Thread: DME - CAS reset start values (sync)

My Cars
    2005 E87 118i

DME - CAS reset start values (sync)

Hey All.

Firstly, let me say what a great and informative helpful bunch of people there are on here. I've searched my problem, with mixed results.

Secondly: My Problem.

I bought an E87, 2005 1 Series BMW from a guy who thought the car had fuel pump and LPFP issues.
    Knowing that issue i continued with the purchase, as a I thought it may be a sensor or only require a fuel pump change.

After two weeks of owning the car, i would get intermittent issues with complete loss of communication with engine.
    I bought a generic OBDII scanner which confirmed what I was thinking (at the time).

unbeknownst to me, the car was listed (in Australia) as a repairable write off (cost of repair outweighed cost of vehicle) so one of the previous 2 owners decided to sell it instead of repair it.

Now; I own this vehicle and have determined that the DME is dead, and upon removing can see clear corrosion on external case (and upon internal inspection, the same type of corrosions).

So, I bought a second hand DME, used inpa and NCS expert to update the dme and VIN (which was successful) however still have a no start situation.

ISTA+ confirms that DME and CAS are not synced, and upon trying to sync both cannot, due to DME / CAS ISN's not matching.

What I am asking is if any of you fine chaps on here has managed to sync CAS / DME using only an inpa compatible K-Dcan cable?

If so, would you be able to point me in the direction of obtaining the software reuired.

Thanks in advance. is what it is!!!!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The second hand DME (Bosch ME9?) needs to be virginized, and then ISTA or INPA will allow a sync.

This can be done by BDM tools and opening up the DME.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamu View Post
    ISTA+ confirms that DME and CAS are not synced, and upon trying to sync both cannot, due to DME / CAS ISN's not matching. What I am asking is if any of you fine chaps on here has managed to sync CAS / DME using only an inpa compatible K-Dcan cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    The second hand DME (Bosch ME9?) needs to be virginized, and then ISTA or INPA will allow a sync. This can be done by BDM tools and opening up the DME.
    It's difficult to do a in-depth analysis without having the car in front of me, but I'll try and assist you as best I can. *328 Power* is correct about the possibility of resetting the DME engine ECU back to a "virgin status", but there's a few other things we can try before resorting to that.

ISN is quite a complicated subject matter and I appreciate that it's a minefield for the less experienced guys (no offence intended or anything!). The ISN (Individual Security Number) and the associated SK (Secret Key) from the DME, doesn't match what the CAS is looking for. There's a flow of cryptographic data that goes from your key to the CAS and then to the DME (and then to the TCU/EGS, if the car is an automatic). It's a "Client/Server" relationship, with the CAS being the SK server and the DME (and TCU/EGS) being the SK clients. Having said that, it is the DME (and the TCU/EGS) that has the ISN permanently locked during production and the CAS that is "flexible" in terms of changing the ISN. Long story short, what we're trying to do is scrap the original ISN in the car and change it to the ISN from the donor DME. It is possible to rectify this at home, but it's unlikely to be a quick "click one button" process.

It's probably a good idea to start by reading the DTCs from the DME and the CAS, and also read the ISN from the the DME and the CAS. Try ISTA and INPA first and post all of the results (because they can give you different, confusing results). From that point onwards, we'll probably be using INPA and Tool Set 32, because ISTA is rather limited for situations such as this, due to it being designed for dealer technicians (and not engineers, like INPA and Tool Set 32). That will give us a much better understanding of the problem. I'm assuming that you've triggered the "EWS Anti-Tamper" system, in the immobiliser element of one or both modules.

(Note: I do have some special INPA script files for CAS-DME related issues, and if necessary I can modify your INPA installation to include them in the near future, if necessary.)

I hope that makes some sort of sense?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hello FAL, I'd be interested in any CAS-DME scripts. I have a bunch of other INPA and Tool32 files, just curious of some others.

Either way if this is ME9 for N46, this is short ISN (non SK 128bit) with rolling codes. It's easy to virginize the second hand ME9 and allow a cas-dme sync in that car. I've done plenty. Other DMEs, especially ISN SK (128bit long ISN) do not have the capability to sync them.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Hello FAL, I'd be interested in any CAS-DME scripts. I have a bunch of other INPA and Tool32 files, just curious of some others. Either way if this is ME9 for N46, this is short ISN (non SK 128bit) with rolling codes. It's easy to virginize the second hand ME9 and allow a cas-dme sync in that car. I've done plenty. Other DMEs, especially ISN SK (128bit long ISN) do not have the capability to sync them.
    No problem mate, drop me a message. Ah, I see what you mean now. The OP didn't specify the model and year of his E87, but now that i've looked at his details in the top right-hand corner it's a N45B16A with ME9.2, so I see what you're saying now. It'll be interesting to see exactly what DTCs he has.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 735i
    Any update?

My Cars
    2010 535Xi
    Hello FAL

I am having a DME -CAS sync issue myself!

2010 BMW 535Xi e60 N54
    MSD81
    CAS3+

INPA 5.0.6 version 5 - fails when I try to select (a) or (b)
    a) <Shift>+<F6> 'EWS start value adjustment'
    b) <Shift>+<F6> 'CAS start value adjustment'

Tool32 - I dont know how
    *I saw someone with an INPA with a title of *BMW Group Rectification Programs UK.0--??is this special version?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    MSD81 doesn't have a sync and no rolling codes. It is the new fixed ISN SK style. No use looking for a sync because it doesn't exist on that DME.

Why do you think you have a sync issue?
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 10-16-2022 at 05:01 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2006 E91
    Hi, I also have a problem with an 2006 e91. Dme box filled with water, killing the dme. I have bought a second hand dme, having the same issue with syncing. Am I able to virginise my ecu? It's a 320d. Dme bosch part no. 0281012754.

Thank you.