Thread: how to test aux fan e34?

My Cars
    95 740

how to test aux fan e34?

How do u test the auzilery fan can anyone tell me how to test it wat wires go to wat if u hav to use jumper cables to the possitive terminal i mean i dont kno how to do this lol

My Cars
    BMWs
    Ideally you can just jumper the switch at the radiator. Its a thermal switch. If you jump the switch the fan should run.

My Cars
    95 740
    How do i jump it

My Cars
    E30/E34/E36/MK2GLI/E46M3
    Just turn on the A/C

My Cars
    91 318is, 92 E34 Touring
    auzilery.... gonna have to use that one.

1992 525iT, Manual Swap, Bilstien Sport struts, H&R springs, Style 32 17" wheels (17x8 fronts, 17x9 rears), ACS exhaust, Euro cluster, Wilwood SL6R BBK on E38 rotors

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by jhonmagee View Post
    How do i jump it
    Google. Everyone, lets leave him to his own devices and see if he can figure it out. I used google and did it for my cars, let us see 'wat' he can figure out by himself.

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    But he could cheat and read post four though

OP, last week I came across some good info for methodically checking aux fan issues. My googler is pretty sweet though

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post

OP, last week I came across some good info for methodically checking aux fan issues. My googler is pretty sweet though
    Bet he doesn't and asks someone to google it for him. Lol my googler is pretty sweet too. I type in stuff, press search and amazingly answers appear.

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    One thing I'll say: if you're like me and don't really know what you're doing, at times google can be a bit panic inducing and/or dangerous..

My Cars
    2012 zx14r, 1995 540it/6
    buy a power probe, isolate the component from the circuit and actuate it manually

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by bradbusa View Post
    buy a power probe, isolate the component from the circuit and actuate it manually
    Get piece of wire. Follow instructions on Internet to jump circuit. ???? Profit

My Cars
    e34 535i 'Hulk'
    Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post

Care to share? I'll probably need to check mine, but most resources I have found seems quite vague about checking fan.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Unplug plug from sensor on side of radiator, there are three terminals, use paper clip to jump a terminal to ground, there will be a low and high speed.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The first and easiest check is for a seized motor, poke a tool through the grill and check if the fan blades turn. It ought to spin freely, if not it's junk. To check a motor that spins free connect ground to the brown wire and apply 12v to the blu/blk wire for the low speed. If it does not operate apply 12v to the solid blue wire, if it operates the motor is good and low speed resistor is open(bad).

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The first and easiest check is for a seized motor, poke a tool through the grill and check if the fan blades turn. It ought to spin freely, if not it's junk. To check a motor that spins free connect ground to the brown wire and apply 12v to the blu/blk wire for the low speed. If it does not operate apply 12v to the solid blue wire, if it operates the motor is good and low speed resistor is open(bad).
    Yep the aux fan seems to be working fine. Spinning freely appears intact, and turns on and off with the AC.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!