Thread: My First BMW -- 318i -- Here's the Plan

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i Coupe

My First BMW -- 318i -- Here's the Plan

Last edited by Soul Shinobi; 03-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah I don't think you should bother with the idle gear, crank sproket, oil pump (replace the gasket though and inspect the pick-up tube for cracks).

Spark plugs tube gaskets usually come with the valve cover kit.

Prestone coolant is fine (I'm using Xerex G-05, meets BMW specs but not necessary). When changing the coolant you should try and pull the block drain plug to get all the old stuff out. Make sure you use Distilled water when doing your 50/50 mix. If you save the money on those unnecessary parts I would suggest do more cooling system parts, over flow tank, pump (unless you know how old the current one is), hoses, check to see if you have a plastic piece at the back of the head where the coolant comes out those tend to fail.

If your in a warm area then 15w-40 is good to use for summer, any full synthetic is good to go with.

You probably didn't have to replace the timing chain, but you have it

You might want to replace the ignition coils if they are over 100k, you can get a set on ebay for a good price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CO...-/290646642153

Rmeuropean and rockauto are also good parts stores. When doing the valve cover make sure you get the rubber grommets that go under the bolts.

Post pics of the car! use a free image hosting site.
    Last edited by Eric93se; 03-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    '95 318i
    Not sure if your 92 requires different parts than other m42s but you should double check your prices. Some things like your oil filter is priced doubled than most. (Fcp is about 5 bucks). Thermostat is 14 bucks at fcp for a wahler. 47 is pretty pricey wherever you saw that.