Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBeckman7's Official 535i Vehicle Log

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    The computers in these aren't that adaptable, they're 25 years old in technology remember, they will try to lessen the fuel amount, but have set parameters to work with, and when the car is in open loop (not relying on the O2 sensor for input) it will be running off a fuel map designed for injectors 25% less in capacity.

If the chip in the car has been changed to incorporate the larger injector size then it's fine.

Running a wideband O2 sensor is a great bit of equipment, and so cheap! and I don't know why every car enthusiast doesn't have one mounted constantly, real time feedback on how efficiently your engine is running, can show if there is any issues or tuning errors at certain times, ie full load, idling around, partial throttle maps etc

One of them along with some understanding of air/fuel ratios and stoichiometric values and their meanings really can be beneficial.
    I may have placed a lot of faith in the ECU in that regard, however I have not noticed any adverse effects. The car smogs just as cleanly as it did on the original injectors and - combined with my chip - demonstrates more power and smoothness across the rev range.

In other news, last week I cleaned the rear seats after removing them to replace a busted speaker. I plan on continuing with the fronts this afternoon. The parcel shelf also received some cleaning but no pictures of that one.

I need to replace that cracked seatbelt surround too...

Honestly didn't even think my seats were that dirty until I started cleaning them with a brush! Clean left vs. original right.

And the final result:

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    You removed the seat to change a speaker?
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    To remove the parcel shelf properly you need to remove the back seat.

I did this the other day when I fitted coilovers, it's four 10mm nuts holding it on, not like its hard work removing it. I just moved the seat back fwd though and left the belts attached.

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    You don't have to remove the parcel shelf to do the rear speakers just the grill. Unless mine is broken
    2016 640i Coupe'

IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    You don't have to remove the parcel shelf to do the rear speakers just the grill. Unless mine is broken
    Well normally the speaker grills are secured to the parcel shelf with plastic clips, and so to proper remove the speakers without risking damaging the covers you should remove the parcel shelf. It only takes about 10 minutes (4 bolts for the seat cover, 4 tiny ones for the parcel shelf itself). All in all, not a big process.

I made some good progress on the car today, although not quite as intended. My original plan was to instal the E32 bbl off the 750iL parts car I had a while back. Unfortunately, due to poor storage procedure the calipers were in no shape to be installed today: when I plunged the pistons into the calipers rusty, gunky water came out of the opening. I think the seals may be bad too.. they should be completely rebuilt before going on a car. For that reason I ordered standard sized pads and rotors (still brembo blanks, and going with my Porterfield R4S pads up front and some ATE's in back due to quick availability) to be installed early next week. I keep reminding myself the original brake setup has more than enough stopping power and I'm saving weight by keeping the 535i's smaller rotor dimensions

In other news, I managed to have a productive day even with the brake setback. I finally adjusted my parking brake so that both wheels hold the car now instead of just one, installed a new fuel filter, rotated and balanced my wheels, and installed the M5 rear swaybar that I had sitting in my garage! (the front one I was able to instal in my driveway.) After topping off with brake fluid, my car is feeling better than ever to drive and I'm enjoying it more every day I also did some extensive interior cleaning, brushing the seats and dash panels with leather cleaner/conditioner, etc, and it made a huge difference to the overall condition of the car!

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by sbeckman7 View Post
    Your comment on this picture on your instagram had me dying of laughter!!! haha it was something like "just cleaning the shit of off them and no not literally!" haha. dude hilarious

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinghorn View Post
    Your comment on this picture on your instagram had me dying of laughter!!! haha it was something like "just cleaning the shit of off them and no not literally!" haha. dude hilarious
    Ahaha

WELL, it's been quite a while since I last updated this thread! A lot has happened, some good, some bad I got Throwing Stars, and while I loved them on my dark blue 525i, they don't have the same "pop" on red paint that made them so appealing to me in the first place. That coupled with the fact that I really loved my 17" Mille Miglia (which happen to weigh exactly the same as the cast T-stars even with 10mm wider tires) leads me to the conclusion that I will probably end up selling them soon and put that money into refurbishing the Milles and getting some proper tires.

I love wheels with some dimension to them, and the subtle contours of the TStars are drowned out by the red paint. The Milles have enough lip and concavity to work really well with the rest of the car in my opinion, and I love the muscle stance they lend to the E34. Look, see?

Hmm next, I spent literal months trying to get the front two door seals replaced. Every set Pelican Parts sent me was old stock direct from BMW HQ and all of the seals have shrunken an insane amount. Of the 6 they sent so far, only one has completely sealed either door frame. Waiting on one more front seal, and now I decided to do the 2 rears as well before they are even harder to find in a few years time. Those are on the way but I suspect it will be a similar trial and error scenario unfortunately.

Most of the seals fit like this:

But it's not all bad! I finally got some of the last cosmetic items I've been looking for: An M5 rear filler plate and genuine clear Hella rear lenses.

Which brings me to.... my God that paint needs to get repaired! I have a list of things to address over the coming months (when I'm back from school for the holidays) including:
    - rear bumper/trunk paint
    - door locks (of which none are automated anymore)
    - cracked windshield needs to be replaced and new weatherstripping installed to stop the occasional leak
    - And most importantly, a FULL suspension rebuild! Car is nearing 200k miles now and definitely needs all new everything. Finally ordered a set of Vogtland springs, to pair with a damper that I will decide on soon hopefully. I can't wait to have a lowered car again (or by modern standards, a non-lifted car )

There are a few other things in the pipeline as well but these are the big ticket items with suspension and seals being the top priority. Can't wait to get home in December and see what new problems have crept up since I left!

Save
    Save

My Cars
    82 320i/4, 89 535i/5
    Pm me as soon as you decide to sell the t stars!!!!
    E34 535i/5 (Dirty D)
    RIP E21 320i/4 (Hammerhead)

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by 5senses View Post
    Pm me as soon as you decide to sell the t stars!!!!
    Will do

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    I am home! And what a magical feeling to lift my car cover and find a perfectly clean Red 535i waiting for me I did my usual wake-up routine of removing fuel pump fuse, cranking to build up oil pressure, and then starting first try. The first drive after living in Oxford with no personal vehicle for 4 months had me giggling like an idiot. I also came home to a small mountain of boxed car parts waiting for installation! After bringing the Vogtland springs home with me from England (saved 100 bucks that way!) I was greeted by my new windshield surround trim, rear door seals, and rear Koni dampers (front dampers and AKG strut spacers are still on the way). Yesterday I had a new Pilkington windshield installed, but sadly I realized I had two drives side trim pieces (even though the part numbers correlated to drivers and passenger side). Pelican Parts overnighted me a new passenger side trim piece which will hopefully arrive today. I also have BavAuto floor mats on the way and the strut bar to install. So far, so good then

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Last Monday I dropped off my car at a paint shop to fix the one major cosmetic issue: fading paint on the rear bumper and trunk. I got it back today and I didn't even recognize it

On Monday it goes to German Auto Sport in Berkeley for some major love (and fitting the koni/vogtland setup that finally arrived). Can't wait!

Save
    Save

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Wowzers. What did they do? Whatever it was, damn! Looking great.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Wowzers. What did they do? Whatever it was, damn! Looking great.
    Thanks Brent! They resprayed the rear bumper and trunk that were both in bad shape. They also detailed the exterior for me, although I noticed my RR door clearcoat is now bubbling and in one place actually peeling so that will be the next paint item, and hopefully the last for a while...

Dropped the car off at German Auto Sport today for quite the laundry list. This is the most I've ever put in to my car and the bill will probably be more than I paid for the car in the first place. Still, when I get it back I will have a 535i very close to my idea of perfection

Save
    Save

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    When I get my car back from paint it better look like this. Zinno looks the best. A dark shiny red. To me the best red BMW made. I'm still prayinging
    2016 640i Coupe'

IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by E38740iMD View Post
    When I get my car back from paint it better look like this. Zinno looks the best. A dark shiny red. To me the best red BMW made. I'm still prayinging

I know what you mean! I actually believe this paint is much closer to Hellrot; when the PO had it resprayed it definitely came out a shade or two brighter than Zinno. At least that's what I think based on the actual Zinno grill trim I got, which is noticeably darker to the point where I wouldn't put it on the car without respraying it to match.

With that said, I finally was able to pick up the car today from German Auto Sport! It honestly drives like a new car... I'm so happy. Here was the breakdown:

- Front Koni/Vogtland setup installed with AKG spacers for the struts
    - E31 Aluminum LCA's with spherical bearings and Thrust Arm Bushings
    - Idler Arm
    - Rear swaybar end links
    - Rear passenger door lock actuator
    - Clutch master cylinder (original was leaking)
    - Aux fan resistor
    - A/C recharged, dryer replaced, new belt
    - Manual trans service
    Last edited by sbeckman7; 07-29-2017 at 01:51 AM.

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Tinypic seems to not be working properly, it only uploads random pictures and others it says they've been "moved or deleted," but here are a few working ones

SaveSave

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Long time no post! Big Red is still running like a champ, although I had two little issues sneak up on my way back from Monterey Car Week last summer that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. Driver's side low beam glass lens fell off while I was exiting the highway (that was funny and made a great sound as it rolled away), and the blower motor started making horrendous sounds from all the dirt it ingested. I have a full headlight set from an E32 750il parts car I got a while back and the blower motor I'll have to tackle at some point but I don't use it much at the moment. Still scared after reading a few fire-related horror stories so I'll get on that sooner than later.

This is very far off into the future, but my long-term plans on this car are to create a "what-if" factory inspired 1989 E34 550i using only OEM parts. I want it to be the exact 550i BMW never built. I will keep my Zinnoberrot/Natur spec but see if I can find an extended leather dash and perhaps some sport seats as well. The car already has most other options as standard and now has M-sport swaybars and an LSD, so mechanical work will be "limited" to the installation of my freshly rebuilt M70B50 and hopefully the 6-speed transmission out of an 850i, although that thing's price may mean I have to use another BMW gearbox instead. Either way, V12 manual 5er

The exterior will stay pretty much the same as well: replacing the throwing stars with the 16" style 8 rims that were optional on the 1989 850i (the T-stars were not yet introduced in '89 and neither were the sport/updated side mirrors) and going with an M-sport body kit, with slightly raised suspension possibly via M-sport or M5 springs. Going to keep the gutted 750iL muffler as it has the signature V12 square tips, although I'll shorten the tips to account for the E34's shorter rear overhang compared with the E32. Happy to hear any options ideas to include (refrigerator and split rear seats are on my radar but $$$)!!

Thanks to photoshop, here is the end goal:

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Wow, if you make it to the end goal, it's going to be one hell of a good looking car.

I hope you put up some more YouTube videos about it. I just watched a few and they're really helpful. I also had the blower motor changed recently, it's not as difficult as you'd think. Just take off the coolant expansion tank, remove the firewall and the motor will be right in your face. Nobody else has done a video of changing one out in a 535 so you'd be the first if you made one.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Jealous of your paint, and quite the satisfying read to go along with all that pretty Zinno (I might be biased ).
    If you want the 550i BMW never made, then you of course need the rear window shades. Both rear doors, and electric rear window one, in my opinion. Always screamed luxury in my e38 pushing that button, the e34 deserves it too!
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    I'll try to make some more videos as things change! I've been meaning to do an update video, hope I can get around to that soon.

Great idea for the door shades!

Save
    Save

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Read your whole thread. I enjoyed the first post a lot. I've had my fair share of dealing with sellers line that, I am happy that it all worked out though. The car looks fantastic though. I'm pretty partial to the throwing stars but the Millie's look good also. I've always liked those wheels.

Keep up the awesome work, that's a fine looking E34 and will only get better with age. Definitely the right color too

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    I have watched a good amount of your videos and was happy to see this thread pop up. Your car looks great and i hope to see more from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    Read your whole thread. I enjoyed the first post a lot. I've had my fair share of dealing with sellers line that, I am happy that it all worked out though. The car looks fantastic though. I'm pretty partial to the throwing stars but the Millie's look good also. I've always liked those wheels.

Keep up the awesome work, that's a fine looking E34 and will only get better with age. Definitely the right color too
    Really appreciated!! Love your car too, and the color... goes without saying

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresco34 View Post
    I have watched a good amount of your videos and was happy to see this thread pop up. Your car looks great and i hope to see more from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Fresco!

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Well I am one step close to my E34 endgame! Yesterday I stopped by my buddy's shop (German Auto Sport if anyone is in the Bay Area) and he happily traded his wheels for mine. Happily, I was able to do the swap myself after he let me put my car up on a rack and use the shop tools. It had been a very long time since I did any sort of wrenching and I loved it, almost as much as I love the look on the Style 8 wheels! They are without a doubt my favorite OEM wheels for the the Zinno car and really pop with the bright silver finish. And the centers are so cool, crazy what a big difference they make to the overall look! The wheels came with 225/50R16 tires and I'm replacing the front two on Monday. The rears are fun because they slide pretty easily so they will stay for now

Next I need to raise the front ride height a bit to make the car more usable, remove the spherical bearings in the control arms and replace with bushings. Not sure if I will be replacing the Vogtland springs with others.. I need to take some time and find damper settings on the Koni's that are more friendly to the sometimes-pockmarked roads around here. Got a blower motor to install as well (thanks Andy) so that is on the short list.

I will definitely try and make an update video sometime soon!

Save
    Save

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast