Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The E39 LS wiring thread

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
    I am trying to figure out the IKE Check Engine light and the DSC light. Does anyone have any insight on this? Grounding the pins from earlier year IKE's did not do it.
    I was able to shut down the DSC light by turning of one of the can messaging fields in the cluster programming (don't remember what it was called) by trial and error. That's on a Kombi cluster, not sure on the IKE....

S.F.

My Cars
    E39 Wagon,'88 ZX10
    Guys, I am finally at the dreaded wiring phase. In fact, I've been stagnant here for a month now. I could use some help.

My main question is: I have more wires in my X6011 than the Bentley claims I do. Here's a pic:

They are the following colors and do the following with the key on or off. It looks like I can pull power from some of these but I'm not sure if they are fused, or what they are supposed to be driving (ie. should they be connected to something important rather than hijaked for LS stuff?)

I could really use some guidace. I have a decent pinout chart but I'm struggling to understand what needs to go to various relays, what can be wired straight BMW to LS, and what do I need to run new wires to the dash for. The first hurdle seems to be this X6011 which doesn't match the manual....

Last edited by no7fish; 06-20-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

My Cars
    328i
    I used the ign for ign1, black went to the starter, the abs was powered via the dme relay.. I used 3 relays to convert 12v to a negative switch, dme,fuel,and reverse lights.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Use the link below for wiring diagrams. I find it easier to use than the manual.
    http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/en/

Here is how I am wiring mine. It should work for you as well.
    http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...7/IMG_0542.jpg

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    E39 Wagon,'88 ZX10
    Thanks very much, guys.

Unfortunately the bmw-planet diagrams won't work with any browser I have. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, any leads on what pins 2, 5, 8, and 12 might be in my x6011? Has anyone else had these extra wires?
    Last edited by no7fish; 06-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

My Cars
    E39 Wagon,'88 ZX10
    Here's what I have so far for documentation. This is far from complete but hopefully helps some others get started. I still have some big gaps, notably the X6011 extras and the getting the relays/fuses ironed out but that should make sense once I get stuck into connecting things.
    I could certainly use some guidance if anyone sees obvious errors.
    I am happy to share this spreadsheet with anyone who wants it. I might host it somewhere so the latest version will be accessible but for now just ping me if anyone wants it.

GMW-wiring1.JPG
    GMW-wiring2.JPG
    GMW-wiring3.JPG

My Cars
    00 E38 Msport,11 AMG G55
    Found this workaround to get bmw-planet diagrams to work:

BMW Online Wiring Diagram System (WDS)
    Version 12.0

(Version from september 2007)
    The last standalone (DVD) version released by BMW
    Please select your language
    Page updated on the 3rd of May 2016
    System requirements
    - Web browser + SVG viewer
    Adobe SVG Viewer

and

- Java Client
    Download link
    Update your JAVA security settings!

WDS is getting old and with regular Java/Browser updates it is hard to access old sites

All you need to do is change your Java security settings. I use the latest version of Firefox and it works just fine. Make sure your Java is up to date too.

Java has blocked WDS...No problem!

1. Click ok, then from the start/search button in Windows type in "Configure Java"
    2. Once Configure Java interface is opened, click on the security tab, then click the Edit Site List button. Enter bmw-planet.net and www.bmw-planet.net
    3. Go back to the site, you are now prompted to access the content. Click Run
    4. The diagrams are accessible again.

My Cars
    E39 Wagon,'88 ZX10
    For anyone else out there struggling with extra X6011 wires, here is the diagram which matches my car:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-x6011/jadViAq

My Cars
    E39 Wagon,'88 ZX10
    A couple notes on my wiring sheet above:

- The GM ECU puts out (+)12v for the fuel pump, but the BMW fuel pump relay is looking for a (-) ground to trigger the relay.
    I intend to rewire the relay to fix this, basically cutting the positive supply from the relay and attaching it to ground. (I think adding a relay is not a very clean solution).

- The oil pressure wires are not compatible. The GM sensor is a variable output for the dash gauge, while the BMW is looking for a binary switch.
    I'm debating on how to solve this one. I would like to read the pressure value but I don't know how to execute that cleanly, and I would like to have the idiot-light functional as a warning.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I'm working on my e39 LS swap (2002 540i) as well. The car is up and running, although no gauges.

I'm trying to get the speedo to work. Based on this thread if I get power to pin 7 (large red and white wire) of X6011 my speed should work. I put power to this, and have power to fuse 31...still no speedo, brake and ABS light on the dash are on.

Also, to reflash the cluster, I plug in my BMW scanner to the original BMW OBDII port and when I open PAsoft, it says "Hardware is not ready". Now I don't have a DME installed. Do I need to have it installed to flash the cluster. Since I didn't use this cable/software before the swap, I don't know if its an issue with the laptop, software,cable or the car itself.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
    I'm working on my e39 LS swap (2002 540i) as well. The car is up and running, although no gauges.

I'm trying to get the speedo to work. Based on this thread if I get power to pin 7 (large red and white wire) of X6011 my speed should work. I put power to this, and have power to fuse 31...still no speedo, brake and ABS light on the dash are on.

Also, to reflash the cluster, I plug in my BMW scanner to the original BMW OBDII port and when I open PAsoft, it says "Hardware is not ready". Now I don't have a DME installed. Do I need to have it installed to flash the cluster. Since I didn't use this cable/software before the swap, I don't know if its an issue with the laptop, software,cable or the car itself.
    A little update: I got my cluster reprogrammed using a different computer running Window7, I couldn't get the computer running windows10 to work. Still no speedo though, even though I have power to ABS module.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    A little update: I got my cluster reprogrammed using a different computer running Window7, I couldn't get the computer running windows10 to work. Still no speedo though, even though I have power to ABS module.
    You might have a bad wheel speed sensor or an abs module issue. Both are common on E39’s.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I agree that I may have those, but prior to the swap it was working fine.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I agree that I may have those, but prior to the swap it was working fine.
    Gotcha. That’s an interesting issue. Wish I could be of more help.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I could be a coincidence, or messing with the wiring I messed something up. I did swap in a 8.8 rearend as well, so maybe I missed a connector, but I'm pretty sure the only connector is right there behind the shocks. I'll figure it out. For now, I have a GPS speedo enabled on my stereo headunit running the Torque app....pretty cool stuff.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I could be a coincidence, or messing with the wiring I messed something up. I did swap in a 8.8 rearend as well, so maybe I missed a connector, but I'm pretty sure the only connector is right there behind the shocks. I'll figure it out. For now, I have a GPS speedo enabled on my stereo headunit running the Torque app....pretty cool stuff.
    That might be it. Either way, the GPS speedo on the radio is pretty cool!

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I unplugged my battery to see if I could get my stereo to work (I goofed it up somehow with PA soft). I hooked it back up, and then tested my rear wheel speed sensor at the plug into the ABS unit. It tested bad. So I go in and order a new wheel speed sensor.

What do you know, today on the way to work the stupid speedo is working! I don't know if unhooking the battery did it, unplugging the ABS module, or just dumb luck. Actually, it's probably just because I ordered the new part.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I unplugged my battery to see if I could get my stereo to work (I goofed it up somehow with PA soft). I hooked it back up, and then tested my rear wheel speed sensor at the plug into the ABS unit. It tested bad. So I go in and order a new wheel speed sensor.

What do you know, today on the way to work the stupid speedo is working! I don't know if unhooking the battery did it, unplugging the ABS module, or just dumb luck. Actually, it's probably just because I ordered the new part.
    Figures! Glad to hear it’s working.

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
    This thread was pretty cluttered and confusing for me so I will post my findings as I figure things out in this single post. This is all specifically from a 2000 M5 with EWS 3 and IKE M5 Cluster (3 connectors) I am not running a GM ECU. I have a PRO EFI stand alone and a custom harness from Dr. Tweakd so to apply anything in this post you have to know your own wire colors for gauge outputs etc. The EWS info is all factory bmw harness colors.

Pin 19 on blue connector is coolant temp it required de-pinning even with IKE which at first didnt make sense since it recieves signal from the network. it must feed the sensor power then the CANBUS feeds the IKE gauge from dme I guess. My factory LS sensor with no resistor sits in the middle at 185 and starts creeping at 190. Does not get into the red until 210 and 220 is pinned...that is how a gauge would be and I think I am going to leave it like that. No more dummy gauge. Tach is pin 3 on blue IKE connector also and was empty. The settings that a thread suggested to re program the cluster to 4 cyl is only correct for the GM ECU aftermarket stuff does count like an 8 cylinder. I am going to look to the e46 guys to see if someone got the oil temp gauge working somehow. I will add what pins I figured out for warning lights to this post when I get there...

Figuring out my EWS was tough because there is a ton of info on EWS 1 & 2 but not III. Basically on PA soft my EWS said everything was good and the EWS was ready to start but that black wire on the white connector (6011 I think) was still not getting key on power. That EWS does not have two wires you can just cut and twist together so you can bypass plus I wanted the EWS to function. The starter relay is behind the glovebox on this car. This is from another thread and explains what I did...

My EWS was "all enabled" because it sends a signal to the DME via a purple black wire and gets nothing from the DME so it has no idea that the DME is not even there. So the red wire into the EWS gets key on 12V, then EWS verifies the right key is in and all systems are go and it gives power to the black wire which feeds the power for the
    starter relay(This does not trigger relay on). The starter relay ground trigger wire is yellow/brown and goes from DME to the relay. This is what you need to ground. So It works like this: a 12v start signal from the ignition barrel (black yellow on the mss52DME)goes to DME. Then there is also a black violet wire from the EWS for the "everything is okay signal". When it gets word from the EWS that everything is okay, the next time you hit the start signal with the key the DME will ground the starter relay and let it rip. So I added a relay to change that positive 12v signal to a ground that triggers the factory relay and boom problem solved with a EWS that still functions like stock. I am going to take it a step further and take the "everything is okay" signal and use that to enable something else so it is even more difficult to hot wire this thing.

I am hopefully getting a module from Thaniel on here to kick on AC, Use the R/T and talk button as anti lag and boost scramble triggers, and get the oil temp gauge working off the can bus. That would be awesome.

Very helpful but a couple of things to add:
    1. The red wire that supplies power to the black wire via the EWS internal relay is hot at all times.
    2. For those that are doing an auto to manual swap, there is a blue/black wire to the EWS from the transmission control module that will need switched voltage
    to satisfy the park/neutral input into the EWS. I would assume this input comes directly from the clutch switch if the vehicle had a manual trans. Without that input you will not have voltage to the control side of the starter relay and also no feed to the larger black wire power side of the relay.
    Last edited by Gmw E39; 02-11-2018 at 08:29 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    CEL:

Where do I tap into to have the CEL on the dash work from my GM ECU? I grounded the wire on X16 pin 17 as suggested in this thread and all that did was pop a fuse. This make since with a pinout I later came across that shows pin 17 going to fuse F18. Mines an '02 with the IKE 3 connector cluster.

From what I gather, both the GM ECU and DME use a ground signal to trigger the CEL. For now I have a CEL hooked up to a bulb from the GM ECU, but it looks stupid and I want the one on the dash to work.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    So far ive removed the original engine and removed almost all of the relays from the ebox that led to the I6 motor. i want to have the starter activated by the ign *start* when i turn the key. but what wire is it in the bundle of wires that i have remaining-see pictures(its all the wires that came from the main wiring harness to the ebox that than led to the relays). i already have connected both black wires from the ews together(idk if this wil allow a signal to give the *okay* to send power to what ever wire i am looking for(for the starter). I read that the ews is disabled when the dme relay is removed, but i still connected the two black wires on the ews unsure if it does anything.
    Attachment 643314Attachment 643315
    the second picture is where the clipped wires are that lead to relays in ebox, sorry that its dark. And any ideas on what wire i can use for when the ign is in the *on* position. to power the gm harness or efi kit(i havent decided bc the price difference is huge) and fuel pump. i can find the wires that lead to the fuel pump and connect a separate relay that i can buy separately to power it from a simple switch on the center console when i get in the car. I hope im not too confusing on what im trying todo. i have read here on the wiring forum and still cant find where exactly the wires are located and if they are live even tho i did what most dont do and cut all the relays from the ebox.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540ia sold
    Hey guys I have a 2003 530i and I am trying to find the start signal from my X6011 and WDS suggests its pin 5 Black/green cable. I cannot get a 12v signal at this cable when I have someone flip the key to the start position.
    I am also not seeing any activity on pin 3 (black cable) on x6011 connector when the key is on the start position. I am able to get 12v ign on from pin 6 on x6011 (green/white) and i'm using that to turn on my DME relay circuit and fuel pump. My fuel pump is turned on by a trigger signal from pin 6 which then grounds the black/violet cable for the fuel pump relay.

Can someone tell if the black cable (pin 3 on x6011) needs to be grounded or provided 12v?
    Contact me if you're in the GTA, Ontario area for G.A.S master timing kit rental

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540ia sold
    Quote Originally Posted by ltpickles View Post
    Hey guys I have a 2003 530i and I am trying to find the start signal from my X6011 and WDS suggests its pin 5 Black/green cable. I cannot get a 12v signal at this cable when I have someone flip the key to the start position.
    I am also not seeing any activity on pin 3 (black cable) on x6011 connector when the key is on the start position. I am able to get 12v ign on from pin 6 on x6011 (green/white) and i'm using that to turn on my DME relay circuit and fuel pump. My fuel pump is turned on by a trigger signal from pin 6 which then grounds the black/violet cable for the fuel pump relay.

Can someone tell if the black cable (pin 3 on x6011) needs to be grounded or provided 12v?
    I was able to solve this by providing 12v (key on) to pin 3 (blue/black) from connector X70003 (blue 52 pin connector in the ebox). This gave me 12v start at pin 3 on x6011 (black cable) and allowed me to turn on my starter.
    Its probably a better idea to wire pin 3 from X70003 to the park position switch in the gear lever assembly so that the car will only start when in park. If we leave this cable energized all the time, it will allow the starter to turn in any gear position (PRNDL).
    Contact me if you're in the GTA, Ontario area for G.A.S master timing kit rental

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by ltpickles View Post
    I was able to solve this by providing 12v (key on) to pin 3 (blue/black) from connector X70003 (blue 52 pin connector in the ebox). This gave me 12v start at pin 3 on x6011 (black cable) and allowed me to turn on my starter.
    Its probably a better idea to wire pin 3 from X70003 to the park position switch in the gear lever assembly so that the car will only start when in park. If we leave this cable energized all the time, it will allow the starter to turn in any gear position (PRNDL).
    Back from the dead. This actually answered one of my questions.

I see there is also a DME connection from pin 33 of x6004 to pin 4 of the EWS. Is this not required? I’m running standalone with plenty of available outputs so I can send the EWS almost anything.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast