Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNING: Continental Extreme Contact DWS

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    That's unfortunate - I'm glad she & your nine year old are safe! Do you know if there was pre-existing pot hole damage (bubbled sidewall) prior to the blowout? I've put over 50k miles on my ExtremeContacts over multiple sets and have never had a problem, but they *do* have soft sidewalls and seem to be sensitive to being pinched when hitting a pot hole at speed.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    BMW 328Xi Sports Wagon
    The tires are less than 9 months old, with no damage that I'm aware of. These are our second set, with no issues with the first. I just decided to perform a Google search to see if anyone else experienced anything similar. To my surprise I found this thread and a few others.

My Cars
    Last best BMW was E38
    IMG_20161111_074125.jpg

DITTO similar experience. Continental Extreme DWS 255/40/18 on my e38 sport rear wheel. Date code puts them at about 3.5Y from manufacture and remaining rear tire has 5-6MM tread depth. No prior damage or repairs. I was going 70MPH on the freeway at night and thought I had run over some cardboard as I heard a dragging sound which was, in retrospect, the tire carcass shredding itself. The damaged tire chewed up the rub strips on the LR door and chewed up the rear bumper cover. I contacted Continental as I have never experienced such a catastrophic failure with any other tire and they replied that the tire must have been underfilled (read operator error, not our fault). I walk around and eyeball my tires every day or two and check the pressures since I have an air compressor in my garage which makes it easy to top up. There was no obvious damage to my tires and I was in a left center lane so I don't think that I caught any road debris. Who know what exactly happened but this did not give me the warms fuzzies for this tire.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by AusE39er View Post
    With the stupid names Continental have for their tires, reason enough to steer clear nowadays. The ones I got in Australia were made in Malaysia or somewhere.

Wonder where these ones were made.
    I just bought some DWs (not DWS) and oddly the fronts where made in France and the rears in USA. I say oddly as Tire Rack doesn't list France as a possible country of origin for the size, which is were I bought them from.
    Last edited by TheDude72; 11-19-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Syntax

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    My first purchase of Continental DWS tires began in 2011 and was followed by other family owned cars having them installed by TireRack. The DWS tires have performed well since then, with some on their second set. Truthfully, not so much as a flat tire in that time. I sure hope they have not lowered their quality control standards to increase profits, as that seems to be the norm nowadays.

My Cars
    1976 2002, 1998 328is
    Just a data point: We've had nothing but good luck with multiple sets of the summer version, the ExtremeContact DW. Daily'ed them for probably 20k ... autocrossed them in the rain a couple times, etc.
    Avus 1998 328is, No. 191 STX
    Orientblau 2000 323i Touring
    Malaga 1976 2002

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I have them on the rear of my car right now... they seem to last forever, but wow lateral grip is lacking in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Hitchcock View Post
    Just a data point: We've had nothing but good luck with multiple sets of the summer version, the ExtremeContact DW. Daily'ed them for probably 20k ... autocrossed them in the rain a couple times, etc.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Kevlar, a strange issue, as wet performance is a highlight in their ratings. Is there a possibility the performance indicator W has worn away due to high mileage?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12