Thread: 98 M3 VF SC with major hesitation issue and misfire codes...HELP please

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan

98 M3 VF SC with major hesitation issue and misfire codes...HELP please

I need a little help. Just installed aVF SC on my 98 M3, started up just fine. No codes , but had a bit ofa rough idle (and the Vortech sounds like it has marbles in it at600rpm...seems like this is not out of the ordinary). Took it outfor a couple short drives and then decided to take a long trip in it. 330 or so miles into my trip I decided to open it up over 4000rpm. First full throttle run was in 3rd gear and I only went upto 5000rpm or so, no problems. A few minutes later I slowed down anddropped into second and ran it up to 6000rpm, right at 5500rpm I gota major hesitation and it felt like the power band just fell on itsface. I pulled over and listened to the idle and tried to reproducenot under load, nothing audibly significant. Closed hood and wenthard through 1st gear and had same hesitation at 5500 andthen car went into limp mode. Check engine light went on and carsputtered and surged. I was on a mountain so I turned around andcoasted with engine off for about 15 minutes, started it up and carfired up perfectly, no problems with a smooth idle.

Got home and check codes, it hadcylinder misfire codes for 1, 4 and 6
    Trying to find a good place to start! I will obviously call VF early in week and seek trouble shootingideas, but was wondering if anyone here had a good place to start.

Compression test?
    Take apart fuel rail?
    Vacuum leak?

Thanks! I'm a bit bummed, but I haveto say I was shocked that car fired up first try and I took it on a300+ mile drive with no problems. Pulled nice and hard at 3K in 5thgear...just hoping to open her up at higher rpm.

John

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Isn't the break in period 500 Miles? I couldn't remember, Its been 6 months since I installed mine. My car on two occasions, both in 30 degree ish temps, has surged violently and lost power completely.
    I shut the car off and turned it back on and everything was okay. I would imagine both of our problems are ECU issues. Mine just happens to little that it doesn't bother me. As for the marbles did you check fluid level? I noticed mine was loud in the beginning but the noise has disappeared and now it sounds nice and smooth.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    cover the easy stuff first
    did you check the gap on your plugs? try .022"
    blowing out the spark will show those symptoms

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Break in was stated as 300 miles on the install sheet. I did check fluid because the marble sound terrified me. Does yours hesitate at a certain rpm or just when wide open on cold days? No codes tripped on yours?

Hope to resolve this issue quickly, I bought SC before I got to fully enjoy the car in stock format, in hindsight I would have waited a year. Really wanting a fun car to cruise in this spring.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Haifisch M3 View Post
    cover the easy stuff first
    did you check the gap on your plugs? try .022"
    blowing out the spark will show those symptoms
    This
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    325i
    Check for boost leak.

Make sure all hose clamps are snug. I got the same issue when I first installed my kit. Normal driving was perfect. It's when I'm in boost is where the issue comes up. It is exactly as you've described.

CHECK FOR LEAKS UNDER BOOST.
    Fast lookin' but slow movin'
    237 rwhp N/A power

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Hm id also like to check my spark plug gapping

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Had a half hour or so today, did the spark plugs. Planning to take it out tomorrow, might need to wait for Thursday.
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions! Really exited to get the car dialed in. I did suspension and supercharger at the same time and haven't had enough fun with either yet.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Just got done with test drive. All I have to say is THANK YOU!! It is working well, car screams along pretty nicely. Haven't really had a chance to get the hang of the power yet, but it pulls really smoothly through 2nd gear. No problem with traction even WOT 1st gear, I suppose that is good and bad--
    Glad to have the car running well.
    Thanks again for the spark plug suggestion.

My Cars
    1998 M3 AA St 2
    Glad you got things figured out I am a little surprised you get traction wot in first. Stage 1 or 2?

Sent from the vortex of my Rotrex

360+rwhp

My Cars
    Anything BMW, Audi, or M
    glad everything is sorted out John
    Service..Tuning..Performance..
    APEX I BILSTEIN I STOPTECH I BREMBO I AST I HAWK I
    and much more...
    Best Prices Guaranteed on all parts - OEM & Aftermarket

(408)356-1515