Thread: Mindy's Reincarnation

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    We shall agree to disagree.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Jonathan,
    Did you setup no lift shift and did yours cone wroth launch control?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Gents,

I would be extremely careful with setting up no-lift shifting strategies using spark cut on a turbo car.

Indycar had a number of engine incidents in 2011/2012 that were found to be the direct result of the shift strategy. It's not as simple as it seems...

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Racelogic uses injector cut not ignition cut.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    There were problems with both ignition and fuel cuts for gear changes.

Ignition cuts were causing exhaust manifold explosions.

To quote one engine supplier on fuel injector cuts:

"However, with port injection it doesn't cut cleanly but it goes lean over two or three engine cycles, and that slow-burning lean mixture can cause spitting-back from the cylinder up the port, and that can cause a fire in the plenum."

My Cars
    Turbo S52 E39 M5
    Question: Have there been any revisions/changes to the Spa manifold over the last 5 years? I am running a T3 spa that was purchased in late 2007/early 2008. I'm wondering if this manifold has the same power potential as the unit that Jonathan's using. I am running a 6266 with a .82 a/r hot side.

I'm very curious to know, because I felt like the manifold and turbine housing were my next "choke" point on my car. But after seeing this car make big power on a t3 spa and small turbine housing, it's made me have second thoughts.

Admittedly I am sticking to 93 and 110 gasoline, but I'm still very curious to know at what point I will have to upgrade my manifold. I found it interesting as well to hear Mike R. discuss his experience logging exhaust manifold pressure on his setup. Makes me want to tap my mani to keep an eye on things as I continue to turn the boost up.

Are any of you that are using cast manifolds logging EGT's?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by litemup View Post
    Are any of you that are using cast manifolds logging EGT's?
    EGT and EGP:

My Cars
    Out of Service
    You might have the old SPA manifold that has a solid flange. The newer ones are cut between each port on the flange and have shown better resistance to cracking. For a while the SPA manifold had a common flange that was drilled for both T3 and T4, but now I think they are completely separate manifolds for T3 and T4.

I think Chickenhed is logging egt on his steed speed, but that's not really a SPA
    Last edited by cragg56; 11-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post

EGT and EGP:
    What are you doing with the EGP data?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    What are you doing with the EGP data?
    It's a safety measure for nitrous use.

Adding nitrous increases engine exhaust flow without increasing the turbo induction flow. It has to be bypassed by the WG, or boost is affected. At some point, the WG flow will be maxed out causing the exhaust manifold pressure to increase, at which point nitrous flow will be limited by the EMS.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 11-29-2013 at 06:04 AM.

My Cars
    Turbo S52 E39 M5

Adding nitrous increases engine exhaust flow without increasing the turbo induction flow. It has to be bypassed by the WG, or boost is affected. At some point, the WG flow will be maxed out causing the exhaust manifold pressure to increase, at which point nitrous flow will be limited by the EMS.
    I found it very interesting to see you tapped into the wastegate dump tube. Now it makes sense. Very cool.

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Indeed very cool, its impressive some of the things guys on these forums are doing!
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    '97 M3
    My Steed speed is drilled for EGT and EGP. I was only using the EGP numbers to see what exhaust pressures it was taking to produce the boost in the intake to get an idea for cam set up and if I should have a bigger turbo or not.

Sent from my GTX3582R

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Soooo, I ain't done shit lately with the car. Started it up a few times and let it warm up, but nothing more. I bought Ryan's ZF he had for sale so that will need to go in sometime. No rush however as it's just too cold to be boosting around.

Trans back will be coming out this winter for some needed R&R. This also gives me the opportunity to see how that UUC clutch is really holding up. Also will likely rebuild the differential with new bearings and maybe some new magic. Also need to replace a leaky CV boot/axle. I'll make sure to take pictures and provide information.

But I'm taking it easy until after the holidays!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Mike is using an s54 trans I believe, why not one of those? Or is that what you are already using?
    That's on the wish list, but I'm pretty sure those things are expensive. Also it would require me getting ANOTHER driveshaft made. I'll be sticking to the ZF 5-Speed for some time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    IIRC third gear doesn't have a bearing support plate in these transmissions, and with all the torque you're making, you likely tweaked something more than it wanted to be tweaked

I still want to try cyro treating, but throwing in another used one is so much simpler.

Mike
    Yep, you got it. The unsupported 3rd is now completely unsupported. LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Somewhere on my list of projects is getting ahold of a blown ZF to disect and see if I can make assembly jigs. If you don't make trophys from this one, maybe I can pick it up some time for some experimentin'.

On the T56, some factory versions had a 550ft/lb rating, and there are some go-fast goodies made for them. But you would probably like the TR-6060 more. 600 ft/lb and better internal shift mechanisms for smoother feel.
    It's yours when I pull it out if you want to get it. When you take it apart, must post the broken parts pictures here!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Jonathan,
    Did you setup no lift shift and did yours cone wroth launch control?
    Launch control, yes. No lift shift is not wired into the racelogic harness out of the box but I hear it can be done with firmware updates. Not sure I'm ready to break that many parts however.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3

Adam, do you have a build thread going again somewhere?

--Peter

My Cars
    95 M3
    Maybe a solution to this unsupported 3rd gear failure would be to move the torque curve to the right when guys are putting 700+ whp?
    WOT

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    Maybe a solution to this unsupported 3rd gear failure would be to move the torque curve to the right when guys are putting 700+ whp?
    Blasphemy!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Blasphemy!
    Funny, your the second person to say that word to me in two days! My critical thinking, thought this would be a good discussion topic, torque on OP.

I do have a question / concern about the DME with race logic. Are you running sequential injector timing or batch? If batch, how do you not lean out when race logic is activated?
    WOT

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Funny, your the second person to say that word to me in two days! My critical thinking, thought this would be a good discussion topic, torque on OP.

There is no love for centrifugal superchargers here.... the ultimate in right-shift.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe

I do have a question / concern about the DME with race logic. Are you running sequential injector timing or batch? If batch, how do you not lean out when race logic is activated?
    1) Earlier torque in the power curve is the future. Hence...the answer is better parts which can handle the power, not lowering the torque hit.
    2) Stock DME only uses sequential. Hence why you must use high impedance injectors and only recently have they made 80lb and above high impedance injectors available which have allowed the stock DME tuners to now go up to 1000whp.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    95 M3
    My apologies for making any comments on curves in your thread. Won't happen again.
    Last edited by hsvturbo; 12-21-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: outside the box.
    WOT

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Not interested in reducing mid-range torque. If anything, I'd like more torque. I hate setups that you have to wind out to get any power.

Drive a 500wtq/700whp car then drive a 700wtq/700whp car. Guaranteed the 700wtq/700whp is much more fun.

Also, not interested in ever using 5th on the dragstrip. The car is geared optimally for 4th gear.

The car is not a drag car, it is a fun car. Fun = torque to the left, not right.

I have a very nice boost controller that I could do boost by RPM to keep the torque hit down in mid-range. Hopefully I won't have to utilize it.

If I want to drive a gutless car, I'll get in the Z4M. LoL.

Merry Holidays!
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 12-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Not interested in reducing mid-range torque. If anything, I'd like more torque. I hate setups that you have to wind out to get any power.

Drive a 500wtq/700whp car then drive a 700wtq/700whp car. Guaranteed the 700wtq/700whp is much more fun.

Also, not interested in ever using 5th on the dragstrip. The car is geared optimally for 4th gear.

The car is not a drag car, it is a fun car. Fun = torque to the left, not right.

I have a very nice boost controller that I could do boost by RPM to keep the torque hit down in mid-range. Hopefully I won't have to utilize it.

If I want to drive a gutless car, I'll get in the Z4M. LoL.

Merry Holidays!
    My bad, I didn't know my comment would offend you, therefore I just deleted it. In all honesty, I knew the comment wouldnt change your mind, but it might just make sense to someone else reading your build thread planning to go big power. Who knows, maybe they would go to the right. My appologies again. You know, we are on the same team, promoting boosted BMW's. Sigh
    WOT

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    My bad, I didn't know my comment would offend you, therefore I just deleted it. In all honesty, I knew the comment wouldnt change your mind, but it might just make sense to someone else reading your build thread planning to go big power. Who knows, maybe they would go to the right. My appologies again. You know, we are on the same team, promoting boosted BMW's. Sigh
    Hey bud, put the comment back. It's important to show information to all. For a drag car, shifting right would work! Just not for me and the intended purpose of the car.

BTW - not offended at all! Different strokes for different folks!
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 12-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    If we want to get into hsvturbo's shift to the right for a drag car convo we can simply follow Mike Radowski's car. Basically same peak power was just shifted to the left and a new record was achieved. heck...he nearly broke into the 8s. Sorta blows the shift to the right for a drag car is better argument and we all know shifting to the left for a street car is better. I did the 76gts for the street and even at 32psi = no thanks!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast