Thread: Short Circuits on my 82 320i...

My Cars
    1982 e21 320i

Short Circuits on my 82 320i...

So, last week in the adventures with my new-to-me 82 320i (M10 and 5 speed base model) I had lost my turn signals, that episode ended with the e21 getting its turn signals back and having the hazard switch taped into place so that they would work. Now, fast forward to today and here is the latest and greatest episode...

Saturday night I hit a pothole and my battery light started flickering on and then it went out. Ok...I mentally noted that. Yesterday morning it was on again during my commute to work and again last night when I came home. Ran a short trip to the store and when I used my turn signal my RPMs started to indicate 0 and then 1200 and then bouncing back and forth with those indications until I continued to drive through the lot to park, as I drove it again indicated the correct actual engine rpms. Came out of the store and tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. Being on a hill I compression started it and managed to drive it a short distance and then I parked it in a residential neighborhood where it is sitting in front of some guy's house until I can fix it or tow it back to my house.

So....all that being said, would a short that could drain a battery off like that be coming from my totally known to be malfunctioning hazard switch. I am of the mindset that could be the source of a problem here and I'd love to know all of your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Sharp

Kirkland, WA

My Cars
    1983 320i
    Never assume only one thing is wrong. It sounds to me like you have ground issues and alternator issues, which has could be the same. Read the ETM listed in the FAQ as it has listings of all the ground locations. When I had similar issues cleaning G11 and the alternator ground worked. I needed an alternator voltage regulator as well.

My Cars
    '78 320is 83 320i R.I.P.
    I've had the same thing happen with the gauges and all it took was to replace my ground to the block with a new braided flat cable and clean both the attachment points for that ground and the one to the battery tray. I would also recheck the ground from the alternator. Mine goes from the alternator case to the bolt as part of the alternator mount.

Oh SNAP!!! German Engineering is IN DA HAUS YAH!!!

My Cars
    1982 e21 320i
    Good stuff, I thought there was some major issue of the ground variety, and I already know the Hazard Switch is toast so I'll just plan on going through my ground circuits AND replacing my hazard switch asap. So, any good suppliers for the correct OEM Hazard Switch? I'll be posting pics of the 82 320i soon....thanks for the advice!

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Hit a pot hole then the problem started I bet that pot hole knock something loose...most likely a ground wire or wires.
    Murray

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    until you get a new hazard switch put a jumper wire between terminal 15 and 49, that will power up the signal lights.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!