Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Mindy's Reincarnation

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Torque happened. LoL. And I love torque. All of it. All the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish there was a light that illuminates when something is about to break.

That way, you could look at your passenger and say "wanna see something cool".

The only disappointment I have is this happened on just the spring - come on, at least give me the chance to use the controller. Was able to still drive it home (was right down the street) in higher gears with the trans trying to spit metal chunks out. Hahahahaha.
    You mean you didn't have it turned up to full boost? Ah come on you are always on e85, just keep it at 32psi or so.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    So now what? Gonna beef up an oem tranny orrrrr?

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MMR View Post
    Damn, not good to hear.
    Shit happens! In the scheme of things, replacing a transmission is a small thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    I'm surprised it lasted so long at that torque level.
    You and me too. Haven't been 'easy' on it either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    You mean you didn't have it turned up to full boost? Ah come on you are always on e85, just keep it at 32psi or so.
    You're crazy. HAHA. Yeah, I've just been on the spring since putting it in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So now what? Gonna beef up an oem tranny orrrrr?
    For now, I'm just going to throw in another stock transmission. Ryan is holding his for me. Just got to figure out when I can drive the 7 hour round trip to get it, or figure out how to ship it up.

Now as far as the long haul, I'm going to start exploring my transmission options.

The good news this happened at a great time - it's getting too cold to drive the car safely now. I'm going to take the cold months to pull the trans, driveshaft, differential, axles, etc. and inspect/clean.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    I can meet ya somewhere too. Maybe sometime this long weekend.
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I wouldnt beef up a trans, I would be shooting for a t56.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Do you plan to inspect the transmission and pull it apart to find what broke? I would be curious to see what failed inside yours.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    I wouldnt beef up a trans, I would be shooting for a t56.
    I'll stick with BMW transmissions until I really start breaking them. Mind you that even Mike R is still running a BMW transmission. The obvious solution is to turn down the power. But that's no fun.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    A stock t56 is only rated for 450 ft lbs. they will handle 600 for a little while. The zf is cheap and easy.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Do you plan to inspect the transmission and pull it apart to find what broke? I would be curious to see what failed inside yours.

Mike
    If I can figure out how to get it cracked open without the use of a sledge hammer, I will report.

Based on the sound of metal chunks in the transmission, I likely sheared the teeth off third. That's the only thing that makes sense to me why the rest of the gears will work.

My guess, that good old weak third gave up the ghost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    A stock t56 is only rated for 450 ft lbs. they will handle 600 for a little while. The zf is cheap and easy.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    That solves that one. Although I'd assume they would be much easier to upgrade?

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Mike is using an s54 trans I believe, why not one of those? Or is that what you are already using?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    If I can figure out how to get it cracked open without the use of a sledge hammer, I will report.

Based on the sound of metal chunks in the transmission, I likely sheared the teeth off third. That's the only thing that makes sense to me why the rest of the gears will work.

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC third gear doesn't have a bearing support plate in these transmissions, and with all the torque you're making, you likely tweaked something more than it wanted to be tweaked

I still want to try cyro treating, but throwing in another used one is so much simpler.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    IIRC third gear doesn't have a bearing support plate in these transmissions, and with all the torque you're making, you likely tweaked something more than it wanted to be tweaked

I still want to try cyro treating, but throwing in another used one is so much simpler.

Mike
    CRYO would be good for testing purposes and I can't think of a better car & driver for said testing.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25

- - - Updated - - -

Somewhere on my list of projects is getting ahold of a blown ZF to disect and see if I can make assembly jigs. If you don't make trophys from this one, maybe I can pick it up some time for some experimentin'.

On the T56, some factory versions had a 550ft/lb rating, and there are some go-fast goodies made for them. But you would probably like the TR-6060 more. 600 ft/lb and better internal shift mechanisms for smoother feel.

/.randy

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The T56 is upgradeable but the basic ones cost ~$1000 and the upgraded Magnum is ~$4000. I'm not an expert on the T56, I've just been listening to a buddy with a twin turbo LSx engine in his '71 Camero whine about the weak T56 transmissons and how it is going to cost big bucks to make one reliable.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by charger758 View Post
    Well that is awesome, I would absolutely love that in my car.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by charger758 View Post
    700ft does not work for this car.

Does it fit within the stock trans tunnel?

That question came up at MIR and I hadn't looked into it personally so I did not realize the TH400 is so massive compared to a Powerglide which only needs minor adjustments in the e30 and e36 trans tunnel. Therefore, it is a proper question for the T56 as well. If it is too large for the trans tunnel, then it is worthless for a street car.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Someguy2800 said it fit in the e30 trans tunnel.

My main reason for wanting a t56 is that many many f body guys go up to 600+wtq on stock trans, just because its rated at 450tq doesn't mean thats the limit, think about it, the zf was designed for a 240hp motor.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There are several Z3s that have been converted to LSx in the forums. To quote the builder of one such, PbFut, "Not sure if the torque converter bellhousing will fit in the coupe's tunnel area. The manuals fit very well."

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Someguy2800 said it fit in the e30 trans tunnel.

My main reason for wanting a t56 is that many many f body guys go up to 600+wtq on stock trans, just because its rated at 450tq doesn't mean thats the limit, think about it, the zf was designed for a 240hp motor.
    Thank you for that. Yes that can typically be the case, yet a roll of the dice. We won't know until someone like Jonathan want to be a guinea pig and blast 700+wtq in one to see if it handles it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    There are several Z3s that have been converted to LSx in the forums. To quote the builder of one such, PbFut, "Not sure if the torque converter bellhousing will fit in the coupe's tunnel area. The manuals fit very well."
    Thank you for that information.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I'm really thinking about keeping my SPA and seeing what a T3 6466 can do with some E85.....new turbo, new tune, everything else stays the same (maybe upgrade the fuel system)....
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    I'm really thinking about keeping my SPA and seeing what a T3 6466 can do with some E85.....new turbo, new tune, everything else stays the same (maybe upgrade the fuel system)....
    Smart man!

Didn't even know they had a t3 6466. WIN!

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    http://realstreetperformance.com/sto...rger-3159.html

Almost $2k for the turbo....then the fuel system and tuning....probably safe to budget $5k
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Honestly, a healthy, stock t-56 is way under rated at 450 lb/ft. How you drive becomes a factor in its reliability. Also, a turbo 6 cylinder may be easier on it then a Whipple s/c'd 6.0 engine with 500+ lb/ft at 2000 rpm. Power/torque delivery can greatly sway a transmissions ability to not come "untogether"

- - - Updated - - -

all that being said, i think a BMW transmission deserves another chance.

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    the zf was designed for a 240hp motor.
    And your engine was designed for 170 hp,but appears to be holding very well triple+ this power

Quote Originally Posted by M5Hunter View Post
    Honestly, a healthy, stock t-56 is way under rated at 450 lb/ft. How you drive becomes a factor in its reliability. Also, a turbo 6 cylinder may be easier on it then a Whipple s/c'd 6.0 engine with 500+ lb/ft at 2000 rpm. Power/torque delivery can greatly sway a transmissions ability to not come "untogether"
    5 cylinder with big turbo may have much more "explosive" power delivery than a supercharged V8.More linear nature of the S/C-ed engine may be more gently to the tranny.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast