Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny ADS Interface - another open source ADS interface

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannbodge View Post
    I've got one of these on order and I'm building a case for it.

How long do you hold down the service reset button for when doing an Oil reset and Insp reset?

I thought I read 3 sec for OIL and 12 for INSP but can't find it anywhere
    Yes 3 - 5 seconds for OIL and 12+ for INSP.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I've got one of these now, it's absolutely fantastic... love how compact and sturdy it is. Regarding the oil service reset, I guess all I need to unscrew the OBD housing on the cable and press the button inside? Hadn't even thought about it yet, but my oil service has been on red for months now, might as well sort it out.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No!, connect pin 7 of the round 20 pin diagnostic port to a good chassis earth for 3 -5 seconds with the ignition on (i.e. dash warning lights on but engine not running). Then turn the ignition off, and back on and you should see green across the board.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    I know about that, just thought there might be a simpler method using the TinyADS interface cable that's all!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    just thought there might be a simpler method using the TinyADS interface cable that's all!
    It doesn't get any simpler than a paper clip between pin7 and pin19 for 10 seconds. It will take you longer to unscrew the cap
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 03-17-2014 at 07:47 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobek View Post
    I've got one of these now, it's absolutely fantastic... love how compact and sturdy it is. Regarding the oil service reset, I guess all I need to unscrew the OBD housing on the cable and press the button inside? Hadn't even thought about it yet, but my oil service has been on red for months now, might as well sort it out.
    I agree with everyone else that it is so simple to just use a wire, but to answer the question: If you have the tiny ads interface inside the 20 pin connecter then yes you could, if you wanted to, open up the connector to use the service reset button on the tiny ads board. I'd prefer using a wire wire to messing with the screws on the interface though. If your tiny ads board was outside the connector, then you'd find using the reset button a lot nicer of course.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Gonna open mine and see if I can fabricate a rod or button to actuate that without having to open it again, nice and clean way to do this without having to decipher the pin numbering.
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    318is M44
    Quote Originally Posted by benemorius View Post
    Allow me to introduce yet another ADS interface design. This is what resulted when I took the almost free ADS interface design and tried to just make a PCB for it. I had intended to make something which would supersede that one, but instead they each have their own use now. I ended up redoing the design just about from scratch, so this is a completely different interface from the almost free interface.

This design includes an actual PCB layout (I never did one for the almost free interface) and is more suitable for long-term use than a bunch of transistors wired up on a breadboard. It also adds status LEDs and some circuit protection to guard against accidental damage. Also, it's just barely small enough to stuff inside a 20-pin ADS connector for a really clean finished product, if you like that sort of thing. Basically, where the almost free design was a bare minimum design intended for limited use, this one is a full-featured design in the same class as other ADS interfaces including BMW's original design.

So if you liked the idea of building your own interface but you wanted something more durable, you might try building this design. I'm attaching the gerber files and a parts list. You can send the gerbers straight to a PCB manufacturer (like OSH Park) to have boards made. The parts can be ordered from anywhere too, but you should find them all in stock at Mouser.

For the less adventurous, I'm also offering prebuilt interfaces here in case you don't want to build your own. No promises on how long I'll keep making them, but I've just made a batch of them today and if there is sufficient interest I'm prepared to make at least one more batch. Really though the idea is that anyone can come along and download and build the design, so hopefully there will still be ways to get an interface after I've stopped making them.

I've tested the design thoroughly, so you can expect it to function as intended, but of course mistakes do happen so if anyone discovers a flaw please let me know so I can update the design.

All design files, including the schematic and a parts list (BOM), can be found here, but I'm also attaching everything to this post for convenience.

Several attached files have had .txt extensions added so they could be attached - these extensions should be removed after downloading. In retrospect, this is anything but convenient, but I digress...
    Helo i by from you at the ebay.de this interface, can you give me a link where can i download an full funtional Inpa and other softs an install instruction to can use your interface..soru for my english.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1992 BMW E32 730i V8
    I have bought a Tiny ADS interface
    I use a really serial port (COM1) on a Compaq deskpro
    Com port settings is default
    OS is Win XP SP3
    INPA 5.0.1 EDIABAS 6.4.3 version
    I use a 1-to-1 DSUB9 serial cable between ADS and PC
    EDIABAS.ini file is modified: Interface =ADS
    ADSSETUP.exe file was run by MS-DOS prompt and say: sucessfull
    The power and the ignition green LED on interface is lights on,BUT INPA write: "power OFF" and "ignition OFF"
    The interface DSR and RI output signals is OK.

Can you help me in this problem?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3
    Used mine today to diagnose an 'Electronic transmisson control module' indicator lamp on my daughter 1999 Z3 2.3, worked great with an IBM Thinkpad T30 running XP.

( the 'Electronic transmisson control module' indicator lamp was for a '39 plausibilitaet (sic) Signal Brake light switch / Brake (sic) light test switch' / '162 Brake signal' issue...Nice job BMW...really? )

My Cars
    1996 328i convertible
    This is an old thread, but I wanted to add an update with my experience getting the "tiny ADS" cable talking successfully to a 1996 e36 (ADS with ODBII).

* Laptop: Thinkpad T21 with physical DE-9 nine-pin serial port
    * Windows XP SP3
    * Tiny ADS cable
    * INPA/EDIABAS from the disc from www.bcables.com (INPA 5.00/EDIABAS 7.3.0)

I installed INPA/EDIABAS from the bcables.com disc. It puts all the EDIABAS.INI and obd.ini files in place, sets up the environment variables, etc.

Then I edited the EDIABAS.INI files in C:\EDIABAS\bin and C:\EDIABAS1\bin to have:

Interface=STD:ADS

I also edited the three separate obd.ini files I found in C:\EDIABAS\bin, C:\EDIABAS1\bin and C:\WINDOWS to have:

[OBD]
    Hardware=ADS
    Port=Com1
    RETRY=ON

In the Windows XP hardware "Device Manager", I made sure that the "Communications Port (COM1)" device had its "Port Settings" tab with the values:

* Bits per second: 9600
    * Data bits: 8
    * Parity: None
    * Stop bits: 1
    * Flow control: None

Then I hit "Advanced..." and made sure "Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550 compatible UART)" was checked and both "Receive Buffer" and "Transmit Buffer" were set to "8".

The "Resources" tab for the COM1 port showed

* I/O Range: 03F8-03FF
    * IRQ: 04

At that point, I launched "INPALOAD.exe" and was able to see the battery and ignition indicators. Once the ignition was on (but the engine was not running) I was able to interact with the various systems in the car.

Hopefully this helps someone get up and running with the "Tiny ADS" cable in less time than it took me.

My Cars
    E39 530i Touring, Z3 3.0
    Afaik does Ediabas 7.3.0 not support ADS interfaces anymore. Try 6.4.3
    Last edited by Sebastian46; 09-21-2016 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Correct, only EDAIBAS v6.4.3 or v 6.4.7 supports ADS.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Thumbs up

I can't believe I waited so long to buy a complete Tiny ADS connector after finding this thread several years ago.

Anyone with good computer skills who enjoys working on modern classic BMWs from model year 1995 and older really owes it to themselves to pick one of these up, along with an appropriate laptop (such as an IBM T30, or a newer laptop with a docking station) with a proper RS232 serial port.

Brilliant work.
    Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 05-07-2017 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    e36
    Thank you for your work!. I want do build the Interface with throughe hole components, but I cant`t open the PCB-File with Geda PCB. Can anybody help me?

Sorry for me bad english :-)

My Cars
    e30 m52b30 86mm pistons
    Hello everyone, did anyone try to independently produce this interface from benemorius? Who got it? I built three copies and all have the same problem. They only connect to machines with OBD (tried on ms41 \ ms43 m52 / m54) But these control units do not need such a complicated scheme, a rather simple inpa d-can ((when trying to connect to a car with ADS, inpa gives an error IFH-0010. I tried it on motronic 1.7.3 and ms40.1 and on the dashboard in E36, I also checked it on knowingly faulty software with which another ADS adapter worked.
    Who can tell in which part of the scheme to look for errors? Where exactly is the part responsible for ADS? Thanks in advance to everyone who will help you figure it out.

My Cars
    02 525i sport
    Can Anyone help me out, I bought my K+DCAN cable that came with a cd of inpa. I have already set up inpa and ncs expert, but I don’t have winKFP, is that a separate download or is it on my cd as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by buzya View Post
    Hello everyone, did anyone try to independently produce this interface from benemorius? Who got it? I built three copies and all have the same problem. They only connect to machines with OBD (tried on ms41 \ ms43 m52 / m54) But these control units do not need such a complicated scheme, a rather simple inpa d-can ((when trying to connect to a car with ADS, inpa gives an error IFH-0010. I tried it on motronic 1.7.3 and ms40.1 and on the dashboard in E36, I also checked it on knowingly faulty software with which another ADS adapter worked.
    Who can tell in which part of the scheme to look for errors? Where exactly is the part responsible for ADS? Thanks in advance to everyone who will help you figure it out.
    What version of Ediabas do you have and is ADS selected in ediabas.ini?

If you have a working K-line OBD, then ADS will not work as STD:OBD will be set in ediabas.ini.

You need to edit the file each time you switch interace.

ADS als requires a 32-bit operating system (to run NTVDM 16-bit environment) not supported in 64-bit Windows.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318I Sedan
    Hi everyone!
    I tried to diagnose my E36 318i from August 1995 with this setup:
    -BMW 20pin to 16 pin obd2 adapter
    -K+DCAN USB Interface(INPA Compatible)
    -INPA 5.0.1
    -EDIABAS 6.4.3 Package 1.2
    With this setup I sucessfully diagnosed the ABS module and the Air bag system but nothing else. I could not diagnose the engine(M43B18) which I really want to do.
    What should I try next? Different software version might help? or this Tiny ADS interface will diagnose more moduls? I have read something about shorting pin 7 and pin 8 together on the adapter, what does that do?
    If someone could help me I would really appreciate it!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Any sys or ifh errors?

In ediabas/doku is a faq and error doc.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318I Sedan
    The error code I get is IFH-0006, I checked the error doc but its in German, I tried to translate it but still cant understand what this error code is about

My Cars
    1997 328i vert
    **Moderators please let me know if this is not allowed. I'm happy to be PM'd by anyone about this to save messing up the thread**

Hi all, sorry for putting this here but I figured since most of the founding information for the tool is here on Bimmerforums it might be a good spot to try. I haven't been able to make contact with anyone at Openlabs about an order for the 20-pin ADS interface I put it in on the 25th of November. I've emailed and also left a comment on the Tiny ADS Shop page.

Does anyone have a different way to contact Openlabs or benemorius so I can follow this up?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Didn't you get a tracking code? I'm waiting for mine as well.

I did get a confirmation email and tracking code.

IG:

My Cars
    1997 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Didn't you get a tracking code? I'm waiting for mine as well.

I did get a confirmation email and tracking code.
    I got the confirmation and tracking code email but they simply say a postage label was generated. I can't see whether anything has actually been sent. If you don't mind the questions; when did you place you order and has it been dispatched yet?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin eater View Post
    I got the confirmation and tracking code email but they simply say a postage label was generated. I can't see whether anything has actually been sent. If you don't mind the questions; when did you place you order and has it been dispatched yet?
    My order was placed on november 23th.
    Confirmation of shipment on the 25th.

Mine also only says label created.

But I also know that our customs can take a damn long time before an item gets cleared, so right now I'm just waiting.

I've heared from more than a few people that he is hard to reach. We had many questions regarding his OpenOBC board, but never got any reply.

IG:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast