Thread: Problems with new format, is it my computer or the new forum software?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

Problems with new format, is it my computer or the new forum software?

When typing and you want to hit the return key to start a new line it doesn't work. After you submit the thread there use to be a box at the bottom left you could hit which would bring you back to the main forum. Now you have to scroll up to the top and hit the 1996 - 2003(E39) to get back to the forum. I do like all of the other options. You have to keep typing to get to the end of the displayed page before the cursor will drop downnnnnnnnn

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport 5spd
    I think the site looks terrible now

2002 530i Sport 5 speed

My Cars
    2007 Cayman S, 2006 E55
    Search function is not working either. At least not for me. It just returns 0 results all the time.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The upgrade is far from complete... I'd say we are about 20% through right now. It was either come back with a soft launch or have two weeks of downtime to get everything reinstalled and polished. Being offline for two week when people need the valuable information housed in the forum seemed a bit extreme, so we are back (even if off and on for the next two weeks).

The search is a critical component of the site... we put the old search dog down and are replacing it with something new fresh and fancy, but unfortunately... it takes a little while to get all 25 million posts reindexed. It will be back, it just takes time.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2007 Cayman S, 2006 E55
    Add email notification of replies to the list of things currently down. We understand that there will be some growing pains with this transition, and respect the work you guys are putting into it. I sticky thread of what is down at the moment might be useful to save some people time though.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The emails is a whole separate issue because of well.. email blacklists/spam reports etc., but it is on our list for our host to fix while we work through the software upgrades.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ah glad I read this first. Was also getting the zero results return.

25 million post. Damn.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I like the old look better. The white background makes it look like bimmerfest (not that anything is wrong with the fest, just saying).
    I want to see how the site looks/functions when it's all done though

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport Torana GTR
    Sometimes upgrades are not worth the cost or effort.

One step forward and two steps backwards!

This new format is clunky and not user friendly.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Are there any end user benefits of the new forum?
    Or is it just for the benefit of administration and optimization?

My Cars
    destiny
    I could be worse, atleast the actual board is back up.
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    wanna search... use google and search bimmerforums + whatever you want to find...
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I would hate to think what it takes to run a site like this... I liked what they did before, So im thinking I will give them some time to get it right ??
    Kinda like a new pair of jeans,,,

My Cars
    2001 530i 5spd/2001 M5
    This new setup isn't very user friendly to me. Is there any way to bring the old one back?

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring
    Upgrading from VBB 3.x to 4.2 takes a lot of time and effort. The entire forum had to be reindexed, which is why it was down. The current theme is the default layout because 4.2 reset the styles. It will take them a while to tweak everything to how it was before. Major software updates take a while.

My Cars
    2001 540i M-Sport
    I hope they plan on replacing the cooling system and fan clutch while they do this upgrade.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Once the upgrade is complete, I imagine there will be the obligatory choice of style formats to choose from. I'm surprised some '12s are more level headed and patient than the pre-'10s.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 03-11-2013 at 03:07 AM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    The upgrade is far from complete... I'd say we are about 20% through right now. It was either come back with a soft launch or have two weeks of downtime to get everything reinstalled and polished. Being offline for two week when people need the valuable information housed in the forum seemed a bit extreme, so we are back (even if off and on for the next two weeks).

The search is a critical component of the site... we put the old search dog down and are replacing it with something new fresh and fancy, but unfortunately... it takes a little while to get all 25 million posts reindexed. It will be back, it just takes time.
    Thanks for the update. At least this upgrade doesn't look like it is going to bomb out like it did when Roadfly did theirs. I don't spend much time there anymore, more than 1/2 the page is filled with ads and takes toooo long to load.

My Cars
    '02 540i
    The search algorithm totally sucked as do most of the forum searchs regardless of what forum is about, etc. Too bad you could not fix the search to do something reasonable and leave the rest.
    Old, contrary, and out-of-touch,
    but still learning sumpin' every day
    NOTORIOUSLY long-winded :-(

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru01 View Post
    Sometimes upgrades are not worth the cost or effort.

One step forward and two steps backwards!

This new format is clunky and not user friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlova789 View Post
    This new setup isn't very user friendly to me. Is there any way to bring the old one back?
    Quote Originally Posted by m5hoot View Post
    The search algorithm totally sucked as do most of the forum searchs regardless of what forum is about, etc. Too bad you could not fix the search to do something reasonable and leave the rest.
    Obviously you guys missed Kevlar's post saying that the upgrade is about 20% complete. I probably wouldn't like my car very much if it had a back seat, two wheels, no windows, no suspension, and ran on two cylinders. Be patient... when the updating is finished I'm sure you'll like it after a week's time and you'll have forgotten about the old version.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
    I hope they plan on replacing the cooling system and fan clutch while they do this upgrade.
    +1 lol

But I like that the site is being upgraded, although I understand it isn't anywhere close to being finished. I think the old gray color theme was perfect IMO. They new white seems too bright and the black seems too dark, idk maybe I'm just picky. But small things such as the color theme won't stop me from coming back here every single day. Keep up the good work
    Oh and maybe we could add some new smilies, just a thought