Thread: Top Motor: power but no movement

My Cars
    98 M3 Cabrio

Top Motor: power but no movement

So, i can't really resync the convertible motors because I can't get my top (the physical top windshield motor) to release the latches for me to put the top down.

I tried manually with the allen wrench, but after trying a BILLION turns, one side finally unlocked, the other side didnt. So, I tried to screw it back in and latch the drivers side...Nothing.

I had to take an 8mm wrench to the drivers side cable where the latch is, and crank it back to where the latch is locked.

I tried pushing the "down" button today. I hear the motor working, but nothing is unlatching/moving. I can see that the cables aren't spinning like they should.

I'm just assuming my motor is bad, but I wants to be sure I've tried everything. Any other advice? I have a guy about 2 hours away that has the top motor, but I don't want to have to pay for it if I can fix mine first.

Thanks.
    '98 ///M 3/2/5 - Cosmos on Dove [SOLD]
    '08 335i Coupe - SGM/Grey | MHD Stage 2 93oct | Apex Arc-8 18x9.5 Black Chrome | Cp-e Charge Pipe | VRSF C****** Downpipes | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AA BOV | DCI | BMS Cabin Filter | Custom-Mounted Nexus 7 infotainment tablet

My Cars
    Alpine Vert
    Sounds to me like the worm drive is snapped. You can look here for a fix (post#4). Not a simple fix because the cables are not sold by themselves. But it is repairable if you go to task.

My Cars
    98 M3 Cabrio
    I found out that the latch motor was toast. A gear inside was busted and caused it not to move the cable drives. Currently searching for a latch motor.

I did however get to re-sync the motors, and everything works perfectly. I just have to take a drill, mount the gear that spins the cables to latch the top, and drive it so that it closes.

I'm just happy I can put the top down, it's nice out here this weekend.
    '98 ///M 3/2/5 - Cosmos on Dove [SOLD]
    '08 335i Coupe - SGM/Grey | MHD Stage 2 93oct | Apex Arc-8 18x9.5 Black Chrome | Cp-e Charge Pipe | VRSF C****** Downpipes | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AA BOV | DCI | BMS Cabin Filter | Custom-Mounted Nexus 7 infotainment tablet