Thread: 2006 BMW Z4M vs 2013 Subaru WRX STI..

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92

2006 BMW Z4M vs 2013 Subaru WRX STI..

'06 ///M no mods besides the RDSport exhaust.
    '13 WRX STI (full exhaust system, straight pipe, and I know he said something else but i don't quite recall what it was)

He's a buddy of mine, big car enthusiast. He went from driving an SRT8 Jeep, to a GTO (yea i know :/ ) to a C6 Z06, couldn't afford the high payments to went down to the STI. Very nice car. I always knew these cars were quick but wanted to see it for myself. I've bumped into him a few times but we never "truly" raced. First time he was buzzed and i realized that when he was serving so i told him i wouldn't race. 2nd time, he had 2 passengers, he downshifting to first (too low of a gear) and i pretty much smoked him so it wasn't a "fair" race. Now last night i ran into him again right before i got home, he was sober this time lol and alone so we decided to go at it.

1st race: I'm on 2nd gear, i wanna say around 5K RPM, i don't know what he's on at that point. We're rolling, he sounds his cheesy horn and we're off. I didn't think i'd fishtail much but i did :/ His STI being an all wheel drive obviously took off first and jumped about a car and a half in front of me, but as soon as my tires hugged the street, i started reeling him in, slowly but surely. I hit the brakes as there was a car in front of him and i knew he wouldn't slow down, sure enough he passed the car. We hit somewhere around 100 MPH. Considering we had a bad start, we went for another one..

2nd race: We're at the next light and there isn't much traffic in the back, and none in the front by this time, i know he's more than likely the issue, not the car. I'm not too great of a driver either when it comes to take off since i haven't really "practiced". I turn off DSC, we're waiting for light to turn green, as soon as it does, it was obvious that we BOTH weren't confident enough to take off quick, so we both drove off a bit and then balls to the walls after that. S54 again fishtailing but so is his car. He pulled first, but as my car gets enough traction, i start reeling him in, and jump about a car and a half in front of him..?

Once again, i DOUBT he's a good driver, i'm not here to say I won or lost because I really don't know, but really just to say it was a very fun race.
    Last edited by RossBMWZseries; 04-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Sounds like you had a blast. 06 Z4M huh? Dream car right there.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Id say your M should take a STI stock by a length maybe more.
    Good job.

Z4M dream car of mine as well. IMO best looking BMW ever produced.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Definitely I wonder what it would look like in LSB. MY fav color has always been AW for the Z4 M Coupe.

My Cars
    Car
    I've raced a stock 2012 STi against an 07 Z4M. STi will get it to 60, but after that speed it's over. STi's are not fast. From a roll they are remarkably similar to an auto 535i/535xi.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Id say your M should take a STI stock by a length maybe more.
    Good job.

Correct, and with a great motor like the s54 it's gotta be 1 of the best cars they have made period.

Sent from my Plutonian interplanetary space station
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3, 85 318i
    Agreed

Custom Stage 3-ish RMS supercharged E36 M3/4/5
    Frankenstein e30 318i commuter

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman View Post
    Definitely I wonder what it would look like in LSB. MY fav color has always been AW for the Z4 M Coupe.
    Thanks guys I appreciate that I can share the fact that I love this car! A while back, they were selling a Z4 M coupe on eBay painted LSB, it looked great

My Cars
    '08 STI
    Quote Originally Posted by 03basesedan View Post
    I've raced a stock 2012 STi against an 07 Z4M. STi will get it to 60, but after that speed it's over. STi's are not fast. From a roll they are remarkably similar to an auto 535i/535xi.
    This is so true. I got straight walked by a 535i when my car was stock. Granted, the car he raced sounds more like a stage 2 car, which if tuned and driven well should trap like 105-110, so not a bad kill at all.

The more I hang out on this forum the more impressed i am by the n54, that motor is really stout in stock form and has a lot of potential.

If you were local i'd be down to give you a run against a "real" sti, but i don't think it'd be particularly fair.

My Cars
    E39
    All that Sti needs is a stage 2 tune, then its game over. I saw one at the race track this weekend, little Sti was battling with vetted with aero and R compounds. That car is no joke with a good driver behind the wheel.

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
    This is so true. I got straight walked by a 535i when my car was stock. Granted, the car he raced sounds more like a stage 2 car, which if tuned and driven well should trap like 105-110, so not a bad kill at all.

The more I hang out on this forum the more impressed i am by the n54, that motor is really stout in stock form and has a lot of potential.

If you were local i'd be down to give you a run against a "real" sti, but i don't think it'd be particularly fair.
    He did say it was Stage 2, whatever that meant i wanted to race just for fun. I believe you meant "S54", not "N54".
    Yea I don't think it'd be fair if your car is modded but the fun is always there.

My Cars
    '08 STI
    Quote Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
    He did say it was Stage 2, whatever that meant i wanted to race just for fun. I believe you meant "S54", not "N54".
    Yea I don't think it'd be fair if your car is modded but the fun is always there.
    Ah crap, you're right, had been talkin n54 all morning, goofed em up.

For subarus, "stage 2" typically means exhaust and a tune, maybe intake, but that's about it.

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
    Ah crap, you're right, had been talkin n54 all morning, goofed em up.

For subarus, "stage 2" typically means exhaust and a tune, maybe intake, but that's about it.
    Lol it happens. Oh I see. I always hear people say "stage 1, 2, 3" but I always thought they referred got the "power" of the supercharger they were running. The bigger the number, the stronger the supercharger, I learn something new here everyday