Thread: Oil Canister Not Draining?

My Cars
    E32 1990 BMW 735i 3/90

Oil Canister Not Draining?

On the last couple oil changes, I noticed that the oil canister is not draining like it used to when I open it to remove the filter. After draining the oil out of the oil pan plug, I open the filter housing cap and oil runs out the top. I pull the filter out but the remaining oil does not seem to drain out through the bottom of the canister. I suck the old oil out of the canister with a gravy baster. I seem to think in the past the oil would drain out through the bottom of the canister after I removed the cap and the old filter. I have read about the spring valve issue in the bottom of the canister, but I thought that was an issue of the valve not closing? Is this issue related or is this normal that the oil is not draining when I change the filter?
    E32 90 735i (3/90)

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    oil should drain, check the check valve, see my website under fixes>>>oil systems , there are pics how it looks
    maybe the tabs which hold the spring are broken
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E32 1990 BMW 735i 3/90
    I removed the oil canister and inspected the valves. They seem to look ok and function properly. There are two valves in the bottom of the canister, an upper valve and lower valve. I assume the lower valve allows oil to enter the canister and is the valve that sometimes needs repair? There is also an opening at the bottom of the canister just to the right of the center pipe (photo 1). What is the for?
    What valve / opening or how is the oil supposed to drain out of this canister when you change the oil?
    Also, there are two torx screws on the right side of the canister (photo 2), what do they do?

Oil Canister 2.jpg photo 1 Oil Canister.jpg photo 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dawedler2; 04-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

My Cars
    E39 535i V8
    Hi,
    Did ​you fix your problem since ?

Thanks to update please

My Cars
    1989 BMW 750Il
    I have a 1989 750il V-12, I did the last 5 oil changes my self....and noticed my last oil filter did not come with upper and lower rubber O-rings?...I looked down the oil canister housing and noticed 2 filter O-rings on the bottom of the oil filter stem and two more floating free by the oil drain to the engine.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    a bit late, but there is one o-ring under the cover and item 5 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0552
    then there was also a change:
    Support tower in oil filter housing (SI 00 15 97)
    VK-23/Löschan Baugruppe/Group: SI 00 00 15 97 (229) 06/1997
    Support tower in oil-filter housing
    E31, E32, E34, E38 / M60/1, M60/2, M70, M73
    Situation:
    Environmentally friendly oil filter elements have been installed in the above engines at the factory since September 1995. For this reason, it was necessary to modify the oil filter element fixture in the form of a support tower. This support tower is fixed in the oil-filter housing and cannot be removed. So that the new oil filter element can also be used on vehicles manufactured before this date, a retrofit support tower has been designed to adapt the oil-filter housing to take the environmentally friendly filter element.
    This support tower is retrofitted once only and then remains in the oil-filter housing. It must not be changed at subsequent engine oil services. However, the high turnover of this support tower leads to the assumption that it is frequently being incorrectly exchanged, along with the filter element during an oil change.
    Affected vehicles:
    E31 with M60, M70, M73
    E32 with M60, M70
    E34 with M60
    E38 with M60
    Manufacturing period: Start of series production to September 1995
    Procedure: On vehicles which were manufactured before September 1995 and which have still not been converted to take the environmentally friendly oil filter element, the support tower should be retrofitted once only during the next engine oil service.

Fig. 1:
    Fullflow oil-filter housing until September 1995
    1: Filter element
    2: Support tower

The support tower, Fig. 1, Pos. 2, remains in the oil-filter housing for all subsequent filter changes.On vehicles which were manufactured after September 1995, and on vehicles which have already been converted, it is only necessary to change the oil filter element, Fig. 2, Pos. 1, during an engine oil service.

Fig. 2: Oil filter element, Note: Attempting to remove the support tower from vehicles manufactured after September 1995 can damage the support tower beyond repair.
    Parts: Oil filter element Part No. 11421745390. Support tower (single retrofit operation only necessary)
    Part No. 11421745392, Important note on warranty: No warranty or goodwill can be granted for fullflow oil-filter housings which have been damaged due to attempts to remove the guide tower.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/515113/