RM European Auto Parts

Thread: e36 Frankenstein engine no start

My Cars
    '96 328i vert

e36 Frankenstein engine no start

Here's the quick and to the point run down:

'92 NV m50 bottom end, '96 vanos obd2 head, '93 obd1 vanos wiring in a '96 vert, 413 red label dme.

Put knock sensors on the block (brand new), new cam and crank sensors, wired the 2 temp sensor plugs on the '93 harness to the single 4-wire temp sensor for the obd2 head. Disabled ews in the car.

Engine block was set to TDC, cam locks set, cam lobes on #1 point up towards each other, vanos unit installed. Stock injectors from the NV engine (haven't installed my TRM kit yet), maf is not hooked up, large diameter ccv hose is not hooked up to the intake boot, vacuum line on CCV is not connected. These ccv items have not been connected yet because I haven't made intake piping yet

Car cranks, I get fuel, and I get back, but the car does not fire. Plugs are soaking wet, getting fireballs out of the manifold. Firewall is soaking wet with fuel from the fireballs.

I have verified the correct wires are going to the correct coils.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyclUuhCt4

the sound you are hearing in the beginning is the scavenge pump for the oil return on the turbo.

Please help. I am completely lost at this point.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Did you plug the intake ports for the stuff you haven't connected? If not, there are major intake leaks which can keep the engine from starting.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL