Thread: Disconnected plug under hood

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.0

Question Disconnected plug under hood

Hello Guys,

I'm a recent proud owner of an European 1999 BMW Z3 2.0.

This weekend I gave a look under the hood and realized that there was a yellow disconnected plug fallen left of the front fan - this at the least intrigued me .

After performing a few searches on the the web I found the Bimmer Forums and, to my surprise , I encountered a great and big community of altruistic people with a big passion for the Z3.

I hope I can join this big community and perhaps make some new friends around here , despite I found myself in western europe!

On to the question that brought me here, does anyone knows where this yellow plug should be connected to or what is its purposes? I'm posting two pictures to help, one with a closer look at the plug and another with the plug just like I found it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Stylle; 04-03-2013 at 05:14 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.0
    Forgot to say but I see no warning light in the Dashboard which makes it even more strange...

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, E39 M5
    Did your car once have fog lights? Looks similar to the plug my E36 328i has.
    Sold: 1998 Cosmos Black 328i Sedan
    Current: 2001 Laguna Seca Blue M Coupe, 2003 LeMans Blue M5
    Daily: 2018 Shadow Black Raptor
    Wife: 2013 Alpine White X5 35i
    Contact Me: MDICTED@gmail.com
    Instagram: MDICTED

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.0
    My car does have fog lights. Hum, maybe I should have a look if they are working since I have not had the need to use them.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylle View Post
    My car does have fog lights. Hum, maybe I should have a look if they are working since I have not had the need to use them.
    Oops, I assumed that was an Estoril Z3M, you have a 2.0 with the Z3 bumper that has fogs. Let me know if your fogs are functioning.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3, 2009 550i
    That plug is for the optional headlight washer system. I found out about it the hard way when I mistook it for the connector for the siren ( they look exactly the same BTW ) Don't pull the cap off it. It tells the windshield wiper module that there is nothing there. if you remove it, the module wont work correctly.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Synisalo View Post
    That plug is for the optional headlight washer system. I found out about it the hard way when I mistook it for the connector for the siren ( they look exactly the same BTW ) Don't pull the cap off it. It tells the windshield wiper module that there is nothing there. if you remove it, the module wont work correctly.
    That's it, I knew I had seen it down near my foglight at sometime.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.0
    Guys, thanks for the tips and quick replies I do appreciate it.

My Z3 doesn't have the headlight washer system, in fact I haven't seen any in Z3s around my area so that started to intrigue me.

After a lot of doubts and with a few extra time before going to work I went to the local official representative of BMW and they told me that the yellow plug belong to the exterior temperature sensor and should be connected to the front bumper.
    The employee also said to me that it have disconnected when I accidentally scratched the lower part of the front bumper ... unfortunately to fix it again they will have to remove the front bumper. It'll have to wait a few more weeks before I can send the front bumper for the painting and repair job...

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Welcome to the forum. I'm from northern Europe myself. Some of us linger around here since our national z3 arenas are so small that they do not generate enough much traffic.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylle View Post
    ... a yellow disconnected plug fallen left of the front fan... does anyone knows where this yellow plug should be connected to or what is its purposes?
    It is the ambient temperature sensor. It mounts behind a black plastic plate next to the driver fog light, with its tip behind a little hole in the plate.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e30-e34-...d756dc&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    It is the ambient temperature sensor. It mounts behind a black plastic plate next to the driver fog light, with its tip behind a little hole in the plate.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e30-e34-...d756dc&vxp=mtr
    +1 the guy above is right, all you others are wrong. LOL
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black