Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TV Module for backup camera?

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Success!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Congrats sleuth255!
    Pretty cool when everything works as expected/planned, huh?
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Just saw this. You got it figured out. Looks like you bought the $20 camera off Amazon. Good choice.

Cool that such things can be added to our old cars
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    I was surprised at how straightforward it was. I actually used a camera assembly that fit into the right license plate light and, as many have noted, running the cable from the trunk lid through the rubber gaiter was the most difficult part. I did come up with somewhat of a novel solution for it however: Since I had some repair work to do on the trunk cables anyway (they break inside the gaiter over time due to repeated flexing), I ended up using one of the broken wires as a fish to pull through the camera cable and its replacement from top to bottom. I just soldered everything together at the top to make a strong and compact connection (didn't want it pulling apart halfway through). That worked pretty much perfectly.

Thanks for all the great info on this thread btw! The TV module list and the cable pinouts were critical to getting it all sorted. Not too expensive either. I was able to find a TV module on eBay for about $90 delivered so all in all, I spent maybe $130 total with the camera, relay and other misc. parts. It really is way cool to have a 15 year old car with capabilities that rival modern cars (plus, we can still actually work on them!)
    Last edited by sleuth255; 10-15-2017 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info on this thread btw! The TV module list and the cable pinouts were critical to getting it all sorted. Not too expensive either. I was able to find a TV module on eBay for about $90 delivered so all in all, I spent maybe $130 total with the camera, relay and other misc. parts. It really is way cool to have a 15 year old car with capabilities that rival modern cars (plus, we can still actually work on them!)
    Which camera did you utilize? Link? Looking to add a backup camera to my NBT install. Thanks
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Here it is on ebay: Water Dust proof 170° Car Rear View Backup Camera for BMW E38 E39 E46 E46s X5/6

It has a common ground for camera power and video so make sure you ground the shield for the power connection (red connector) to the chassis. I did this in the trunk lid by running a ground from the shield of the red connector cable to one of the 3 bolts that attach the trunk release assembly to the trunk lid. The ground for the backup camera on the TV module isn't coupled to chassis ground so if you don't do this, the camera won't activate. I was a bit worried about doing this but after several days of use, there don't appear to be any ill effects. They include a cable that plugs into the two connectors shown. At the other end you have yellow = signal to white connector, shield = ground to white connector, orange = + 12V. It is actually terminated with a yellow RCA connector that has a red power wire coming out of the back. Obviously, you won't be able to fish it down the rubber gaiter with that on however....
    Last edited by sleuth255; 11-07-2017 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 03’ 540i M Sport

Smile Questions regarding Backup Cam Feature

I have stumbled upon this theory that a Back-up cam feature can be added to my e39 OEM Nav unit, and I'm curious to know the exact procedure that I need to follow. In addition, I know I will have to purchase the TV module unit, as well as purchase a back up cam. However, what exact cables will be required for this job. Furthermore, if you could add pictures that would be great!

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikype39 View Post
    I have stumbled upon this theory that a Back-up cam feature can be added to my e39 OEM Nav unit, and I'm curious to know the exact procedure that I need to follow. In addition, I know I will have to purchase the TV module unit, as well as purchase a back up cam. However, what exact cables will be required for this job. Furthermore, if you could add pictures that would be great!
    At a very high level (sorry for lack of part #s as I type this):

* Acquire a TV module (or video switcher)
    * Acquire harness cable needed between MKIV navigation unit and TV module
    * Acquire 3rd party harness cable to feed camera input into TV module.
    * Acquire suitable backup camera. This may be tricky; BMW part numbers for their cameras are murky at best. I think there were some available for the E46. Viewing angle seems important, as well as low light capabilities.
    * Verify fit of backup camera in your car (it will probably replace one of the license plate lights). I'm not convinced the camera I have will fit my E38 correctly.
    * Find recommended wiring diagrams; study them and figure out how you want your setup to be. Some people run an extra switch to the driver area to allow for turning on the rear view camera on-demand.
    * Acquire relays needed for wiring and any misc connectors needed.
    * Assemble the special wiring and relays.
    * Install the components.

Look for my posts in this forum, with "ATSC" as a keyword. Earlier in the year I started down the path of adding a backup camera and have been side-tracked with too many other tasks. I currently have a BMW TV module in my car that has been "updated" to support digital ATSC, but I have yet to pull in a digital tv signal. No biggie; I got the TV module because I wanted the capability it has for a rear view camera support and as a novelty, the aux video/audio input/output. Click here for one of my posts on this subject.

Even though I am not done, I think looking back a video switching module would have been better (simpler?). All of the remaining parts to complete the project are sitting in a box in my garage. Between this site and others, there is a lot of information on how to add the camera. A challenge is tracking down some of the parts which may be NLA. The harness cable that goes between the MKIV navigation computer and the TV module was sourced on Ebay from eastern Europe (Lithuania I think...)

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Here's a write up that may help out Nikype39:
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/140540

Also, e38.org has other links with TV info that you could check out.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I have a TV module for a 4:3 screen if you need it. PM me.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    Hate to revive an old thread but I'm a bit stuck

I sourced a tv module, and it works. I wired up the relay from bimmertech and when I go into reverse, the screen switches to the camera

I bought this camera:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...BoCssoQAvD_BwE

After it switches to camera, it will show the video for about 3 seconds then go black / flickering. If I go out of reverse and back to reversse, I just get black / flickering (no video just black with some white flickering a bit).

If I turn the car off and back on the above repeats.

Wondering if this camera isn't the right one, or if anyone has any thoughts?

2000 M5, LCM 4 with LED celis tails if that matters.

Wired into the reverse light wire and the ground in the rear light harness for the camera. relay is wired to the same reverse light wire and a ground on chasis.

Thanks
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

My Cars
    Z3M
    What pins from the harness did you tap into for the video? Did you follow the instructions in this thread?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-and-brief-DIY
    2011 Mercedes e550
    1998 Z3M roadster
    1999 Z3 2.3 roadster
    2001 750iL Sport

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    Quote Originally Posted by RDE38 View Post
    What pins from the harness did you tap into for the video? Did you follow the instructions in this thread?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-and-brief-DIY

I tapped into pins 13 and 14 on the white connector for the RCA connector as per the bimmer tech instructions and wiring diagram. Pin 17 for the relay switch on the blue connector.

The wiring diagram is the same as in that thread, minus the switch up front. I've tried a couple of ground locations also with no difference.
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    Ok so tested the video input with my Nintendo Wii (only thing I could find with an RCA Video!) and it works perfectly, so either the camera is bad or incompatible. I tried switching to PAL with no difference.

So maybe don't buy that ECS camera / trunk switch.
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    So figured some things out, for anyone else that comes across this in the future, hopefully this will help.

I ended up ordering a second camera based on a forum post:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H852D49?...t_details&th=1

I installed this in my driver's side license plate light, i drilled a hole between the bulb and the outer face where the metal conductor for the bulb is. this was the perfect spot and only required some electrical tape along that connector. I siliconed the camera to affix it and also placed a very small zap strap around the post of the camera, through the outer body of the bulb holder. Make sure to have the connection of the zap strap inside the housing or you won't get the housing back into it's spot in the trunk. Use a very small zap strap.

Of course, I tested this camera first, and it worked great when I switched power on (engine off) and put it in reverse. So I figured the other camera was no good and buttoned it up and drove off.

First time backing up in the parking lot i get flickers and black screen...

So... I bought a power rectifier:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B097H39V77?...roduct_details

I wired this between the camera positive and the reverse light wire. Same results. Would work fine until I drove or ran the engine for a while.

I had already suspected that there may be a voltage drop or irregularities to that reverse bulb, so I finally just connected the camera positive, via the rectifier, to a switched power source at the DSP connector.

So far, that picture is solid, no flicker. Picture quality on this second camera is much better than the first, night picture is great too. Also, the connector on this Natika camera is very small and only one, you don't have two big RCA connectors to route like the on the ECS camera.

I suspect the ECS camera would work fine in this configuration also.

Hopefully that is it, now to route the wires through the trunk lid. I spent way too much time, and money on this camera but it's still the cheapest mod on my car.
    Last edited by applecran; 02-12-2024 at 02:20 AM.
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by applecran View Post
    So figured some things out, for anyone else that comes across this in the future, hopefully this will help.

I ended up ordering a second camera based on a forum post:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H852D49?...t_details&th=1

I installed this in my driver's side license plate light, i drilled a hole between the bulb and the outer face where the metal conductor for the bulb is. this was the perfect spot and only required some electrical tape along that connector. I siliconed the camera to affix it and also placed a very small zap strap around the post of the camera, through the outer body of the bulb holder. Make sure to have the connection of the zap strap inside the housing or you won't get the housing back into it's spot in the trunk. Use a very small zap strap.

Of course, I tested this camera first, and it worked great when I switched power on (engine off) and put it in reverse. So I figured the other camera was no good and buttoned it up and drove off.

First time backing up in the parking lot i get flickers and black screen...

So... I bought a power rectifier:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B097H39V77?...roduct_details

I wired this between the camera positive and the reverse light wire. Same results. Would work fine until I drove or ran the engine for a while.

I had already suspected that there may be a voltage drop or irregularities to that reverse bulb, so I finally just connected the camera positive, via the rectifier, to a switched power source at the DSP connector.

So far, that picture is solid, no flicker. Picture quality on this second camera is much better than the first, night picture is great too. Also, the connector on this Natika camera is very small and only one, you don't have two big RCA connectors to router like the on the ECS camera.

I suspect the ECS camera would work fine in this configuration also.

Hopefully that is it, now to route the wires through the trunk lid. I spent way too much time, and money on this camera but it's still the cheapest mod on my car.
    Nice. Reverse camera retrofit is one of the last things I want to do on my car but haven’t gotten around to it. Can you post pics when you’re all done for reference?
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    Quote Originally Posted by Btkeenan View Post
    Nice. Reverse camera retrofit is one of the last things I want to do on my car but haven’t gotten around to it. Can you post pics when you’re all done for reference?
    One thing, today while taking pictures, that zap strap was stoping me from being able to remove the license plate light, so I deleted it and am going to see how the silicon holds up for holding it in. Silicon is pretty strong so I think it will be ok.

IMG_0255 Medium.jpegIMG_0256 Medium.jpegIMG_0257 Medium.jpegIMG_0258 Medium.jpegIMG_0261 Medium.jpeg
    Last edited by applecran; 02-12-2024 at 03:50 PM.
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2012 X5 35d
    Small thing, I had to move the camera to passenger side as there was not enough length to run the cable through to the trunk.

I was able to get the cable through the wiring tube from the lid to the trunk today. A few things of note:

1. Can't imagine getting two rca size connectors through there, just not sure how that would happen so this Natika camera's small connector works well
    2. My wiring tube was broken in three spots- which was helpful in fishing the cable

I found a broken wire while I was in there (my trunk unlocks all doors now that I've fixed that!). I did two thins that worked well for fishing the cable:

I used an Albright not to tie a long wire to the broken wire (might even be worth cutting a wire to use to fish) and pulled a long wire into the trunk. Of course the broken wire didn't go through the entire tube, so I still needed to get it from the end at the trunk to the end at the lid.

I took a long zap strap and a 3/4" wood booring drill bit and used the tip to drill a small hole in the end, I then fed the zap strap from the trunk lid end to the broken area at the trunk end, put my wire through the hole, tied it and electrical taped it and pulled it through. Worked great, just be patient, the ribbed nature of that tube makes it hard to push things through.

I'm going to have to redo all this as I'll be replacing that wiring tube with a repair kit soon.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NreedQwVaMc

Edit: I realize this is a 7 series thread and I have a e39 M5 - but hopefully this is of use!
    Last edited by applecran; 02-19-2024 at 02:42 AM.
    2000 M5
    2012 X5 35d

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123