Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complete: E46-LS1 guage solution using OBDII to Can signals

My Cars
    E46
    We're can I pm you ??

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    click on his name on the left and a new window will open where you find the private message link
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    What's the verdict on aftermarket gauges? I'd like my LSx to run stand-alone with them, including a separate push-start button. The only thing I really need from the BMW is switched 12V from the key (and to unlock the column), ABS, A/C control, and high-low beam indicator. Don't need cruise, door indicators, etc. I'll be running a T56 trans if that matters.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt330LS View Post
    What's the verdict on aftermarket gauges? I'd like my LSx to run stand-alone with them, including a separate push-start button. The only thing I really need from the BMW is switched 12V from the key (and to unlock the column), ABS, A/C control, and high-low beam indicator. Don't need cruise, door indicators, etc. I'll be running a T56 trans if that matters.
    What works and doesn't work when not interfacing with the BMW can bus is covered in painful detail in other threads. I'd try to summarize but I'd probably forget something important.

My Cars
    BMW E90
    I have downloaded the file but it isn't opening :/

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertButtigieg View Post
    I have downloaded the file but it isn't opening :/
    Did you follow the directions in post #3
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...1#post26240351
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Download and change the ending from .pdf to .zip.

My Cars
    95 M3, 07 Titan, 96 XJ
    I'm looking into picking up an e46 sedan to do a LS3 swap into, and came across this when i was looking into wiring and getting the gauges to function correctly. I have read this thread and there is bits a pieces about what works.. Could you possibly make a list of what functions / gauges would work or not?

E30 Turbo 2.8L - 60ft - 1.70 :: 1/8th - 6.99 :: MPH - 105.47 :: 1/4 - 10.66 :: MPH - 132.53
    Daily E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.790 :: 1/8th - 8.20 :: MPH - 84.68 :: 1/4 - 12.81 :: MPH - 107.05
    *RIP* E36 M3 - 60ft - 1.944 :: 1/8th - 8.64 :: MPH - 80.00 :: 1/4 - 13.55 :: MPH - 99.95
    Cool2seat's TTstg1 E36 M3 - 60ft - 2.123 :: 1/8th - 8.44 :: MPH - 87.71 :: 1/4 - 12.94 :: MPH - 107.95

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm620 View Post
    I'm looking into picking up an e46 sedan to do a LS3 swap into, and came across this when i was looking into wiring and getting the gauges to function correctly. I have read this thread and there is bits a pieces about what works.. Could you possibly make a list of what functions / gauges would work or not?
    Unfortunately it is not that simple. What gauges works is really dependent on what program and hardware and motor is being used and how it is all connnected. In custom cars there is no single answer :-) What I can say is that we have the can bus codes (and have posted on them in this forum) on how to drive all the E46 gauges. How the data is used will depend on what gauges work.

Thaniel

My Cars
    1999 528iT
    I'm pretty clueless here.

This is a pretty frustrating post for me and I've come back to it over and over and over...and over again. Every single time I search for a "how to make E46 cluster work with motor swap" thread, it's always this link.

No offense, I think it's awesome someone put the work in, but I have no idea how it's helpful tbh. Like...there's no "how to" or step-by-step. It's just a bunch of raw code being thrown out there.
    I have no background knowledge, so I don't even know where to being to start. There's no part #s or "connect this wire here" and then "connect your laptop to the 'shield' via USB run Program XX, and copy and paste this code"
    None of that. That's why it's so frustrating.

"I've got the answer! I've solved it! but I won't say how the average joe can replicate"

My Cars
    S/C LS2 e46, LS e367&8
    Quote Originally Posted by fast5speed View Post
    I'm pretty clueless here.
    I have no background knowledge, so I don't even know where to being to start. There's no part #s or "connect this wire here" and then "connect your laptop to the 'shield' via USB run Program XX, and copy and paste this code"
    None of that. That's why it's so frustrating.

"I've got the answer! I've solved it! but I won't say how the average joe can replicate"
    Yep... pay the man for the product. Receive instructions for connecting the man's product. Follow instructions for man's product. Receive Christmas tree free e46 cluster every time the key is on.

very much not a difficult thing. If you got the motor into the car without hunting down ANY of the wiring info for the swap �� You're a brave man.

I have purchased the product twice, two different versions, two different cars, years apart and still go to Thaniel's threads when planning the next bastard child.

My Cars
    92 325i 4/5 s52 swap.
    I swapping a gen v l83 to a e60 there’s something for make the dash work somebody sell a solution for that?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540it
    How much, if any, of the E46 engine wiring harness do I need to salvage from the engine? Obviously I need to keep the DME but can I sell the M52B30 engine complete with engine harness?

My Cars
    Bmw e46 coupe

E46 318 Coupe to LM7 swap

I need help to solve the dash lights and gauges,do you still make/sell the products for this?

My Cars
    1986 BMW e30 323i
    Hi guys, im new here, Ive been reading ur threads for years now nd its very helpfull. But I need advice now, I have a E46 318I N42 motor 2004, has a hard start,the first attemp its a first time start, mabe 2nd at 3rd time aswell,but then after that it struggles nd sounds like it want to start but doesnt, funny enough when I run start it it starts with the first kick. Car came from mechanic that changed, cam sensors, starter, vanos solenoids,im guessing he had a scan. I then bought the car as is, then found out that chain guide broke, then I replaced it, did the timing, then first start it idled then died, found that im getting no negative injector pulse, ecu showed no response, I replaced ecu,ews and eml key transponder then it started first time nd I could scan, bt still it starts then doesnt wane start again bt runs starts first time, scan only shows generator ( although im getting a 13.9v charge, cam sensor intake, bt sensor I tested nd aswel swopped from another car nd still the same, I got 12v on positive, I got negitive nd continuity I did on the pulse wire, all is right, even change cold start sensor, what am I missing?, iv noticed that even when car is cold and I switch it on the first time for the day the heat gauge is just about thefirst white line.

My Cars
    BMW E46
    Sweet! So if I put an RB in my E46 I could follow this thread and get the Gauge cluster to work. As well as A/C, fuel pump, etc.... I have stock ecu and a device that transmits data via BT. I used this setup with torque pro as a cluster once. Could I send data from that via BT to arduino then to the can bus network. Or could I just connect RX/TX from the ecu directly to the can shield? What's your take on this?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Sorry this thread isn’t a how to DIY. It’s an example of what can be done. And there is nothing in it about Bluetooth

My Cars
    E46
    Great job Thaniel! I am interested in this product that you have developed and would like to purchase one for my e46 with a 3rd gen ls1 swap.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 323ci

E46 bmw gen 3 ls swap

Hi, do you sell an “arduino module” for this particular swap? Like gm ecu to bmw dme?

My Cars
    2000 328ci
    Digging this up, literally my first post - sorry in advance. in the process of a 5.3 swap in my e46- this thread pops up everytime i search for a gauge solution - skimming through the thread i see people purchasing your unit - where can i find this? im interested in buying this from you. i also can't find where to send a private message. please message me when you read this. Thanks!

My Cars
    S/C LS2 e46, LS e367&8
    Quote Originally Posted by bjhatley View Post
    Digging this up, literally my first post - sorry in advance. in the process of a 5.3 swap in my e46- this thread pops up everytime i search for a gauge solution - skimming through the thread i see people purchasing your unit - where can i find this? im interested in buying this from you. i also can't find where to send a private message. please message me when you read this. Thanks!
    thaniel stopped selling these after a company copied it and started selling it as their own.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by bjhatley View Post
    When my son left for college we stopped making things and transferred it over to Pete who has taken it to another level. Email him at loud160plus@gmail.com or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...67248&sk=about

You may also find this thread interesting
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...an-bus-project

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123