Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBeckman7's Official 535i Vehicle Log

My Cars
    ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by sbeckman7 View Post
    West, normally. I live in the SF Bay Area, but study in Indianapolis.
    Gotcha. Car's looking great!
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Thanks man! Yours does too

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Time for an update!

I've abandoned the idea of posting everything in the original post, so here are some pictures of today's work: valve adjustment and plastidipped front trim. I had the oil sprayer bar sneak out of the hole, found it sitting happily inside the head. Torqued it down nicely in the hole and will order replacement bolts in the newer style soon. I'd like to clean my engine bay as well but that sounds like a time consuming task for another day.. Hoping to get some big things done tomorrow!

This is when I decided something was wrong

And then found it here

Surprised at how well this picture came out!

And finally after PlastiDip:

Not entirely sure I'm sold yet on the black vs. chrome debate.. but I will have to get new Kidney trim anyways as these are missing like half the plastic tabs... I figured why not try it.

"Big Red" 9/88 Build 535i/5: E.A.T. Chip, 24lb Bosch Design III, 3.46 LSD, 4x Clear corners, DINAN-style 750i muffler, Racing King Subframe Inserts, Koni/Vogtland suspension, E34 M5 swaybars, Brembo/Porterfield brakes, Turbodiesel grills, 16" Style 8 rims, Euro front plate, M5 rear filler plate.
    Save
    Save

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    nice
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    It's awesome to see young enthusiasts interested in these cars, and even better when they wrench on them. I'm a few years ahead of you (25 currently) in age, but I had an E36 M3 from age 17-22 that I gradually built up in my (parent's) garage into an OEM+ high mileage minter, similar to yours.

Keep up the progress, though you may find as you get older and priorities change, that the mod list begins to shrink over time. The less modifications a car needs to satisfy you, the better an inherent fit the car is for your personal taste.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Looking good man! Oil bar bolts are a normal issue on the M30, I definitely prefer the black over chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    It's awesome to see young enthusiasts interested in these cars, and even better when they wrench on them. I'm a few years ahead of you (25 currently) in age, but I had an E36 M3 from age 17-22 that I gradually built up in my (parent's) garage into an OEM+ high mileage minter, similar to yours.

Keep up the progress, though you may find as you get older and priorities change, that the mod list begins to shrink over time. The less modifications a car needs to satisfy you, the better an inherent fit the car is for your personal taste.
    Where in Colorado are you, would love to meet another M5 owner.

-Greg

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Looking good man! Oil bar bolts are a normal issue on the M30, I definitely prefer the black over chrome.
    Thanks Greg! Your work is definitely an inspiration.

Save
    Save

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Where in Colorado are you, would love to meet another M5 owner.

-Greg
    You have PM, Greg
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1992 525
    Seeing the red car and the first pic of you getting rid of the tint, I knew you were the Vehicle Virgins guy! lol
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    95 525t, 94 525, 87 325
    love your car man.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by S61Dan View Post
    Seeing the red car and the first pic of you getting rid of the tint, I knew you were the Vehicle Virgins guy! lol
    Ahaha yep that's me! The YouTube channel recently broke 1 million views

Quote Originally Posted by skunka View Post
    love your car man.
    Thanks man!

Car felt great today until I just drove it back from the mall, seemed to be stuttering a little under acceleration. Popped the hood and found the #5 spark plug flopping around

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1992 525
    Car felt great today until I just drove it back from the mall, seemed to be stuttering a little under acceleration. Popped the hood and found the #5 spark plug flopping around
    The spark plug was flopping around? I would be crying! Was it the coil pack you mean?

My Cars
    E34 M5
    M30 doesn't have coil packs.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by S61Dan View Post
    The spark plug was flopping around? I would be crying! Was it the coil pack you mean?
    Oops sorry, what I meant was the lead attaching to the plug. If the actual plug itself was flopping around I probably would have been crying too haha.

Save
    Save

My Cars
    1992 525
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheH6 View Post
    M30 doesn't have coil packs.
    Whoops! Thinking in terms of my engine (M50)

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Zinno love
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Update! Being home from summer now, I've come back to a sad and neglected E34 I put the cover on it before I left a few months ago and also added fuel stabilizer to the full tank of gas and removed the battery to set it on a trickle charger. So those items are all good, but I resumed tackling my no-idle issue. After looking at various causes (ICV, TPS, evil gnomes) I was surprised to find that some smallish tears in the rubber boot running from the AFM to the throttle body were enough to cause my car to not idle! A few new hoses later and the big six now ticks over happily... well almost happily. Running on 5 out of 6 cylinders. Some new spark plugs later, I quickly found that the #3 cylinder is not getting any fuel as the plug still looks brand new even after running the engine for several minutes (all the others have burnt fuel). I will be examining the fuel injector this afternoon and hopefully installing one of the spares I have laying around, should I manage to find it.

Save
    Save

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Throw a set of Bosch Design3 19lb injectors in it, cheaper than refreshing your current set, bolt right in, and have a 4 hole spray pattern compared to the stock one hole, and are also a lot quieter in operation.

My first 535i I thought it was my valves being noisy, it was in fact a very old dirty set of stock injectors rattling/clicking away

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    Throw a set of Bosch Design3 19lb injectors in it, cheaper than refreshing your current set, bolt right in, and have a 4 hole spray pattern compared to the stock one hole, and are also a lot quieter in operation.

My first 535i I thought it was my valves being noisy, it was in fact a very old dirty set of stock injectors rattling/clicking away
    That's actually what I've already got in it (see sig), and it turns out one of them went bad! #3 injector replaced and the car runs on all six cylinders again! The next job is the cooling flush/ tstat replacement. This job was going well until I got to the last screw on the thermostat housing cover... It's seized up. I soaked it in WD-40 tonight and have had the torch on it for a bit. Tomorrow I will continue to torch it and hopefully it will break free without snapping in the housing. Fingers crossed, I'm a bit uneasy about how stuck it is :/

Save
    Save

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    That's actually what I've already got in it (see sig), and it turns out one of them went bad! #3 injector replaced and the car runs on all six cylinders again! The next job is the cooling flush/ tstat replacement. This job was going well until I got to the last screw on the thermostat housing cover... It's seized up. I soaked it in WD-40 tonight and have had the torch on it for a bit. Tomorrow I will continue to torch it and hopefully it will break free without snapping in the housing. Fingers crossed, I'm a bit uneasy about how stuck it is :/
    You have the 24 pounder on yours. I wonder if it helps performance. But you would need more air to find out
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Any gain from running the wrong size injectors on a standard fuel map would be questionable and not recommended, if the chip has been tuned to suit, then fair enough, but on a stock car, going to the next size up injectors is pointless.

Good luck with the bolt, also give it a tap on the head of it with a hammer, this can help break up any corrosion it may have from dissimilar metal contact, I always give this a shot before resorting to heat and it works pretty well usually. Obviously don't use a 10lb hammer

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Finally got my tstat bolt unstuck with the help of a torch and some out-of-car wrenching. I removed the entire housing instead of just the t-stat cover and this proved to be a much easier way to work on everything. The old thermostat was visibly bent.. no idea how that could have happened. Of course now I've got to replace the hoses as they are all gross near the ends and leaking around the seams (then again maybe I just need to man up and tighten them down more). Still, the car doesn't overheat now and I can drive it like I want... All in all some good progress!

Save
    Save

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Remove all the hoses and clean any corrosion or gunk from the hoses and fittings, wire brush the aluminium clean, I had a similar problem on my M30 a while back, while its all apart, now is the time to do it.

My Cars
    1989 535i Manual
    Ordered a buttload of parts from Pelican tonight to continue putting an end to my coolant/fuel leaks. I have unfortunately stripped one of the bolts holding the fuel rail to the manifold (near cylinder 6) and now will be ordering a helicoil to fix it up. Other ordered parts include regular maintenance i.e. fuel filter, new hoses to replace cracked ones (and new hose clamps too), and some other rubber odds and ends that were broken.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    Remove all the hoses and clean any corrosion or gunk from the hoses and fittings, wire brush the aluminium clean, I had a similar problem on my M30 a while back, while its all apart, now is the time to do it.
    I will be doing this with the housing as well. Also regarding your previous post on the 24lb fuel injectors, I believe the ECU has compensated by shortening the injector pulse timing. I believe this because while my indicated MPG increased by 4-5 after I installed the injectors, real-world MPG gains were closer to 1-2. Therefore the computer thinks the car uses less fuel than it actually does, although the new injectors definitely still helped

Save
    Save

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    The computers in these aren't that adaptable, they're 25 years old in technology remember, they will try to lessen the fuel amount, but have set parameters to work with, and when the car is in open loop (not relying on the O2 sensor for input) it will be running off a fuel map designed for injectors 25% less in capacity.

If the chip in the car has been changed to incorporate the larger injector size then it's fine.

Running a wideband O2 sensor is a great bit of equipment, and so cheap! and I don't know why every car enthusiast doesn't have one mounted constantly, real time feedback on how efficiently your engine is running, can show if there is any issues or tuning errors at certain times, ie full load, idling around, partial throttle maps etc

One of them along with some understanding of air/fuel ratios and stoichiometric values and their meanings really can be beneficial.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast