Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: EWS sync without installing EDIABAS/INPA/DIS using a $10 vagcom cable

My Cars
    97' 528i, e39, 5-speed
    I've just bought a 2000 BMW E39, 528i; was able to drive it home and start working on it. Mostly front suspension parts; front bumper and driver side front fender. One day, after working on it for a few weeks; I try to start the car but there was nothing so I check on my Peake coder reader and it gives me a code 80 which translate to EWS Signal problem.
    Would this program show me which components had fail or out of align?
    Also, I got this ELM327 interface; would it work with this program?
    Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Van556 View Post
    I've just bought a 2000 BMW E39, 528i; was able to drive it home and start working on it. Mostly front suspension parts; front bumper and driver side front fender. One day, after working on it for a few weeks; I try to start the car but there was nothing so I check on my Peake coder reader and it gives me a code 80 which translate to EWS Signal problem.
    Would this program show me which components had fail or out of align?
    Also, I got this ELM327 interface; would it work with this program?
    Thanks in advance.
    I apologize for not read the entire thread before asking; I was in a rush. I check on ebay for BMW VAG COM but come up with "zero item found" but they list the VAG COM cable for other cars. Would any VAG COM cable work with this program.
    Thanks again.
    1997 528i, e39
    Xenon & 540 front brakes upgraded

My Cars
    96 BMW 318i
    I probably read this and don't recall but this will work with a 96 318i if I get the vagcom cable and BMW 20-pin adapter, right?

This cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KKL-VAG-COM-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Mike
    Last edited by mltriebe; 05-22-2014 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    96 BMW 318i
    Duplicate post, sorry.

Mike
    Last edited by mltriebe; 05-24-2014 at 02:03 AM.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    what a great post

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 323ti
    Quote Originally Posted by monacoo View Post
    Not true. I had car with EWS3 module. Then I swapped engine and DME for M52 from car with EWS2. Then just opened DIS (running on vmware) and clicked to "align dme ews" and everything worked. So it could be done even if ews2 is something completely different than ews3.

Now I am going to swap engine and dme from some other also from ews2 car and I will try to sync it first with this application. I will post results!
    Forgot to answer. I have car with EWS3 module. Inserted M52 engine and DME from car with EWS2. Successfully synced DME-EWS with this software. Great work man!!

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Hi All,
    I have an '04 M3 with MSS54HP ECU. I've just had the ECU flashed with different software and 'virginized'. Can I use this tool to sync the DME with my EWS?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by excursion View Post
    Hi All,
    I have an '04 M3 with MSS54HP ECU. I've just had the ECU flashed with different software and 'virginized'. Can I use this tool to sync the DME with my EWS?
    Probably not, it is intended for MS41.x.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Ok thanks.

My Cars
    2006 e60 530d
    will this work on a 1995 e38

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Hey! have a 99 E39 with the ME7.2 DME (V8 car) and EWS 3 woes. Will this work? Car starts and runs fine but the mileage is out of sync. Ike, DME and all modules shows 207XXX km (which is the actual mileage on the car) but EWS shows 999999km. I think I may have had something to do with that : I did a lot of wrong when I was setting up my vagcom cable interface trying to run BMW Std. tools on W7 x64
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jona29 View Post
    will this work on a 1995 e38
    Porbably not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Hey! have a 99 E39 with the ME7.2 DME (V8 car) and EWS 3 woes. Will this work? Car starts and runs fine but the mileage is out of sync. Ike, DME and all modules shows 207XXX km (which is the actual mileage on the car) but EWS shows 999999km. I think I may have had something to do with that : I did a lot of wrong when I was setting up my vagcom cable interface trying to run BMW Std. tools on W7 x64
    Not, it will only read the ISN from the DME and write the EWS on supported cars.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Thanks gpeterson

program worked great, win7 32 bit

two questions:

1. when you say turn ign off to wait the 15 seconds is it ok to remove the keys from the ignition?

2. whats the best diagnostic program for the cable setup (vagcom + 20 pin adapter) used in this thread? INPA? DIS? Something else?

again, thank you.
    Last edited by vanishm3; 07-23-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by vanishm3 View Post
    when you say turn ign off to wait the 15 seconds is it ok to remove the keys from the ignition?
    Yes, makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vanishm3 View Post
    whats the best diagnostic program for the cable setup (vagcom + 20 pin adapter) used in this thread? INPA? DIS? Something else?
    I'd say INPA - it is less of a hassle to get running and probably does most of what DIS can do on the e36. Note that the vagcom cable won't let you access the cluster & ABS - you need an ADS interface for that.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E39 528i
    Hi Gpeterson
    i read so much of your treads its awesome.
    1. im having a DME 4.10 and my car wont spark on 2 plugs
    2. so i resoldered and replace the 2 compatible transistors still wont spark on 2 plugs (car still starts)
    3. so i resoldered and replace all the 6 transistors and the whole car could not spark or fire up totally

the starter works for all 1-3, i can smell fuel i guess

A. i suspect that the DME and EWS is not sync (ordering the Vagccom and 20pin OBD II thingy) and only arrive in Mid / End Aug 14
    B. If i burnt the DME4.10 and i get a replacement will a DME 4.11 work?
    C. is your latest app still at tread #6?

Im having a 1997 E39 528i Single Vanos , problem started 14mths ago.

In Limbo...... I miss my bimmer very much.

Thank you very much in Advance.

Dennis

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Yes, makes no difference.

I'd say INPA - it is less of a hassle to get running and probably does most of what DIS can do on the e36. Note that the vagcom cable won't let you access the cluster & ABS - you need an ADS interface for that.
    How do i get the INPA Software?
    the supplier says the Vagcom cable comes with a CD - not sure what is inside the CD
    TQVM
    Last edited by Dennis Hon; 07-29-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: amend

My Cars
    BMW E36 M52B28 '1997
    hi gpeterson
    i have tiny ads interface in this link
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-ADS-interface
    it's can be work with your software or not ?
    thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JrCJrZ View Post
    hi gpeterson
    i have tiny ads interface in this link
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-ADS-interface
    it's can be work with your software or not ?
    thanks
    It will probably work with that interface, please give it a try.

My Cars
    BMW E36 M52B28 '1997
    update
    program not working with ads interface in this link http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-ADS-interface after click read my laptop freeze.
    [my laptop use windows xp sp2 come with native serial port + ads]
    Last edited by JrCJrZ; 11-24-2014 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    E36 touring 328i
    Hello
    I have a question. My key unsynced when my batery drained with key in second postion in ignition. I can not sync it back to EWS even with inpa. So I want to buy a second ews with keys and just switch the chip into my keys so my original key is kept. Will I be able to sync my new EWS with DME by this program? My car is an E36 328i Touring from 96 with OBD2 From europe. Hope this thread is still alive as I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks a lot.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wark View Post
    Hello I have a question. My key unsynced when my batery drained with key in second postion in ignition. I can not sync it back to EWS even with inpa. So I want to buy a second ews with keys and just switch the chip into my keys so my original key is kept. Will I be able to sync my new EWS with DME by this program? My car is an E36 328i Touring from 96 with OBD2 From europe. Hope this thread is still alive as I need an answer ASAP. Thanks a lot.
    Wow how much more $ and time is your solution.. 200$ for a new key at the dealer and move on or have it diagnosed by a shop
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    E36 touring 328i
    100€ tow
    100€ diagnosis
    200€ ews + key

Compared to used ews with keys for 50€ that I have hands on.

Car was diagnosed at our shop and the key is unsynced. I have the round conector ande the cable to pc so thats for free. I just want to know if that porgram will work with my method too.

Thanks a lot

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wark View Post
    Hello
    I have a question. My key unsynced when my batery drained with key in second postion in ignition. I can not sync it back to EWS even with inpa. So I want to buy a second ews with keys and just switch the chip into my keys so my original key is kept. Will I be able to sync my new EWS with DME by this program? My car is an E36 328i Touring from 96 with OBD2 From europe. Hope this thread is still alive as I need an answer ASAP.

Thanks a lot.
    It will sync the DME and EWS just like INPA does. If INPA isn't working this probably won't help you either, sounds like something else is going on.

My Cars
    1998 BMW compact 2.8
    Hi all, Ive just put a M52+MS41.0 EWS2 from a 1996 328 into a 1998 E36 compact with EWS3 and I used INPA to read the ISN which was CDE. When I used your EWSsync it found 1F7 and it wrote it to the EWS3 ok and it runs sweet! Thanks very much. I used this cable and the INPA from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagno...item259dcbea9c I hope this will help someone with a similar conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried these little EWS immo emulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-EWS2-EWS3-2-Emulator-E34-E36-E38-E39-E46-EWS-2-3-2-/121298395915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3df2 a30b http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-EWS-Immo-Emulator-/151582947726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234b0c 398e I brought a couple of them but getting them programmed with the right ISN is proving a big problem.. I can see how they can work and there's a service mode where they can learn the ISN but it needs to see it on the data bus for it to learn it.. Ive tried every way to get the ISN in to it but Ive not been successful... Has anyone been been lucky??!! I might just Megasquirt it and be done with the whole issue!!

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    gpeterson ... I used that little program a year or so ago with no issues. That said, I do NOT remember if I used two cars or one.

Here is what I have going on. The MS41.1 in mt 97 328 is acting up. I have purchased a known good MS41.1 and wish to install it. I have only one CAR, however. So far, I have not succeeded. So, what is the proper sequence to transfer the code? With my original DME I can retrieve the code. After that, nothing I have tried has been successful. So, can this be done with ONE car and TWO DME's? If so, how.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Fit the new ECU and do the sync, the sync takes the ISN from the ECU, and writes it into the EWS, you don't need the original ECU to do this.

To swap back you need to repeat the process, it'll only work with one ECU at a time, and you can re-sync it as often as you like.

For the EWS emulators, you need to first read the ISN from the ECU you are going to be working on, and write that down somewhere. The next bit gets a bit more tricky, there are two styles of emulator, it usually separates into one set has the wires already on it, the other needs wires added.
    The ones with wires are often not in the programming mode, but the instructions have just been copied.

I do them by getting making sure it is in the programming mode, often just holding a grounded probe to the other solder point instead of getting a blob of solder across them (on the ones that aren't set up anyway)

Get a 12v power supply to feed the INPA/kkl cable, 12v on pin 16, ground on either 4 or 5, the two longer ones on the top row.
    Also connect the 12v and ground to the emulator, and a signal wires between the last wire on the emulator and pin 7 on the INPA lead.
    You should now be able to select the right com port, click read and it should come up with 0527 or something.
    I believe the error messages are no echo from K line if you have the wrong port, and wrong or no response if it isn't connected or in the programming mode.
    You need to type the ISN number you read earlier and store it, it won't auto detect and save anything.
    Undo/disconnect the service mode jumper and it should now be constantly repeating whatever ISN it has stored whenever it has power.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    Fit the new ECU and do the sync, the sync takes the ISN from the ECU, and writes it into the EWS, you don't need the original ECU to do this.

To swap back you need to repeat the process, it'll only work with one ECU at a time, and you can re-sync it as often as you like.
    As Homer Simpson would so aptly say ------------

D'OH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just feeling stupid beyond words. COMPLETE brain fade. SOmetimes some things are too simple. Suddenly I feel like the classic dream where one is naked in a crowd and can't do anything about it.

Anyway, now that I have shown my failed bout with dum ass, I will go out to my shop and complete an amazing simple task. Hope I am up to it. Sheesh, embarrassed.

Seriously, thanks for the assist.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast