Thread: Temp gauge problems

My Cars
    95 M3, Toyota 4x4 & 02 R1

Temp gauge problems

So here is the story, I went to go install my new VDO water temp gauge today, but encountered a problem. I am attempting to use the method of tapping the stock temp sender. I looked in my Bentley manual for the wiring diagram, and it said that it consisted of 2 wires a) brown/yellow and b) brown/violet. I did not know which one I wanted so I connected a wire to each and ran them inside. Well when I when to test which wire I need by attaching it to the sender spot on the gauge, I got 2 different results, both unwanted. The first wire made the factory gauge go dead, and the second wire made the after market gauge peg at full right. I am not sure what is up, the only thing that struck me as odd was that the plug off the temp sender in the head had 4 wires, but the book only listed two. Let me know if you guys know what is up. Thanks

My Cars
    1997 M3/4 :: 1982 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M
    So here is the story, I went to go install my new VDO water temp gauge today, but encountered a problem. I am attempting to use the method of tapping the stock temp sender. I looked in my Bentley manual for the wiring diagram, and it said that it consisted of 2 wires a) brown/yellow and b) brown/violet. I did not know which one I wanted so I connected a wire to each and ran them inside. Well when I when to test which wire I need by attaching it to the sender spot on the gauge, I got 2 different results, both unwanted. The first wire made the factory gauge go dead, and the second wire made the after market gauge peg at full right. I am not sure what is up, the only thing that struck me as odd was that the plug off the temp sender in the head had 4 wires, but the book only listed two. Let me know if you guys know what is up. Thanks
    Normal bmw's brown is ground. Use a multimeter to find out which one is grounded... You need to figure out which is ground I would say. And tap only one of the wires that gets the reading. That would be my logcal guess. And then ground the aftermarket sensor elseware..
    Trevor - Click pic for mod list