Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Mindy's Reincarnation

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I like the formulas. Care to post the base formulas? Nice!
    This is my signature....

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    I had been busy getting the car ready for the private rental this last weekend at MIR. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, so I wasn't able to see what it could do now.

I did make some changes.

#1 - Replaced the plugs with the standard 4554 NGK's. These cheap plugs seem to work the best. Since I was getting what I believe was spark blowout, I gapped to .018" this round. Seems to have a bit more of a cranky idle, but no breakup at boost.

The old plugs were installed with .020" gap - came out with the following gaps:

1 - .023" (I think this was the one misfiring)
    2 - .020"
    3 - .021"
    4 - .021"
    5 - .021"
    6 - .020"

#2 - Racelogic is installed. What a total pain in the ass. Hopefully it will help. I'm putting the settings that seems to be working best below. I haven't been able to dial it in 100% yet, but it's working. I have a lot of mechanical grip on the street already, so you gotta wail on it to get it to kick in. I'm thinking autocrosses in the spring will allow me to dial it in much better. I did take the car for a long drive in the rain yesterday without much interference. It is much faster than controlling the throttle with my foot.

Last edited by mcoupemindy; 11-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Oh he fancy uh?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I think that it's great that you installed Racelogic. It makes trying to exit a corner less stressful when the turbo decides to spool and gives you more capacity to work on timing when boost happens. You will love it once you start trusting it.

If you think it is shuddering too much then lift off the gas a bit. You can almost use it as 'training wheels' for driving a high hp car if you pay attention to when it is doing its thing.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Continuous change
    Nice meeting you yesterday, your car is a beast!

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    I was lucky enough to be in the passenger seat running through 3-4 gears in this car at "only" 27psi. She is the reason and also why I now know I made the perfect decision to go with the SPA manifold and e85.

Now...I am even thinking about going to the same SPA turbo that he has. This car has the best powerband I have ever felt period.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Isn't the closest turbo to the SPA 7000 a GT4088R?

Cam, get the new GTX4088R!

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Isn't the closest turbo to the SPA 7000 a GT4088R?

Cam, get the new GTX4088R!

Sent from my GTX3582R
    It would be good to break them both down mathematically. First of all the GT4088R is only available in a t4 divided housing of .85 or .95 (might have a larger one than .95 but no need for that). The SPA 7000 that Jonathan is using has a t3 .63 a/r open turbine housing. Now that is small. Although I do not know if there is data on the absolute volume of each turbine housing as that would help immensely with this conversation. I saw the .63 a/r housing with my own two eyes and it is incredibly small. Proof is obviously in the pudding though and there is a ton of proof in this thread.

We haven't even started with the difference regarding the turbine wheel and compressor wheel.

Hopefully Jonathan will have some time to respond to this as he might have all the data necessary and he is a math whiz.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    It would be good to break them both down mathematically. First of all the GT4088R is only available in a t4 divided housing of .85 or .95 (might have a larger one than .95 but no need for that). The SPA 7000 that Jonathan is using has a t3 .63 a/r open turbine housing. Now that is small. Although I do not know if there is data on the absolute volume of each turbine housing as that would help immensely with this conversation. I saw the .63 a/r housing with my own two eyes and it is incredibly small. Proof is obviously in the pudding though and there is a ton of proof in this thread.

We haven't even started with the difference regarding the turbine wheel and compressor wheel.

Hopefully Jonathan will have some time to respond to this as he might have all the data necessary and he is a math whiz.
    I would assume hands down that the GTX wheels are going to be more efficient. That said, here's a dimensional comparison.

SPA 7000M Garrett GTX4088R
    Compressor Inducer 65.0 mm 63.5 mm
    Compressor Exducer 96.3 mm 88.0 mm
    Turbine Exducer 73.5 mm 77.0 mm
    Turbine Inducer 63.9 mm 68.0 mm

You'll see that the raw size of the compressor on the SPA 7000M is closer to a GT42 than a GT40, yet the hot side is much smaller, almost GT35ish. Everything shows that these engines do well with smaller hot sides for reasonable power levels (not 1000whp - that's a whole different game).

I don't have pure math to support anything here and this is only my opinion. Pure math is going to be hard on this.
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 11-18-2013 at 09:26 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Not many on here use the SPA 7000, this is a TRM stage 2 option correct ? Wonder why its not used as much, looking @ your graphs?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1991 525i M50nv
    Jonathan I sent you an email about that clutch, can you reply?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psykick5 View Post
    Great. You've dropped to the level of 1990525i. Congratulations.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Not many on here use the SPA 7000, this is a TRM stage 2 option correct ? Wonder why its not used as much, looking @ your graphs?
    It's considered "lazy" at low boost levels, but clearly it has been shown to shine at higher PR.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    It's considered "lazy" at low boost levels, but clearly it has been shown to shine at higher PR.
    Exactly. For pressure under 20ish PSI, I would not recommend the SPA 7000M. It is a large frame turbo and requires some "ass" to get it spooled up. It really shines between 26-30psi. Even though the wastegate is still open at 32-33psi, I'm not sure how much more it has in it, if anything.

If you compare to a GT4094 compressor (similar dimensions), you'll see that at 3bar absolute, I'm likely nearing the end of any efficiency. On our efficient engines, we typically get about 10whp per lb/min. If I was to be a betting man, I'd say the 7000M would be completely tapped out at 800whp at roughly 36-37psi.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    The SPA7000M is a beast no doubt! I loved it on my SPA. Hard hit at 4500 rpm on my M52, and a rocket to redline. 500/460 @ 19 psi on pump.

Jonathan - I want a Go Pro in car at 32 psi with an external mic, 60-130 please. I'll even let you borrow a Go Pro

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    The SPA7000M is a beast no doubt! I loved it on my SPA. Hard hit at 4500 rpm on my M52, and a rocket to redline. 500/460 @ 19 psi on pump.

Jonathan - I want a Go Pro in car at 32 psi with an external mic, 60-130 please. I'll even let you borrow a Go Pro

Mike
    Mike,

We had the cameras, GoPro's, Mics, etc. ready for last weekend at MIR. But that didn't pan out unfortunately. 60-130 videos now will have to wait until the spring because I'm not going to be a dumbass and do that stuff on the street!

What I will tell you is with the Racelogic, the car will consistently pull sub 4.0s 0-60 times (log verified).

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    What I will tell you is with the Racelogic, the car will consistently pull sub 4.0s 0-60 times (log verified).
    Awesome. Also, thanks for posting your RL calibration info. If I ever get my car running I will be needing that info to use as my initial setup.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    Awesome. Also, thanks for posting your RL calibration info. If I ever get my car running I will be needing that info to use as my initial setup.
    One recommendation I have is to go to your tire manufacturer's website and look up the diameter there and convert to mm. You can't trust just using the printed tire size to convert as it could be way off.

I also have all my stored slip info turned WAY down as I wanted to be able to refine down to almost no slip with the controller. Note that the percentage on the controller is added to all these values thus these are basically the wet values.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Bye bye transmission.

http://instagram.com/p/hEb4A6Igxp/

My Cars
    e36 m3, turbo e36
    Lol. I love the commentary.

What happened?

-sold...replaced by turbo e36

My Cars
    cub scout

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe

Finally! You broke it. You must be so stoked since you had been disappointed that it had not broke. :P

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by beeasy View Post
    Lol. I love the commentary.

What happened?
    Torque happened. LoL. And I love torque. All of it. All the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post

Finally! You broke it. You must be so stoked since you had been disappointed that it had not broke. :P
    I wish there was a light that illuminates when something is about to break.

That way, you could look at your passenger and say "wanna see something cool".

The only disappointment I have is this happened on just the spring - come on, at least give me the chance to use the controller. Was able to still drive it home (was right down the street) in higher gears with the trans trying to spit metal chunks out. Hahahahaha.

My Cars
    Turbo M Rdstr
    Damn, not good to hear.
    ICS built Turbo M Roadster

My Cars
    85 318i
    I'm surprised it lasted so long at that torque level.
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast