Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for e39 daily driver-ers.

My Cars
    2001 525i

Question for e39 daily driver-ers.

How many of you wait for your car to idle down before taking off EVERY single time you get in. I just have this thought in the back of my mind that tells me I'm slowly killing my car if I don't wait. Curious how many other people do this.

My Cars
    99 540iT
    I'll usually let it idle down. About the time my zenons finishing the light check the car is at smooth idle.

My Cars
    destiny
    wait for the secondary air pump to turn off and im gawnnnnnnnnnn.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrolFlynn View Post
    I'll usually let it idle down. About the time my zenons finishing the light check the car is at smooth idle.
    I just watch my led angel eyes flash on the garage doors. Still takes about an extra minute for the idle to come down though. haha

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Can you specify what you mean by "idle down"? My car's idle is steady right after starting (500-600 rpm). Idle is the same whether warm or cold.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by vironT7 View Post
    I just watch my led angel eyes flash on the garage doors. Still takes about an extra minute for the idle to come down though. haha
    That seems like a slightly long interval for the idle to settle. Mine settles immediately.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 04-06-2013 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I'm usually in reverse and backing out of the space before the starter has quit spinning.

/.randy

My Cars
    1971 2002, '00 Über 528
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I'm usually in reverse and backing out of the space before the starter has quit spinning.
    sounds about right

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Can you specify what you mean by "idle down"? My car's idle is steady right after starting (500-600 rpm). Idle is the same whether warm or cold.

Edit:

That seems like a slightly long interval for the idle to settle. Mine settles immediately.
    So idle down to where your needle is on the pic. When my car is cold it sits at 8-900. It doesn't really take a whole minute and 10 seconds for real... but it does take a good 40 seconds to get down to 500. Is that bad?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    That's because you're "Randy".
    So idle down to where your needle is on the pic. When my car is cold it sits at 8-900. It doesn't really take a whole minute and 10 seconds for real... but it does take a good 40 seconds to get down to 500. Is that bad?
    I'm not sure. Maybe it's different for the I6s.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I'm at redline backing out of the garage. Can't have any carbon buildup on the valves and pistons from too much idle time.
    Just kidding.
    The car is in a heated garage so I'm not to concerned about waiting for the engine to warm up.

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Okay good I was gonna say... haha

Maybe it is a 6 thing. My brothers got the same car and his does it too.
    Either way, no big deal.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    How many of you wait for your car to idle down before taking off EVERY single time you get in. I just have this thought in the back of my mind that tells me I'm slowly killing my car if I don't wait. Curious how many other people do this.
    It takes about 1-2 seconds for the oil pump to get oil to all the important areas. Once that's accomplised you're good to go. I would NOT floor it right as it turns over, a friend's Camry chunked a rod through the block like this. If you start your engine then put on your seatbelt and put it in gear, the engine will be fine by then.

Cold engines are fun though, my Impala's V6 is well-known for cold piston slap (engineered this way and it doesnt hurt it) nothing like a cold pushrod screaming to 6k rpms early in the morning!

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Acutally now that you mention it, my car is more perky on the throttle when it's cold. I noticed this when I was running late one morning and I always wondered why.

My Cars
    96 e36 M3-Track Project
    I wait all the time, my wife doesn't. I feel sorry for her LR3 and her PT Cruiser.

*edit*

To let it idle down....then off.....

Note: wife turns on car, mashes on accelerator.
    Last edited by wheelgarage; 04-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Project e36 M3....

My Cars
    destiny
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    I'm not sure. Maybe it's different for the I6s.

My car idles around 8-900rpm also when the SAP is on.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    97 E39 540/6
    Never wait. By the time I fasten my belt and drop the e-brake oils where it needs to be.

"Life is a numbers game. Increase the numbers, win the game"

My Cars
    2001 540i E39
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniSpeC View Post
    wait for the secondary air pump to turn off and im gawnnnnnnnnnn.
    How do you know when it turns off? Is it when the idles go from like 900 rpm to normal idling range?
    e39 2001 540i 142,xxx miles - CAI, Redline MTL, Bilstein Sport w/H&R Sport, m60 manifold, 10w AA, Hankook ventus v12, and maintenance

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Thumbs up

You'll hear it turn off. My 1998 doesn't have a SAS/SAP.

My Cars
    98 528i
    You will hear your SAP when inside if you roll your window down, the difference with it on and off is that evident.
    "And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."-Senna

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    I usually take off less than 15 seconds after starting it up, but in winter I let it idle for a bit while I scrape off the ice/ snow. My 540i usually goes to 500 rpm on a normal day, on colder days it stays at around 8-900 for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyFTR View Post
    Left lane sitters make me PO'ed to begin with but I swear when someone leaves the Toyota dealer with a Prius the dealer tells them "sit in the left lane or you'll warranty will be voided.". Either that or there's a bunch of a-holes over at PriusForums.com laughing their v*g*n*s off "I sat in the left lane on Kelly Drive tonight at 7.8 mph under the speed limit boxing this a-hole in a BMW in.". Reply: "Great job Jo (female of course) that Conservative, Gun Carrying, 18 MPG getting, P*nis having prick had it coming to him. Doesn't he know how he's destroying the Earth for our (adopted) Great Grandchildren's great Grandchildren's great grandchildren? That ignorant Conservative bast*rd."

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Unless it's super cold, there is no need for idling after initial startup. I just get in and go. I believe it even states in the manual, that you shouldn't warm up the car by idling. IIRC, E39 slushbox holds gears longer to make the car warm up faster.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2001 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsterBek View Post
    Unless it's super cold, there is no need for idling after initial startup. I just get in and go. I believe it even states in the manual, that you shouldn't warm up the car by idling. IIRC, E39 slushbox holds gears longer to make the car warm up faster.
    I've never heard this, but sounds pretty convincing. I guess I shouldn't be so paranoid about it then.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    I turn my car on, select a song from my ipod and pull out... I don't wait for my car to idle... never have in any of my previous cars either... Only problem I have found about this is on manual cars that the trans if a bit bitchy during the first minute of driving where 1rst to 2nd is a lil bit rough.
    Last edited by LuisGT; 04-07-2013 at 03:43 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    I've read somewhere in the manual that bmw recommends that you don't wait for the car to idle down. I could have misunderstood something that I only took about a second to read due to looking for something else, but that's my understanding haha. So I just wait about 20 seconds, about the amount of time it takes me to buckle up, adjust the floor mat maybe, and shift into reverse.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Nah I have an I6 and mine idles fine, right about where the needle is in James' pic (maybe just ever so slightly higher, but I dont really recall exactly where). I just crank her up, buckle up, put it in reverse and then it's out of the garage and off to wherever I'm going
    Last edited by Anthracite528i; 04-07-2013 at 05:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast