Thread: Radio,cluster signal and cruise control not working after heated steering install

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I found a 1996 740IAL heated steering wheel in the junkyard, so I took it and installed it on my 1998 740il the heated steering wheel is working but none of the new buttons are working, the BC stopped working and the MID is not working at all.
    When I put the old steering wheel with its buttons every thing works fine

FYI I swapped the tape radio with cd43

Please let me know what do you think

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    any one knows what is going on?

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    Killed a fuse maybe. Check those

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 740il97g View Post
    Killed a fuse maybe. Check those
    No when I am plugging the old steering wheel everything works fine

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Maybe the junkyard part had broken buttons
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    Maybe the junkyard part had broken buttons
    I just bought a new one, but the car looked so clean

I am just wondering if it has anything to do with i-bus or can-bus?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The 1996 heated steering wheel you picked up at the junk yard is on the other side of the build date where the MFL control module is NOT integrated into the right button pod...but is located under the dash. Your 98 isn't communicating with the multi-function buttons on the 1996 heated steeering wheel because it can't (without the MFL-control module).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The 1996 heated steering wheel you picked up at the junk yard is on the other side of the build date where the MFL control module is NOT integrated into the right button pod...but is located under the dash. Your 98 isn't communicating with the multi-function buttons on the 1996 heated steeering wheel because it can't (without the MFL-control module).

So how can I get it to work?

Alpine 7even is offline The King Of E38 Custom BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    e38 iL, F-e38 iL, e23 L7
    Swap your buttons and also the heated steering wheel may have a bad slip ring (tape ring).

edit: Q is right.
    Last edited by Alpine 7even; 03-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.

-2000 iL Individual. VF Supercharged at 12psi, Dinan MAF and TB, 6spd 420g swap, Euro under body guards, strong strut, N62 engine cover, Hydro trunk, Full suspension mods, Brembo F+R big brakes, custom headliner/interior, Bi-Xenon headlights, wide screen nav/mk4, Custom splash screen (I make them), coded video module with custom made harness, reverse camera, Intravee II, factory rear screen entertainment console, rear comms armrest, rear blower, seat back tables and writing tablet, all euro options coded on etc.
    -1997 iL. Pioneer 8500nex double din/Avic navigation, swc and dsp still functional. Reverse camera, full suspension upgrades, leather dash, console and door cards, rear blower, Re-upholstered seats, facelift sport contour seats, heated steering wheel, 750 front brakes, custom cup holder replacing the front ash tray, all euro options coded, headliner in black, rear headliner MID console.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 7even View Post
    Swap your buttons and also the heated steering wheel may have a bad slip ring (tape ring).

edit: Q is right.
    so even if I changed the buttons It's still not going to work, right?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

Are you getting these informations from DIS TIS ?

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    So if replaced the buttons will it work? Or do I need to replace the steering too?

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Ah cool, these guys know so much. According to that chart you just need the newer buttons with the MFL built in and you are all set. Glad to know this info. Was going to replace my 750's worn buttons from an ebay part. I wonder if they look identical on the front or if there is a way to id the 2 from pics of the front.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I can't guarantee it will work...but let's do some deduction:
    1. As stated in the 3rd paragraph in the info above about the button pods...it says the button pods are microprocessors and they send their output data to the MFL control module.
    2. You purchased a 1996 heated steering wheel whose MFL control module is located below the dash (which your 1998 e38 doesn't have)...thus there is no module receiving the data from your steering wheel.
    3. If it is possible to swap the button pods from your 1998 steering wheel on to your 1996 steering wheel...you may get the MFL buttons to communicate over the I/K bus to reach the other control module it needs to...but what about your heated steering wheel button? Would you lose that since your 1998 has the IHKA recirculation button on it?
    4. Did you look in the parts database to see if you could purchase the right button pod for a 9/96-up that would be for a heated steering wheel?

My first move would be to see if the 1996 steering wheel can accept the button pods from the 1998...if it can, my next move would be to see if the AUC recirculation button will default to turning the heating element in the steering wheel on...if it does, then see if the button can be swapped (I'm not holding out for this since that button also has a green LED in it). My next move would be to see if I could find a used or new right button pod that has the heated steering wheel button in it for the 1998 e38 steering wheel. If all of the aforemention fails...then be prepared to sell the heated steering wheel to someone with a 1995-1996 e38...and take the proceeds from that sale and look for a heated steering wheel from a 9/96-2/99 build date e38 or e39.

Good luck.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I can't guarantee it will work...but let's do some deduction:
    [*]As stated in the 3rd paragraph in the info above about the button pods...it says the button pods are microprocessors and they send their output data to the MFL control module.[*]You purchased a 1996 heated steering wheel whose MFL control module is located below the dash (which your 1998 e38 doesn't have)...thus there is no module receiving the data from your steering wheel.[*]If it is possible to swap the button pods from your 1998 steering wheel on to your 1996 steering wheel...you may get the MFL buttons to communicate over the I/K bus to reach the other control module it needs to...but what about your heated steering wheel button? Would you lose that since your 1998 has the IHKA recirculation button on it?[*]Did you look in the parts database to see if you could purchase the right button pod for a 9/96-up that would be for a heated steering wheel?

My first move would be to see if the 1996 steering wheel can accept the button pods from the 1998...if it can, my next move would be to see if the AUC recirculation button will default to turning the heating element in the steering wheel on...if it does, then see if the button can be swapped (I'm not holding out for this since that button also has a green LED in it). My next move would be to see if I could find a used or new right button pod that has the heated steering wheel button in it for the 1998 e38 steering wheel. If all of the aforemention fails...then be prepared to sell the heated steering wheel to someone with a 1995-1996 e38...and take the proceeds from that sale and look for a heated steering wheel from a 9/96-2/99 build date e38 or e39.

Good luck.
    Wow
    Thanks a lot
    That is exactly what I am going to do.
    I got this steering for $12 only, so if it worked it will be awesome
    I get a ski bag for the same price too

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Q is right. It is definitely the buttons. I went through a similar thing when I installed voice recognition in my car. My older buttons didn't support the VR that came out in '00-'01, so I needed to put buttons on my wheel from a later car.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    In order for me to put the newer buttons I need a new slip ring because the wiring is not the same