Thread: Home Link Remote

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

Home Link Remote

Has anyone added the Home Link remote in their 8. I just wanted to know if it is worth the effort and how to install it. I have a new garage door motor but with the old receiver so I understood that it will work with the older ones. Any help will be appreciated. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181071020057...84.m1438.l2649

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    See Signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    That's the guide i used when installing mine and it was worth the effort. The only thing differently was distance of the hole i cut between the sunroof switch and the homelink module. The write up it shows .75", which when i marked it off didn't look centered with the middle dome light. I believe i moved it over another half inch (1.25" total).
    '97 850CI/'05 M3 ZCP/'92 Jeep Comanche

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Great help I just printed a copy. There are to types on the EBay one with white numbers and one without the one without has what looks like a red light just above the number 2 do either of these unit number light up the numbers at night so you can see them?

My Cars
    See Signature
    I have the one you have linked in your original post and the number buttons are back lit with the lights on. They also can operate rolling code garage door openers. Besides not being back lit, the older modules with the raised black buttons do not work with rolling code garage door openers.

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    Since I have a fixed code in my condo unit then I should get the one linked on my post with the white numbers correct? I just want to make sure I get the correct one. Then I will have to figure out how to code it. Thanks

My Cars
    See Signature
    The one in your link should be backwards compatible for older fixed code openers. We have a Genie garage door opener that's probably original to our 20 year old house that was opened by a code leftover from the used homelink module installed in my 8 (guess that's why they developed rolling codes). But normally you'll need the remote to program the homelink; i've attached instructions.

HomeLink_Programming_Guide.pdf

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    I happily did this mod on the weekend past and love how much more modern the car seems now. Oh the small things...
    Just as a side note, My garage door opener needed the Liftmaster MyQ repeater (Bridge) to translate from Homelink language to MyQ language, but I had it installed years ago to ensure the same Homelink garage door opener module worked with my X5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    I definitely feel the instructions here from Frankie need to be added to Dr T.'s instructions, as you really need to remove that motherboard/buttons boards from the homelink module case, to dremel with a cutting wheel, (the housing) so it is much slimmer.

bmw e31 homelink case reduced 1.jpg
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    No need to cut up anything, or hack something together. Get yourself a self dimming/ Homelink/ Compass mirror out of an E90,92. Remove you original mirror, attach this one and plug it in. Works for all 1993-1999 cars.
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 06-06-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    No need to cut up anything, or hack something together. Get yourself a self dimming/ Homelink/ Compass mirror out of an E90,92. Remove you original mirror, attach this one and plug it in. Works for all 1993-1999 cars.
    Sadly, my car is a 03/90 build.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I’m planning to follow this guide to add the e90 rear view to my ‘91

http://www.frankies-bmw.com/8series/...s_homelink.php

I’m interested in homelink, dimming, and perhaps wiring the clown nose LED into an aftermarket alarm system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    I have a spare pretty cheap if needed, they are fantastic and uses the original mirror mount.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I might have someone that can fabricate an adapter plug, then it would work just the same.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!