Thread: At what mileage did your fuel pump fail? Need HELP/Input

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3

Unhappy At what mileage did your fuel pump fail? Need HELP/Input

This is regarding my problem described at the end of thread "Need Help Car won't start" . Anyways, I was trying to figure out if it might be my fuel pump. I kind of have a feeling it is but am wondering if its about that time that it would fail. I have a 1992 325i, with about 93K miles on it. Just trying to see at what mileage for those who have replaced their fuel pump that it went out??? Also is there such a thing as a performance fuel pump, being that if I have to replace it that I would replace it with a better one???

My Cars
    -
    I just replaced mine about a week ago, I got one off of ebay for pretty cheap. For the last couple years I have heard an annoying whinning-electric like sound by the exhaust area so I just replaced the pump, the car has 85,000 so might as well have some good preventive matinence. The pump is pretty easy to change and I noticed a slightly smoother,stronger pull durring acceleration. Next, I need to tackle the pre 94 fuel filter. I could not find any info on performance pumps as I have only seen the pump sold as one unit with the fuel level senders, but from what I have read the stock pump flows enough fuel for even the forced introduction applications.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Thanks for the input, I guess I will end up buying a new one anyway even if it isn't the cause of my problem. Hopefully it will do it.

My Cars
    1995 325i, 2007 335i
    Mine crapped out at 210k miles.. i was on my way tot he movies too :
    1995 325i Automatic-283+k Miles-Dinan Engine and Tranny software-PRM Intake w/ECIS Heatshield-HKS Klasse Exhaust-Motorsport X-Brace-Sparco Strut Tower Bar-M3 Rear Sway Bar-UUC Tranny Mounts and Enforcers-InPro Ellipsoids w/Umnitza DDE Angel Eyes-M3 Oem Front-M3 Side Skirts-M3 Trunk Lip-M3 Rear Bumper-ACSchnitzer Roof Spoiler-18'' Hamann HM2

Quotes: "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"

"No Fat girls please, my car will scrape"

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Wow looks like you got some use out of that one....210K ...sounds good!

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    mine was a little while ago at about 110k.

its not that hard to replace....but the work to get to the pump is extremely tedious and frustrating!
    ...'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser.
    And the best that you can hope for, is to die in your sleep'

My Cars
    78 Chevy Citation
    I am not a BMW expert, but for a stock application , as in any car, I would imagine you would be wasting your money on a "performance" fuel pump... You can pump more fuel if you want, but if you don't put bigger injectors, etc... all that extra fuel being pumped won't have where to go, just will get restricted once it gets to the factory injectors...

Plus I guess you would need to change the fuel pressure regulator... Just put a stock fuel pump on... and make sure you have a clean fuel filter...

My Cars
    '01 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
    Mine crapped out at 210k miles.. i was on my way tot he movies too
    haha. Thats exactly what happend to me. We are on our way to the movies and she wont start. I had straight hooptie status that night. : Luckily i got her fixed up and running the very next day. (Definitely glad i got stuck in my driveway as opposed to the movie theater parking lot.)

My pump went at 160K. Took about a half hour to replace and was a terribly easy DIY. I think i paid $160 from a local dealer. Hope you get your car back to running tip-top bro. Laters

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Yeah I am actually shopping around for the fuel pump and fuel filter right now. Hopefully that will fix my ride. Yeah I went hooptie status nasty, parked right in front of pool hall, everyone was jocking, checking out the ride.....then at 2am everyone went from jocking to joking...lol.....crank but no start. Then after having my car towed it started right up the next morning????????? : ??????

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    This was my post in another similar thread yesterday....See if anyone can help...

Help!!! , anyone?? ....Had to tow my car home tonight/ or this morning at 4:am. Earlier before it gave up I was driving and the car bogged/ kind of died but once I gave it more gas it kept going....About 1 block later the car just died completely....Check engine light came on.....pulled over started right up......drove home......went for a quick drive 10 min, later everything fine......went out earlier this night to shoot some pool....came out and my car wouldn't start....it would crank and sound bogged.....it wouldn't kick over...tried waiting.....giving it gas....etc...tried for about 20 min....nothing...now it just cranks continuosly but doesn't turn....It sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel......I pumped the pedal even to try to flood it but it wouldn't do anything......HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP????? Is it my fuel pump???? Any help is appreciated......

Then like I said in this thread...it started just fine the next morning.

It was suggested to me it could be my crank shaft sensor.....Anyone agree?????

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Also I've been seeing the fuel pump assembly selling around $150...but then on some sites they sell the actual fuel pump for $200. My question is for those whose pumps have failed....Did you replace the pump or the whole assembly????

My Cars
    '01 325ci
    That is the same thing that happened to me. When we got back i tried to turn it on and it started just fine then died. I decided that i wasnt tryin to get stuck out somewhere so i went the next day and got a fuel pump.
    When you order it buy the whole assembly not just the fuel pump by itself. Difference in price has to do with brands. Bimmerzone has the pump assembly for you car for $133. If you are in a hurry to get it changed it might be worth the extra cash to just pick it up from the dealer. Its something i am certain they would have in stock. I bet a new pump will remedy your problem. Check you out.

My Cars
    2015 Tacoma, '86 951
    got about 158k before mine crapped on itself.
    Retired Track E36
    Jet Black 2012 328i

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Hey The451Kid, Just want to say thanks for the tip, bimmerzone.com - $133. Out of the dozens of sites I always check, never visited bimmerzone.com. It ended up having the lowest price. Thanks. Ordered the pump and filter. Hopefully it will fix my problem.

My Cars
    325is 93
    mine went at 95k miles, and it seems more than several people saw their fuel pumps go around 100k or so.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Yeah I guess it was time, I'll be adding my fuel pump crapped out at 94K.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Mine bit the dust at 220k. Stranded my ass at work (an hour from home)...
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Just replaced it today, found what was the problem(at least what I believe ). After replacing the pump I noticed that one of the connectors' pin was fried. On one of the male adaptor sides the whole pin had melted into the tank. Thus it actually melted the male pin into gas tank and left the bare wire (and a small hole). Only conclusion is that maybe I let the tank run low one to many times and that the added stress,heat and/or current made it melt/short.????? Hopefully thats all for the problem, will eventually post picture to compare with others and see if its similar to what they saw....

My Cars
    2006 e90 330
    So far 116K and still going.....

510 RWHP/ 485 RWTQ R.I.P.

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    wow so you almost blew up ? One of those freak accidents.

Replaced mine around 215k sounded like a supercharger in my trunk.
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)