Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Mindy's Reincarnation

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    I spent 2+ years trying to get half-shafts made by a number of other vendors that would hold up. It was a very disappointing experience, I ended up back at DSS. (When I first contacted them, they refused to take on my project)

If you've found another option, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. Some vendors held my half-shafts for months with empty promises; maybe I can give you a tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    spending $1000 on getting my M Coupe axles built by DSS is some of the best money I ever spent on my car this is the third season and not one broken axle with a consistent 1.3 sec 60 ft times. it is definitely worth the money.
    Guys, you read me wrong. I'm going with another set of stock axles for now. If / when I break these, I'll get a set of DSS ones. I've already talked to Frank (owner) about them. Unfortunately they are ~$1800. I need at least another year before I can save that dime. I'll be hard pressed to pull anything sub 2.0 60' when I go to the strip, so I'm hoping they will hold together. Just one more weak component and I should be ready to give it a shot.

I'm actually hoping a special designed "one" off piece will be arriving in the next few weeks from them.

My Cars
    many
    1800 ??? They charge me the same amount as what they charge to build the e36 m3 axles. has the price went up that much in two and a half years?
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    2001 330i
    1800 ??? They charge me the same amount as what they charge to build the e36 m3 axles. has the price went up that much in two and a half years?
    Probably the total cost of starting with new OEM cores, and having them upgraded.

My total was well over $2k by the time they landed in Canada.

My Cars
    skateboard
    spending $1000 on getting my M Coupe axles built by DSS is some of the best money I ever spent on my car this is the third season and not one broken axle with a consistent 1.3 sec 60 ft times. it is definitely worth the money.
    Sweet. Mindy call em up.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    many
    Just send them your broken ones the only part they need to reuse is the outer cup. everything else is getting replaced. and also it looks like the e36 m3 axles are still $1000 to be done by them so it should be same price.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    Out of Service

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i
    what a guy gotta do to get a diff built?

1996 328is SOLD 2001 525i-SOLD 1998 E36 M3-SOLD
    2009 E60 M5-SOLD 2008 E60 545i-SOLD
    2009 BMW 135i FBO MHD stage 2+ (work in progress)

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Just send them your broken ones the only part they need to reuse is the outer cup. everything else is getting replaced. and also it looks like the e36 m3 axles are still $1000 to be done by them so it should be same price.
    Yeah, might be the case. I don't remember things as well as I used to. LoL. With all the money I've dumped into the pit this year (and with the new daily), it still is going to have to wait until next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    If you want another set of spares I would snag these.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...nd-110-shipped
    Thanks for the heads up. Those are pretty cheap. Good to keep around for spares.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by e39alpine5 View Post
    what a guy gotta do to get a diff built?
    Just shoot me an email - jonathan.michael.thayer@gmail.com

I am a bit behind on responding to everyone if you've already emailed.

My Cars
    00 Z3 Cpe, 02 MCS, 99 Miata,77 Fiat Spider plus...
    Did you get my email?

My Cars
    E92 M3
    This is an excellent build thread, Jon thank you for your transparency! Well thought out and executed.

A quick question for you, what size is your waste gate? At your lowest setting is there any creep?

Again thank you for sharing.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad5161 View Post
    Did you get my email?
    Brad, I am sorry that I didn't respond sooner. I sent you an email a little bit ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E362j View Post
    This is an excellent build thread, Jon thank you for your transparency! Well thought out and executed.

A quick question for you, what size is your waste gate? At your lowest setting is there any creep?

Again thank you for sharing.
    No problem! Thank you for the positive comments.

The wastegate is a TiAL MV-S. It is small at 38mm, however I have some serious packaging problems within the Z3 chassis. That said, it does creep and it doesn't bother me one bit. Creep is dependent on the spring. With a 4psi spring, it will creep to 10 psi. With 15psi springs, it creeps to 20psi. Creep however doesn't bother me as it just adds pressure outside the torque band where it needs it. Once the controller is hooked up, creep is minimized and boost is relatively flat. My car was not built to accept low power levels. There are some tricks to minimize it however. Simple stuff like re-entering wastegate gas into the exhaust (I open dump) would tremendously help. Also porting out the wastegate port on the manifold would help too.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Open dump ftw.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help btw I appreciate that.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Mindy is a sexy hardcore redhead. There is no slow setting, she's fast baby!

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Check out my shaft ...

Sh!t just got serious.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Looks like it has a wrinkle finish to it. Does it? Also did it arrive with any chips out of the paint? I like the wrinkle finish if it really is and it's prettier than mine

Last edited by cragg56; 08-22-2013 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    00 528iT | 95 325is
    looks like someone is going to shred some tires!

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Oh. I also forgot to note that Driveshaft Shop is recalling my driveshaft due to vibration issues apparently (First I had heard of it, but apparently people are reporting issues, just not on bimmerforums). They are redesigning the shaft and experimenting with the CV on the front. If you haven't talked to them about this, I would suggest you do before you install yours.
    Last edited by cragg56; 08-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Oh. I also forgot to note that Driveshaft Shop is recalling my driveshaft due to vibration issues apparently (First I had heard of it, but apparently people are reporting issues, just not on bimmerforums). They are redesigning the shaft and experimenting with the CV on the front. If you haven't talked to them about this, I would suggest you do before you install yours.
    Notice that mine has the CV on the front - there's no way I could fit that thing through the E30 subframe!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it has a wrinkle finish to it. Does it? Also did it arrive with any chips out of the paint? I like the wrinkle finish if it really is and it's prettier than mine
    It's the same finish. There's a couple of flaws in it, but who cares, it's going to get all coated with wastegate blowout and road debris shortly.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Notice that mine has the CV on the front - there's no way I could fit that thing through the E30 subframe!

- - - Updated - - -

It's the same finish. There's a couple of flaws in it, but who cares, it's going to get all coated with wastegate blowout and road debris shortly.
    I was wondering why what I thought was the rear looked so different. My shaft is headed back to DSS, but they said it would be a few weeks before they finish testing the CV on the front. Looks like they are full of BS on that or maybe you are a test victim. I am hoping the first one.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    I was wondering why what I thought was the rear looked so different. My shaft is headed back to DSS, but they said it would be a few weeks before they finish testing the CV on the front. Looks like they are full of BS on that or maybe you are a test victim. I am hoping the first one.
    A CV on the front of a driveshaft is a super old trick. Jeep guys have been using this method since before my time. I'm hoping for no vibrations, but I'll really take whatever I can get. I also run a long rear end and the shaft is much shorter than an e36 so it has a much higher rpm limit. If you look at their website, many of their other driveshafts feature a CV on the front. I am however worried about clearance between the CV and the shift selector - I won't know if I have to make a custom selector until fitting it into the car. Again, I'm into uncharted territory with the Z3M chassis - I have several other Z3M owners awaiting results as we never had a solution for a driveshaft previous my work with DSS. I don't hide anything, so if there are problems, you'll hear about it.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    I didn't even think about the selector rod. Hopefully it doesn't interfere

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    So... Does it hold up to boost yet??
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34

shaft envy, ay? ...when comparing to a black shaft, its typical...dont be sad
    Last edited by Captain; 08-24-2013 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

shaft envy, ay? ...when comparing to a black shaft, its typical...dont be sad
    Lol. Total shaft envy...

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    FINALLY!

Now you are ready to show us what this BEAST can do!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast