Thread: What else do I need to replace since I am changing out the fuel tank?

My Cars
    E30 1991 325i

What else do I need to replace since I am changing out the fuel tank?

This particular e30 is a 07/1987 early model 325i sedan. My fuel tank is rusted from the area where the in tank fuel pump is and thats why I'm changing out the whole thing. I am not very involved in big job mechanics and I also won't be the one primarily doing the job. I just need advice on all the parts I should replace since I have needed to have the fuel pump cleaned a couple of times, it smells of gasoline when tank is full and I know I have been starving the car of fuel once in a while when I feel a lack of power when applying the throttle.

I plan on buying a new in-tank fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel pressure regulator, general hoses, and possibly the electric fuel pump as well, but I am not entirely sure if all of these are in the early models too?

I already received the fuel tank and I know for a fact that i bought the right one. However, please help me in finding out what other things I should replace to make my car function back to normal.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Replace both pumps, and all soft lines.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E30 1991 325i
    Unfortunately, I had a medical emergency and I completely forgot that I started this thread so I apologize for the late response.

Would you recommend me replacing the fuel injectors too? I believe there may have been rust particles all throughout the system due to the rusted top of the fuel tank. I hope I don't, but I want to be thorough with this fuel tank replacement and fuel system overhaul.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    If you are concerned that there is residual rust in the system. I'd recommend sending your injectors out for cleaning. They'll let you know if there are any additional issues that might require replacement. Second, order 2 fuel filters. Do your initial assembly with the first new filter. At the fuel rail, pull the hoses off (mark where they go back) and use a fitting to join them to make a loop. Pull the fuel relay and use a jumper or switch to run the pumps. I'm not sure how long to run it. Maybe about 5 minutes? Change the filter out again and you should be good to go.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1985, 323i TC Baur
    A few items you might need include:
    Fuel filler hose, Exhaust hangers, bolts and gaskets, New driveshaft bolts and potentially guibo.

Optional items while your in there:
    Rear brake lines, shifter components, trailing arms and subframe bushings, shocks, differential and trany fluid change

My Cars
    E30 1991 325i
    Richardodn:
    Thanks for the helpful tips! I will do that with my mechanic hopefully in the next two weeks. I just ordered both fuel pumps and 2 fuel filters. I already have the fuel tank and now I need to buy the Fuel Pressure regulator along with all the soft lines.

TC BAUR MD:
    Thanks for the help, but it seems like you're just telling me general maintanence for these aged vehicles while I was specifically inquiring about the fuel system. None the less I have replaced most of what you mentioned. I do need to have my differential fluid changed though. That I haven't touched.

Fuel pressure regulator:
    I thought this was next to the electric pump under the drivers side, but I recently found out its in the engine bay. What is that same looking part that I confused it with then? Near the electric pump and fuel filter.

Is the sending unit part also in early models? I still don't quite understand how the in tank fuel pump works in conjunction with the other parts attached to it. Pelican parts doesn't show one for early models.
    Last edited by Schwarz325i; 05-28-2013 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The object near the high pressure pump (under the car in front of the left rear wheel) is a vibration dampener. It can be deleted with no adverse effects. The fuel pressure regulator attaches to the fuel rail in the engine bay.

On car with the 55L tank and dual pump configuration the fuel level sensor mounts in the pump housing on the right side of the car. That pump is a low pressure transfer pump that feeds the high pressure pump.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    92 318ic 90 325ic
    If your doing the fpr and injectors, might as well order a new fuel rail. It's cheap.

My Cars
    E30 1991 325i
    I haven't thought about the rail. Thanks.
    Where can I find one? I don't see any on rockauto, bavauto or pelican.

Thejlevie:
    From my understanding, the late model fuel tank has two holes on top being the dual pump configuration no?
    The early model fuel tank (55L) only has one hole for the in tank fuel pump, but where does the other one go? and is there a sending unit for the early models too?
    Last edited by Schwarz325i; 05-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    92 318ic 90 325ic
    The dealer, not expensive. Maybe 75 bucks