Thread: Random E39 Electrical problems , Ignition switch or Bad ground ?

My Cars
    525i e39

Random E39 Electrical problems , Ignition switch or Bad ground ?

Hello everyone I have a 2001 525i and it has always been giving me weird electrical problems.For the past six months my radio has not been working , it is stuck playing one station and the radio lights and switches do not work. I cannot adjust my steering wheel nor my seats. On the instrument cluster my signal indicators do not glow or make a clicking noise when i signal. Once in a while the radio and signal indicators start working but the temperature gauge on my cluster freezes , this situation lasts for about 30 seconds. Oh yes and my AC has stopped working ! Today i bought a replacement key for my car at the dealership and when the technician guy tried to set it up by putting it in the ignition it did not work .I have done some looking around on the forums and it looks like it may be a faulty ignition switch or a bad ground , any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you ... By the way i have checked all my fuses
    Last edited by moosedroppings; 03-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Try the visor test next time the car acts up: turn on the passenger visor light. If things change, it's likely the switch is bad.

If you'd like, examine the various ground shoes for a good connection. Here's the list:

Ground shoe locations

There are several so-called "ground cable shoes" scattered around the chassis. These "shoes" terminate a few, and many, ground wires. The Germans prefer the color brown for ground.

Here's where they are:

1. Two under driver seat carpet, near door threshold. X151, X173. Opposite these, X1108.

2. Left front inner fender panel. X165

3. Engine compartment, front right. X166, X1106

4. Engine compartment, right rear on outside of e-box (under the cabin air filter housing). X6454

5. Right side footwell, under carpet X490,492, X218 splice, X10012, X961

6. Right side of trunk, in battery compartment X498, X13075

7. Left side of trunk behind trim panel X13016

8. Under rear window shelf, right side X494, X18129 Splice terminal 30

There are no unique locations for the wagon in the Bentley's manual.

Might be a good idea to inspect these shoes for tightness and cleanliness. Begin with the shoes close to the problem area.
    Last edited by edjack; 03-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    And my money's still on the ignition switch...
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    525i e39
    Thanx for the hell guys i finally changed the ignition switch and it ddnt work. Still.working on it

- - - Updated - - -

Help sorry for the typo lol

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Nice post, Ed. I added the ground location list to the question in the FAQ.

What's causing my car to have wierd/strange electrical problems (gremlins)?

My Cars
    97 540i6/850R Turbo
    Bump TTT

Have you, or anyone....... Go thru all these grounds and fix a problem? Cause I got a ground problem ..In the rain it goes away.
    Also when I have a constant buzz behing my radio,it goes away almost all the way. My problem is the car bogs out and misfires@3500 with the buzzing I get to 4500 with the rain i go REDLINE and hold on!!! I cant even pull the radio cause I stripped the tiny hex B hind the knob.
    1997 540i/6
    Glacier Green

My Cars
    2001 bmw 525i
    Hey have u ever found out why this problem has happened I have a 2001 525i as well with the same problems please let me no if u have found a fix for this!!!