Thread: Upgrading headunit

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si

Upgrading headunit

Hey all,

Looking at upgrading the BMW Business CD unit in my Z4 to something a little bit more facilitative and to allow XM radio.

I've read around, and it seems I'm reading some conflicting posts about the OEM amp.

Not sure which headunit I'm leaning towards, but it will be a single din, and I've seen a few faceplates, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Hey,

Do you have dsp? If you do, you cannot use an aftermarket HU with the stock amp (from what I've encountered). I believe there are special digital HUs you can purchase though--but most HUs are going to be analog. As far as faceplates, I think the BMW OEM single din looks the best. PN #: 65900301349 I believe this is the silver color one. There is also a PN for the black. However, it is apparently difficult to get ahold of this part. I've had no luck so far. I'm going to try Pelican soon. I used the Scosche (sp?) kit, and I'm not happy with the results as it sticks out a bit. As far a radio, I'm pretty happy with my power acoustik: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik...power+acoustik

Let me know if I can help.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    Do you have to have XM or will Sirius (same programming) do? You can get the BMW Sirius kit which will integrate with your current head unit. Bavarian Soundwerks is one third-party source for the Sirius kit.

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Necroing an old thread of mine because I never got around to doing this as I was waiting for the extended warranty on the car to be up.

Today, through the use of some menu buttons on the radio, I was able to determine I do indeed have DSP (Version 29, apparently). Before I searched the wide web, or even did something as heinous as start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here if there have been any advancements in headunits that allow them to play nice with the stock amp in vehicles that have DSP.
    '85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
    '84 Euro 500SE
    '51 Euro 170S
    '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '08 Z4 3.0si
    '15 G63 AMG
    '96 Ford F350 7.3

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by VaiFanatic View Post
    Necroing an old thread of mine because I never got around to doing this as I was waiting for the extended warranty on the car to be up.

Today, through the use of some menu buttons on the radio, I was able to determine I do indeed have DSP (Version 29, apparently). Before I searched the wide web, or even did something as heinous as start a new thread, I figured I'd ask here if there have been any advancements in headunits that allow them to play nice with the stock amp in vehicles that have DSP.

resurrecting a 4 yr old project?
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
    resurrecting a 4 yr old project?
    Yeah man, you know it!
    '85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
    '84 Euro 500SE
    '51 Euro 170S
    '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '08 Z4 3.0si
    '15 G63 AMG
    '96 Ford F350 7.3

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Answered my own question; there still isn't anything that plays nicely with the stock amp.

Needs to be bypassed, and new wiring run to all 10 of the speakers.

This should take me another four years to complete.
    '85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
    '84 Euro 500SE
    '51 Euro 170S
    '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '08 Z4 3.0si
    '15 G63 AMG
    '96 Ford F350 7.3

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by VaiFanatic View Post
    Answered my own question; there still isn't anything that plays nicely with the stock amp.

Needs to be bypassed, and new wiring run to all 10 of the speakers.

This should take me another four years to complete.
    I'm sure many of us were curious to see what you'd come up with, ha

It's a project I've thought about many times as well and quickly become disinterested with the amount of work needed
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

My Cars
    2008 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
    I'm sure many of us were curious to see what you'd come up with, ha

It's a project I've thought about many times as well and quickly become disinterested with the amount of work needed
    Yeah, it's something I'd like to do; given the heat I'll likely save it as a winter project this year.

I could easily wire everything up to just the unit, but I feel an amp would be more appropriate to drive all the speakers to preserve or even improve the fidelity. The question is, what amp is the best choice for this setup? Ideally something small like the factory amp so I don't lose space or have a giant amp hanging out in the trunk or behind the seat.
    '85 Euro 190E 2.3-16
    '84 Euro 500SE
    '51 Euro 170S
    '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '08 Z4 3.0si
    '15 G63 AMG
    '96 Ford F350 7.3