Thread: 1988 730 power windows, sunroof, wipers, central locking not working

My Cars
    E32/88/730i

1988 730 power windows, sunroof, wipers, central locking not working

Hello everyone. I'm finally clueless and asking for help because for the first time I can not find the solution for my problem in this forum(or google).

Last year I inherited an old but tough 730 '88 manual from my father (which he used very! rarely in past 4 years because he finished his e32 750 project), and I drove around 3000 very enjoyable kilometers before putting it in the hibernation for the winter. Today I was happy to start the car and thus began the spring for me. The battery was empty and I tried jump starting the car while following the procedure in the manual. Battery turned to out to be dead, and I borrowed another one from a friend. After running the car for 20 minutes on the driveway with all the windows half-way down, I shut the engine off.

Then I noticed that the windows wouldn't go back up.
    Wipers only work on full speed.
    Central locking is not working (neither remote or manual) (also, turn lights still blink when I click the remote)
    Sunroof isn't opening also.

Car starts just fine. Radio is ok. Lights etc seem to be ok too, it's getting cold and dark outside and I haven't tested all systems. One weird thing that happened when I tried to jumpstart it, was that the key wouldn't turn, I had to lock and relock the doors a couple of times and then it was ok.

All the fuses are ok, fuse 9 (or 8, oh my memory) was burned out and I replaced it. I tried disconnecting the battery. Pulled off the backseat and checked the two fusible links, they are fine. Removed GM and RM and even took a peek inside of them, they seemed ok. Those 3 relays by the RM and GM, I tried switching them around to no avail.

Now, I don't have much experience with cars or electronics but up until this point I've solved my e32 problems (there's been quite a few of them) with the might of the internet. But now I'm stumped.

The spring rains are only days away and I don't have a garage... not to mention little mischevious kids who might take opportynity of a car with it's windows open. Does anyone have any ideas ?

My Cars
    735iL - 1989
    shogun often recommends this GM reset procedure http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...info-on-new-GM

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    and check the fusible links
    Failure syndromes:
    • Intermittent simultaneous falure of wipers, sunroof, windows, central locking, radio...
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...sible_link.htm
    your E32 has 2 of them
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/377728/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E32/88/730i
    Thank you, Shogun, the living e32 encyclopedia, for taking interest in my thread. As I mentioned in the first post, I've tried the GM reseting procedure and I've checked the fusible links. I just tested both fusible links with digital multimeter and the current is flowing through. Could there be anything else beyond GM or RM causing this fault ? Also, would the GM/RM from '91 750 work? Although it could take a week or more before I can get my hands on them.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    lets see what the electronics experts have to say.
    Anyway, GM/RM of a 1991 750 will work on your car.
    all relays in engine room and under rear seats are here
    http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-relaisbelegung.htm

My Cars
    E32/88/730i
    Thank you, it is a very informative link. I went and pushed all the RM contacts down by hand while holding down a window button and it didn't do nothing. I Cleaned all fuse sockets and the contacts of the cable which has the 50a fusible link. Guess I'll have to try and understand the circuit schematics and hope to figure out the problem. I'm afraid that I can't make it without a trip to the car electrician. If anyone has any ideas left, then they are very welcome.

My Cars
    1988 bmw 735i
    hi there just repaired the gm module on a 735iby replacing three capacitors fixed windows sunroof door locks and intermittent wipers and flashers radio shack had the capacitors instead of 25 v they were 35 v wirked great

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    very interesting info!
    Do you have the exact spec for the capacitors?
    Any pics of the GM where you replaced the caps?

My Cars
    E32/88/730i
    I got most problems fixed by replacing GM and RM. Locking, wipers, sunroof are all okay. But there is another fault now: only the drivers window is working. Passenger and rear windows are not working. I hear the relay clicking but nothing happens.

Also, one strange thing I noticed, today I put in the old RM&GM and they were working as good as the new ones?! Most strange.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Try a reset

Here the complete official info:

This Service Information Bulletin supersedes S.I. 61 01 92 (3460) dated January 1992. It incorporates additional information on the new General Module software for E32/E34 vehicles. Please remove and discard S.I. 61 01 92 (3460) dated January 1992 from your S.I. Binder.

SUBJECT: New General Modules (GM)

MODELS: 7 Series (E32), 5 Series (E34)
    - Vehicles produced 9/91 and later
    Situation: New general modules have been used in production since September 1991 in all E32 and E34 models. The software has been completely revised (details of these revisions are found in the attachment to this Service Information Bulletin). Part numbers have been changed to reflect these revisions, as listed below, as of September 1991. Model Part Number
    E32 61 35 8 356 095,
    E34-up to 61 35 8 356 095 9/91 production
    E34-9/91 and later production 61 35 8 355 812
    Note:
    E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later have different central locking system components from earlier E34 vehicles; therefore, P/N 61 35 8 355 812 is used only in E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later, P/N 61 35 8 356 095 can be used in E34 vehicles produced prior to 9/91, and in all E32 vehicles. When the general module is connected to the vehicles electrical system, it will recognize (and store in memory) the vehicle configuration, such as:
    - with/without power windows
    - With/without power sunroof
    - with/without wiper contact pressure control
    - with/without headlight washers
    Important Information
    All general modules must be plugged in only after disconnecting the vehicle's battery. If the vehicle's battery is connected when the GM is installed, undefined signal contacts can cause an incorrect vehicle configuration to be stored, resulting in the impairment of one or more of the above-mentioned systems. If one or more of the GM functions are impaired in this matter, the GM can be "cleared" by disconnecting the vehicle's battery for at least ten seconds.
    GM Function Changes E32/E34 (Beginning with 9/91 Production)
    - Repeat and Time interlock for headlight washers:
    · Time interlock: 3 minutes
    · Headlight washing at fifth windshield washing after time interlock.
    - Intensive washing pump operating time reduced from 3 to 2 seconds
    - Minimum interval for intermittent wiping is programmable down to 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds)
    - Increased wiper contact pressure during windshield washing cycle is now also provided during dry wiping portion of the cycle (previously only during washer pump operation).
    - Previously, the GM would react to opposing signals (eg., an unlock signal while trying to lock, as with a defective microswitch) by carrying out the first command, then the opposing command (e.g., locking, followed immediately by unlocking).
    Repeating the first command then results in carrying out that command (e.g., try to lock again, and locking is now carried out).
    This function ("Asynchronous Position") is omitted in the new GM for all E32 models and E34 models prior to 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 356 095), and remains in the new GM for E34 models after 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 355 812) only for central locking commands "lock" and "double-lock".
    - After unlocking is performed due to crash sensor activation, the locking command is now reactivated by double-locking with the key from either the driver's or passenger's door.
    - The "one-touch" operation of windows has been expanded to include all four windows in the opening direction. The driver's window still has "one-touch" operation in both opening and closing directions. Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the driver's window in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing any window switch (in any direction), or by depressing the sunroof switch in the "tilt" direction (provided the sunroof is not already in the "tilt" position). Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the sunroof in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing the sunroof switch (in any direction).
    - The switch-off delay of the interior lights which occurs after entering the vehicle and closing the driver's door has been reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.

My Cars
    1991 735i BMW
    Guys I tried all this reset and my windows still will not go up or down,nor sunroof and the wipers which was all working I checked every fuse in the car all good

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    did you also check the fusible links under rear seat? The one in pic 3 in the black box close to the battery, that is the one which goes to the fuse box under rear seat, the other one in pics 1 and 2 goes to the engine bay and supplies power to B+ and e-box http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/377728/
    1991 ETM http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/e32_91.pdf

what else did you do besides reset and fuse checking?