Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny ADS Interface - another open source ADS interface

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13

Tiny ADS Interface - another open source ADS interface

Allow me to introduce yet another ADS interface design. This is what resulted when I took the almost free ADS interface design and tried to just make a PCB for it. I had intended to make something which would supersede that one, but instead they each have their own use now. I ended up redoing the design just about from scratch, so this is a completely different interface from the almost free interface.

This design includes an actual PCB layout (I never did one for the almost free interface) and is more suitable for long-term use than a bunch of transistors wired up on a breadboard. It also adds status LEDs and some circuit protection to guard against accidental damage. Also, it's just barely small enough to stuff inside a 20-pin ADS connector for a really clean finished product, if you like that sort of thing. Basically, where the almost free design was a bare minimum design intended for limited use, this one is a full-featured design in the same class as other ADS interfaces including BMW's original design.

So if you liked the idea of building your own interface but you wanted something more durable, you might try building this design. I'm attaching the gerber files and a parts list. You can send the gerbers straight to a PCB manufacturer (like OSH Park) to have boards made. The parts can be ordered from anywhere too, but you should find them all in stock at Mouser.

For the less adventurous, I'm also offering prebuilt interfaces here in case you don't want to build your own. No promises on how long I'll keep making them, but I've just made a batch of them today and if there is sufficient interest I'm prepared to make at least one more batch. Really though the idea is that anyone can come along and download and build the design, so hopefully there will still be ways to get an interface after I've stopped making them.

I've tested the design thoroughly, so you can expect it to function as intended, but of course mistakes do happen so if anyone discovers a flaw please let me know so I can update the design.

All design files, including the schematic and a parts list (BOM), can be found here, but I'm also attaching everything to this post for convenience.

Several attached files have had .txt extensions added so they could be attached - these extensions should be removed after downloading. In retrospect, this is anything but convenient, but I digress...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by benemorius; 03-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Excellent work.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Nice!!
    Definite made some advancements to the design.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Nice! I still use my transistor on perfboard version but may order one because it is so clean and the price is great.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    M3's, CTS-V
    Very nice work!

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I know kinda old But have to give credit to Benemorius! great ads interface and perfect solder connections!

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    I would definitely like to see some testing results from others (both Euro and US) using this design from anyone that has ordered one or built one themselves. I may order one "just because".

My Cars
    BMW E34 M50B20TU
    Hello. Can I ask you to make layout in jpg, please. Because I can `t open PCB layout.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    Why isn't this thread more popular?! Excellent work!
    Logging on to your website to buy the fully assembled unit now.

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by ganj View Post
    Hello. Can I ask you to make layout in jpg, please. Because I can `t open PCB layout.
    I'm sorry I missed this.

The .pcb file will open in gEDA PCB. The .zip file is a collection of gerber files which will open in any gerber viewer, such as gerbv.

Both files can be used to output any layer as jpg, pdf, or whatever you need for your process, but you'll have to use the .pcb file if you want to modify anything before producing the board.

I'll attach pdfs for the top and bottom layers in case that's just the easiest thing to use. The quality will be better than jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    I would definitely like to see some testing results from others (both Euro and US) using this design from anyone that has ordered one or built one themselves. I may order one "just because".
    It's a bit early still, but I've shipped more than 30 assembled boards all over the world so far and I haven't heard any bad news yet. I'm sure the good news is out there and I'll get to hear some of it soon enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    Why isn't this thread more popular?! Excellent work!
    Logging on to your website to buy the fully assembled unit now.
    Thanks! There haven't been many bumps to this thread but I get a steady flow of web traffic from it so we can be sure that search button isn't going unused.

Actually I was completely unprepared for how popular this thing would be in assembled form. I've made many batches now and I'm actually having trouble keeping the things in stock. At this rate, I don't think I'm going to quit making them any time soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 2.0T WRX
    I received my cable within a couple of days of ordering it. I just haven't had time to play with it yet. But I'll be sure to report my findings when I do.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Thanks for the service for the community.
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    1996 328i sedan
    just received mine, excellent quality and great solders, just having trouble making it work with serial expresscard...

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Well I can hardly believe it, but I've just finished assembling and testing my 100th interface.

I really thought things would die down after the initial interest but if anything it's actually going up. I have therefore decided to keep going indefinitely.

I may soon have to re-gear things a bit to make it more convenient to build them in bigger batches, so now would be a good time to hear about any changes that people would like to see. I can't really come up with a reason for a 3rd revision aside from adjusting some silkscreen text and rotating some components to make assembly easier, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I tend not to hear a peep from anyone once they have their interface working so I have to assume that all is well, but it would sure be nice to know if I've overlooked some obvious or not so obvious improvements. I was perfectly content with my first prototype as far as my own use goes so at this point it's really all about what everyone else wants.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    I think I'll be ordering one of these 20 pin cables soon. Just to have for the future. With this cable does it give me the capability to flash my ECU besides doing diagnosis?

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
    I think I'll be ordering one of these 20 pin cables soon. Just to have for the future. With this cable does it give me the capability to flash my ECU besides doing diagnosis?
    I *think* that obd2 e36 ECUs can be flashed over the diagnostic bus, but you'd better find out from someone who knows for sure.

My Cars
    1994 320ise
    Recieved mine today and used it on two cars my 1994 e36 320ise and my sons 1997 E36 316 compact. Worked first time and read all available units.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrandy View Post
    Recieved mine today and used it on two cars my 1994 e36 320ise and my sons 1997 E36 316 compact. Worked first time and read all available units.
    What software did you use this with?

My Cars
    1994 320ise
    I used ediabas 6.4.3 with INPA v4.4.7

My Cars
    '94 325i / s13
    Thanks for the feedback! It certainly does not go unappreciated!

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Placing an order for one now, can anyone give advice on the most cost effective laptop to use that will work hassle free aside from an IBM T30?
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    '97 BMW 332ti
    I used ediabas 6.4.3 with INPA v4.4.7
    I've been trying to figure out how to install this for the longest time :/

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    ENGLISH SETUP.pdf Now you know.

My Cars
    E36 328i
    I've got one of these on order and I'm building a case for it.

How long do you hold down the service reset button for when doing an Oil reset and Insp reset?

I thought I read 3 sec for OIL and 12 for INSP but can't find it anywhere
    Last edited by Dannbodge; 02-28-2014 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    318is M44
    hy is this interface work whit serial port adapter whit dell notebook?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast