Which is the worst
    With a loud pop
    It came to a stop
    Giggling like a girl after the glitch
    We are reminded that torque is a bitch

My Cars
    skateboard
    Correct
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    I would like to note that the time spent in the car before the mishap was nothing short of ridiculous. The car pulls like a rocket ship. Most impressive is the full grip after 1st gear(on 21 psi). The whole time, the turbo is just dying to spool. I was very impressed with the drivability and idle characteristics with those huge injectors. I apreciate Jonathan breaking his stuff to show me what I'm missing building a 5 series tank. I was proud to hook a strap to my truck and pull the "PAPER W8" back to his house for all to see.

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Hosted the Z3 fix it day yesterday. Great turnout, great weather. Think I saw at least 20 different BMWs come up though my driveway, none newer than 2002.

Once my headstuds were checked for proper torque (this time, they barely moved), Clay decided to taunt me until I took him out for a ride. Of course, I felt obligated. Very obligated.

We drove the streets of Thayerland for a few minutes to warm up the oil while enjoying the sweet smell of burning ethanol and enjoying the driveability of giant injectors on a stock RK tuned DME. With the controller left on 1.5bar, we romped a few times. I'm not sure if Clay was more intrigued with the gut sucking acceleration or the cranium destroying deceleration of big tires and walloping brakes. On the ascent back to the compound, it was decided that we should try a higher boost setting, a modest 1.8bar. The tires were sticky and the road was clear but the driveshaft was not up for the job. No hop, just a pop. Called home for a ride and was greeted by two awesome guys willing and ready to make fun of my demise. Clay and I then grabbed a strap and used his Exploder to flat tow it back to the house. There is video to come and pictures of the embarrassment.

I leave you with a pretzel (this is #3):

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    I would like to note that the time spent in the car before the mishap was nothing short of ridiculous. The car pulls like a rocket ship. Most impressive is the full grip after 1st gear(on 21 psi). The whole time, the turbo is just dying to spool. I was very impressed with the drivability and idle characteristics with those huge injectors. I apreciate Jonathan breaking his stuff to show me what I'm missing building a 5 series tank. I was proud to hook a strap to my truck and pull the "PAPER W8" back to his house for all to see.
    Are you rethinking using LS motors?

I keed

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Hosted the Z3 fix it day yesterday. Great turnout, great weather. Think I saw at least 20 different BMWs come up though my driveway, none newer than 2002.

Once my headstuds were checked for proper torque (this time, they barely moved), Clay decided to taunt me until I took him out for a ride. Of course, I felt obligated. Very obligated.

We drove the streets of Thayerland for a few minutes to warm up the oil while enjoying the sweet smell of burning ethanol and enjoying the driveability of giant injectors on a stock RK tuned DME. With the controller left on 1.5bar, we romped a few times. I'm not sure if Clay was more intrigued with the gut sucking acceleration or the cranium destroying deceleration of big tires and walloping brakes. On the ascent back to the compound, it was decided that we should try a higher boost setting, a modest 1.8bar. The tires were sticky and the road was clear but the driveshaft was not up for the job. No hop, just a pop. Called home for a ride and was greeted by two awesome guys willing and ready to make fun of my demise. Clay and I then grabbed a strap and used his Exploder to flat tow it back to the house. There is video to come and pictures of the embarrassment.

I leave you with a pretzel (this is #3):
    Man that has to be an amazing feeling to have that amount of tractions along with an OBD2 RK tuned DME with the sweet smell of ethanol. Btw do e36 m3 driveshafts fit the M coupe?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Sounds like time for a built driveshaft. George knows a guy who knows a guy if you wanna hit him up.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    Sounds like time for a built driveshaft. George knows a guy who knows a guy if you wanna hit him up.
    I am on it, I need one for myself also hence I am still on a stock drive-shaft.... go figure.

My Cars
    TT02 330i, 97 ICSTurboM3
    Quote Originally Posted by ICS Performance View Post

I am on it, I need one for myself also hence I am still on a stock drive-shaft.... go figure.
    Hey I need one also!
    (A WORD FROM THE MESSIAH)) THEY OBSERVE YOU, CRITICIZE YOU, ENVY YOU, AND AT THE END THEY IMITATE YOU.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    There are options for your car already, none for the m coupe. George is getting something made for the coupe that's never been done before.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Always great to read new posts in this thread. Ahhhhhh...more torque more smiles more problems lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    There are options for your car already, none for the m coupe. George is getting something made for the coupe that's never been done before.
    You and George are creating more demand for the shoe!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post

I keed

Man that has to be an amazing feeling to have that amount of tractions along with an OBD2 RK tuned DME with the sweet smell of ethanol. Btw do e36 m3 driveshafts fit the M coupe?
    E36 driveshafts are an incorrect length. The Z3M shafts are unique to the Z3M, no other BMW uses the same length shaft.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    When I had my driveshaft shortened for the six speed I had the guy replace the forward tube with a thicker gauge tube. You could probably take the twisted bits to a local drive shaft shop and have the same done.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    When I had my driveshaft shortened for the six speed I had the guy replace the forward tube with a thicker gauge tube. You could probably take the twisted bits to a local drive shaft shop and have the same done.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    I posted this in my other thread, I think it's applicable towards your comment too. Of the three shafts I've broken, two have been at the bottle neck, but the other one was at the connecting spline. I don't think that beefing up the front will allow for a much longer life.

This isn't the first time I've done this - however this one was just easier to do. I guess I finally have enough traction in the rear. LoL.

Through my torture testing, there are two weak spots in the driveshaft. The first is the bottleneck where it steps from 2" to 3" in the front. The second weak spot is the connecting splice between the two halves.

I have the front half off that is still good off one of my old broken ones, so I should have it back on the road later this week. Just need to tell myself to keep out of the throttle until 3rd gear. One must realize that it probably was seeing >2500 ft.lb. of torque when it broke (approx 600 ft.lb. at engine x 4.23 transmission multiplier).

As far as the driveshaft hoop - it's not necessary with the stock 2 piece as it is two very short lengths and will bend very easily if broken and needed and there is no real provision for it on our cars. Now if / when I convert to a single piece steel, it is necessary and they typically bolt to the location where the CSB is at stock configuration.

My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Lol, you so funny

I have no concerns with my power plant... Just the 4k pound turd it's attached to!

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    The tow of shame ... LOL

My Cars
    E39
    The tow of shame ... LOL
    New iPad wallpaper! Lol

My Cars
    00 528iT | 95 325is

I think you need some F[ound]O[n]R[oad]D[ead] Badges

;-)

forsrs though, this thing is a monster, and sounds quieter and more civilized than most BMWs i see in this area. Yet would smoke all but the most exorbitant builds (from a roll... :-D). This is by far the most insane and well planned build ive have the pleasure of working on, or seeing for that matter. No rice, no flashy bits; just ludicrous torque!

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    wow! Nice power and a nice list of goodies. Solid package overall.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Just a quick video of the car idling with the giant 115# injectors. The only thing you're missing is the great smell of burning ethanol.

- - - Updated - - -

A look under Mindy's skirt ... she likes it when you look.

My Cars
    97 m3
    Just a quick video of the car idling with the giant 115# injectors. The only thing you're missing is the great smell of burning ethanol.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6t9dWXVr8

- - - Updated - - -

A look under Mindy's skirt ... she likes it when you look.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76yOE0Hao8
    Looks awesome Jonathan.

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Jon, are you going to stray from oem on the drive shaft, or just replace it with another factory piece? Did you mention what boost level you were on when it happened. The 2nd owner who purchased Omar's car for only a few months actually took out second gear. He was running 22 psi, and really let the car have it, and it he damaged the trans. AA thoughts were that the limits of the stock trans were right at the power level they had tuned, and didn't want to go any further. Obviously, driving style has a log to do with it, but most of all, available traction at the moment of destruction, which yours was likely hooking up nicely.

Is it even worth straying from OEM on this? possible to reinforce the OEM driveshaft? Are you dual ear on your diff? Randy Forbes kit?

If Omar was the pioneer of turbocharging the coupe, you have certainly been the component threshold strength tester. Hopefully you can get it back on the road soon. Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also going to tackle my CCV setup, I have considered doing it into the exhaust like you have. I know people have done it with mixed results. What components did you use. Great tour of the under belly.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    Jon, are you going to stray from oem on the drive shaft, or just replace it with another factory piece? Did you mention what boost level you were on when it happened. The 2nd owner who purchased Omar's car for only a few months actually took out second gear. He was running 22 psi, and really let the car have it, and it he damaged the trans. AA thoughts were that the limits of the stock trans were right at the power level they had tuned, and didn't want to go any further. Obviously, driving style has a log to do with it, but most of all, available traction at the moment of destruction, which yours was likely hooking up nicely.

Is it even worth straying from OEM on this? possible to reinforce the OEM driveshaft? Are you dual ear on your diff? Randy Forbes kit?

If Omar was the pioneer of turbocharging the coupe, you have certainly been the component threshold strength tester. Hopefully you can get it back on the road soon. Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also going to tackle my CCV setup, I have considered doing it into the exhaust like you have. I know people have done it with mixed results. What components did you use. Great tour of the under belly.
    I took it out for a drive this evening. I put another stock front section on the driveshaft. It will by no means hold - and I don't expect it to. Working on solutions to put something much more robust in there. Lets just say the two highest torque M Coupe owners are trying to figure this out together as we're both at the level of traction and torque that the factory shaft can't hold. The one disadvantage of going with longer gears is just this! But hopefully a (good) solution will be found. There's no good way to beef up the factory driveshaft and I've broken them at both the front bottle neck and center slip joint.

When this one broke, there was no hesitation. At 1.8bar and a 5k launch in 1st. I expect the engine was making >500tq and with the 4.2 multiplier it was just too much for the shaft. But it's nuts to break it on the street. Heck, there's no chance it will hold at the strip

The subframe reinforcement is insanely robust. Think of two 1/2 steel plates tied together with 3 pcs of DOM cage tubing with a boxed diff ear mount. There's no point in going dual ear if you can make the one steady enough (which is covered).

The CCV is a summit racing kit. 'Merican car parts. Get 'er done. Works well!!!

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the trans, my biggest concern is the unsupported 3rd gear. Since I can actually use all the power there and load the car properly, there's a good probability that it will let go there. I may also need to consider a fluid cooler at some point, but want to see how it fares this summer first.

I put the car back on the spring (no controller) and it feels so slow now. I've already grown used to the 21psi that everything else feels like childsplay. Need to keep it in once piece as I want to drive it to Charlotte, NC on Thursday for DSS.

My Cars
    E39
    $5 says its back on the controller before Richmond

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Today is picture day - I have almost 100 pictures to post up so I'll be doing it through the day. All are sequential per the date stamp in my phone. I'll try to add some comments; feel free to ask questions (p.s. make sure to quote just the picture you are talking about!)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, looks like it's going to need to wait until I find a new photo hosting service because Google is sucking a big one this morning. Sigh.

My Cars
    00 528iT | 95 325is

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast