Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindy's Reincarnation

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    Along with my fuel system question, are you worried about using rubber fuel line with E85? Isn't E85 corrosive to rubber? I'm ignorant when it comes to this admittedly, but I've always heard you need new fuel lines or need to at least eliminate the rubber in the system to make it E85 compatible.

Finally, did you consider using E85 as your fuel when determining the rings and gaps you used? My engine builder always specifies different rings and gaps when the car is going to be run on ethanol due to the added fuel volume (~30%) in the cylinder that can increase effective compression and thereby blowby into the crank case. Are you setup for gasoline or alcohol, or somewhere in between? What does your catch can / PCV solution for this?

Thanks

Mike
    Mike,

Wiseco was consulted with the plan for the car. They were the ones to offer the specifications for everything. They knew the 30psi E85 plan from the get-go. I have been planning this for a bit, just keeping quiet.

I simply pull a crank case scavenge into the exhaust with 1/2 a Moroso kit from Summit Racing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Very excited for you!

So, now that I can keep my SPA T3 manifold....looks like I need a fuel package to convert my system for E85 use.....and now googling where the local E85 stations are!

So vendors out there, I need a SPA7000, fuel package, and OBD I packaged up for us TRM users!
    Call George at ICS - he can get you the goods!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flexer View Post
    One thing playing with motors has taught me is there is no MUST......There is only good, better, and best. For instance Downpipes. Can you make 700 whp on 3" dp. Sure. Will you make more on 3.5", yes. Will you make more on 4". Yes again. Good, better, and best.

My thing is while I'm there in the motor why would I not install BEST if I can afford it and it fits?

Mindy. EPIC power. Sick torque. For sure a record on this platform with a T3. Amazing fuel. Amazing!

And to answer greg's question on comparing the turbo to a Garrett. In the photo he posted it shows a 65 inducer and 96.3 exducer. So high trim favoring high boost pressure, and this turbo is Bigger on the compressor side than a GT40/94R. Healthy size turbo. Very healthy.

J. R.
    Thanks JR - yes, it is a very healthy sized turbo for sure. Everyone used to look at me funny when I said it was just getting into efficiency at 22psi. It's now been proven. The charge temp also remains pretty cold which is a sign that it has more in it. I'm not sure that I've ever seen more power made by one, but I certainly believe it is possible.

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    A little off topic here, but Happy Birthday Jordan .

Hi 5
    +1

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    How is the idle on 93 with the large injectors?
    Like stock - seriously. I've been preaching the benefits of using real, non-rejetted injectors for some time. The only company who makes them is Bosch. All other 1000+cc injectors are just rejetted units, which have a horrible spray pattern and poor resolution.

Bosch now has both 115# and 160# high impedence injectors. All others are subpar. Additionally, they are the only injectors on the market that are E85 certified.

My Cars
    F80, E36, X3"M"
    Happy birthday!

- - - Updated - - -

I have contacts at Bosch so I will have to look into those.
    97 M3 - 8.94@164 - 8 sec street machine, all BMW driveline, factory ECU
    02 M3 - 9.74@145 - Maximum PSI stage 2 turbo kit, stock motor, factory ECU
    16 M3 - 9.3@151 - Built motor/twins
    15 M3 - 9.2@162 - Built motor/single turbo/Ecutek
    BMW SOB's turbo E30 - 8.72@158.39
    follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi - instagram.com/maximumpsi

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post

Like stock - seriously. I've been preaching the benefits of using real, non-rejetted injectors for some time. The only company who makes them is Bosch. All other 1000+cc injectors are just rejetted units, which have a horrible spray pattern and poor resolution.

Bosch now has both 115# and 160# high impedence injectors. All others are subpar. Additionally, they are the only injectors on the market that are E85 certified.
    Even ID (the purple ones)?
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"

Jon, how do you think my 1200cc Bosch high impedence injectors differ from the ones you purchased? Got mine from FIC (fuel injector connection). Notice they don't have them anymore on the website (mine). A year ago, there weren't many options on high impedence injectors, now it looks like there are many more options. 115lb is about 1200cc's? I wonder if they just changed the nomenclature.

I was very worried about my 91 octane idle, and its just as good as the 60lb units that I replaced them with.

- - - Updated - - -
    Have you noticed any difference with a hot start vs a cold start with the e85. Mine takes a few cranks when its hot. When its cold, its perfect. We have tried all kinds of things to improve it. It always starts, but when hot, it's not as stock.
    Last edited by jonesmechanical; 04-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    If it was only that simple, once one has already figured it out. JR has a long standing relationship with engineers at AEM. He is always coming up with crazy ideas, and even tests new products for them. There was multiple people at AEM that said it wasn't possible to do a flex fuel setup on their EMS. This was at the time that PRO EFI was one of the first to really push the whole flex fuel thing. The second the Zeit unit came on the market, JR asked Zeit if they developed it for something like the AEM, and they said no, but it would may work. I haven't seen anyone else anywhere run this simple flex fuel setup on AEM EMS units. It seems very simple, but he on his own figured it out, and it works marvelously. There may be countless others that have done the same, and its a great idea, we just haven't seen any of them.
    Gotcha. I was unnecessarily grumpy in my post, so I edited it out. Thanks for the background on the situation.

Jon, are you using the EV14 injectors?
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Well, I'm not going to go the E85 route for a while....so turbo, tune/injectors for OBD I setup may be in my future
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    Happy birthday!

- - - Updated - - -

I have contacts at Bosch so I will have to look into those.
    Let me know if you need the part number, etc. They are shorter than standard so you have to run hats with them, but that's no problem. I think your customer and you will be very happy with them. They do sound like predator (loud clicking) when running.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Even ID (the purple ones)?
    Correct. I found out through a few sources that all IDs are rejetted smaller injectors. Rejetted injectors are much less precise. Think of the difference between a garden hose without a nozzle and one with a sprinkler attached. That's the problem with rejetting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    Jon, how do you think my 1200cc Bosch high impedence injectors differ from the ones you purchased? Got mine from FIC (fuel injector connection). Notice they don't have them anymore on the website (mine). A year ago, there weren't many options on high impedence injectors, now it looks like there are many more options. 115lb is about 1200cc's? I wonder if they just changed the nomenclature.

I was very worried about my 91 octane idle, and its just as good as the 60lb units that I replaced them with.

- - - Updated - - -
    Have you noticed any difference with a hot start vs a cold start with the e85. Mine takes a few cranks when its hot. When its cold, its perfect. We have tried all kinds of things to improve it. It always starts, but when hot, it's not as stock.
    IIRC, what you are describing is the previous generation of the Motorsport injector. They are good, but they have evolved. Bosch makes good stuff (better than Siemens IMO). Most need to be careful because most of the high impedence injectors are actually CNG for buses and shouldn't really be used with liquid fuels.

Regarding the cold start, check out the video again. Pulling it out of the trailer is a full cold start. Typically fires in 3-4 cranks. It's harder to start than pump fuel. The key to cold start with E85 is a rich idle. Not crazy rich but not stoich. Warm starts fire faster than pump warm starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Gotcha. I was unnecessarily grumpy in my post, so I edited it out. Thanks for the background on the situation.

Jon, are you using the EV14 injectors?
    No, the EV14's are typically just another rejetted injector. IIRC, they are only able off the shelf up to 55#, anything higher is a modified injector.

The only non-modified high flow injectors currently are the bosch racing 115# and 160# injectors.

I highly recommend the gents from Fuel Injector Connection - a while back I talked to the owner in great detail for over an hour. You can tell he's really into cars himself. Here are the links to the two motorsport options:

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=210

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/viewitem.php?productid=191

Notice that the description specially states on both that they are not modified. These are an off the shelf product from Bosch.

Hope this helps!

My Cars
    97 m3
    I highly recommend the gents from Fuel Injector Connection - a while back I talked to the owner in great detail for over an hour. You can tell he's really into cars himself. Here are the links to the two motorsport options:

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...?productid=210

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...?productid=191

Notice that the description specially states on both that they are not modified. These are an off the shelf product from Bosch.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Are these a direct plug and play for our injector harness, or do the clips need to be modified?

My Cars
    Lotus Super 7
    A few guys have cracked the factory EVO ECU to accept a flex fuel signal and self modulate its fueling. It was not perfect yet though. A few guys had it working but were not sharing how they did it.

I have no problem sharing how I do it on the AEM. Wish it was already set-up like one guy said. I think he is thinking of the new infinity ECU which no one has yet. Also AEM has said in an update for the AEM version 2 ECU's flex fuel will be possible, but if you call aem and ask them about the series 1 they will tell you it can't be done. That was before zeitronix gauge though. That really is the secret. It's the secret for the evo guys too.

I would bet it could be figured out on the stock bmw ecu, but I would need jordan to tell me what fuel compensation tables are available? Jordon want to PM me and we might be able to figure it out together?

J. R.
    Last edited by flexer; 04-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Attention TURBO LOVERS, Great book -----> How to turbocharge and Tune your Engine

Favorite Automotive Tuning Articles on the Internet: Engine Tuning Articles
    My Car: Custom Build Lotus Super 7

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 97mreaper View Post
    Are these a direct plug and play for our injector harness, or do the clips need to be modified?
    They have the standard EV1 connector so they are 100% plug and play. Just make sure to call them and let them know what application it is for and they will even include the proper hats to get to the correct length for a BMW application.

Just be warned, they are noisy injectors. You can hear the click/clack as they open and close. But that's so awesome.

My Cars
    99 Mcoupe|12 X5D|11 335D
    Got any pics from underneath of your downpipe, wastegate piping, exhaust, etc...??

Would like to see how that is stuffed into a shoe. I thought I remembered other members having issues fitting cast manifolds in mcoupes....might not have been a SPA though...

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by badluckM3 View Post
    Got any pics from underneath of your downpipe, wastegate piping, exhaust, etc...??

Would like to see how that is stuffed into a shoe. I thought I remembered other members having issues fitting cast manifolds in mcoupes....might not have been a SPA though...
    When you are working with a shoe, you gotta use a shoe horn approach to everything. I don't have a ton of pictures readily available, but I'll snap some next time it's on the lift for you.

My Cars
    99 M coupe

When you are working with a shoe, you gotta use a shoe horn approach to everything. I don't have a ton of pictures readily available, but I'll snap some next time it's on the lift for you.
    +1

Everything is a tighter fit.
    Firewall shape differs compared to e36 coupe/sedan.
    Intercooler space is at a premium compared to e36.
    Nice thing is ECU box is easy to get to and RL fits in there no problem

It's nice to have brawn and beauty

My Cars
    none
    Congrats man! you deserve it!!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    The part I love is Jordan tuned whatever injectors you gave him.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    The part I love is Jordan tuned whatever injectors you gave him.
    Plus 1.

Sent from my Plutonian interplanetary space station
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    A poem.

With tires like rollers and and a clutch with grip,
    He turned up the boost and let the thing rip.
    The boost went up on every pass we made,
    now he needs a driveshaft next time he gets paid.

- - - Updated - - -

It was fun for a minute though.

My Cars
    97 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 357i View Post
    A poem.

With tires like rollers and and a clutch with grip,
    He turned up the boost and let the thing rip.
    The boost went up on every pass we made,
    now he needs a driveshaft next time he gets paid.

- - - Updated - - -

It was fun for a minute though.
    Lol that was good.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    ouch
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    What's another 800 bucks ?
    Call the drive shaft shop, those don't suck.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I do hope you're talking about the last time you guys went out to play. Shirley Jonathon wasn't out trying to impress his house guests this afternoon??

/.randy

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    ouch
    3/4's¿

the torque monster showed that DS who was boss like boss......

Hi 5
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

M5Hunter is offline Still has a E39 Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E39
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I do hope you're talking about the last time you guys went out to play. Shirley Jonathon wasn't out trying to impress his house guests this afternoon??

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast