Thread: P111F error code

My Cars
    2005 325i

P111F error code

Evening,

I've been lurking through this forum for the past 3 years i've had my e46. Have always used search and google to find the information I need. But despite my searching and trying, havent been able to fix my problem this time.

I got the 'check engine soon' light as I was driving through the mountains like three weeks ago. Took it to o'reilly and got a 'P111F' code. He told me it was a patented BMW code and he didnt know what it meant. Took it to an autozone and same code came up. I thought it was weird because it had a letter in it.

I did some searching and found a code 'P0111' which is the intake air temperature range/performance according to (Well I had posted a link to it but it wont let me post it) (I figured it had to be that one, but I dont know now)

So I replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF. Check engine soon light was still on a week later. Then I replaced the MAF (which has the intake air temperature sensor in it right?) and has been a week now and the light is still on.

In the past when the light has come on and i've fixed the problem it may take a few days of driving to go away, but this one hasnt. I don't know where to go from here and a course, I got in my registration last week and it needs emissions done for the first time since i've owned it.

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Or possibly how much it would cost for the BMW dealership to tell me whats wrong?

My Cars
    1997 and 1999 BMW 528i
    Do you have an aftermarket air intake?

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    It seems to me the DME has an internal temp sensor. Let me see if i can look through old training manuals and find out.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman71 View Post
    Do you have an aftermarket air intake?
    Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    It seems to me the DME has an internal temp sensor. Let me see if i can look through old training manuals and find out.
    I'm not even sure what that is, but thanks!

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    My bad its the barometric sensor that is inside the DME. Did you clear the fault from the system. If not it could take over 50 starts for it to clear itself.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    My bad its the barometric sensor that is inside the DME. Did you clear the fault from the system. If not it could take over 50 starts for it to clear itself.
    I had replaced the MAF sensor. Not the Barometric sensor. From what I was searching and reading, that determines your altitude and is inside the DME? The DME is like the cars computer?

Sorry, I had just never heard of either of these parts before you mentioned it right now.

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Did you clear the fault after the new MAF?

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Did you clear the fault after the new MAF?
    No I have not, usually the codes have cleared themselves in the past, after driving a few days. Can it be cleared with the scanner at o'reilly? Or is a special one needed? I'm just trying to avoid going to the dealership. Expensive and far lol

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    They should be able to clear it. Do that and see if you still have an issue.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Well I went to O'Reilley and the guy said his scanner cant clear codes. He told me to go down the street to an emissions place that charges 49.99.

No thanks, lol.

I just ordered an 'AGT 1.4 Scanner ECU EEprom Scan/Write Diagnostic Tool.' 60 dollars and will have it for future issues. Says it can do a lot of fun stuff. Was looking at this tool a few months ago but didnt have the money then.

So when I get it, ill clear the code and see what happens.

My Cars
    98 M3 Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by e46sirK View Post
    Well I went to O'Reilley and the guy said his scanner cant clear codes. He told me to go down the street to an emissions place that charges 49.99.

No thanks, lol.

I just ordered an 'AGT 1.4 Scanner ECU EEprom Scan/Write Diagnostic Tool.' 60 dollars and will have it for future issues. Says it can do a lot of fun stuff. Was looking at this tool a few months ago but didnt have the money then.

So when I get it, ill clear the code and see what happens.
    all the OReillys I've been to give me their OBDII scanner and i hand them my license when i go check it out.

Sent from my Droid Spyder, probably on 4G.
    '98 ///M 3/2/5 - Cosmos on Dove [SOLD]
    '08 335i Coupe - SGM/Grey | MHD Stage 2 93oct | Apex Arc-8 18x9.5 Black Chrome | Cp-e Charge Pipe | VRSF C****** Downpipes | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AA BOV | DCI | BMS Cabin Filter | Custom-Mounted Nexus 7 infotainment tablet

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yes, "DME" is the engine management computer.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Had the codes
    2F09/A2 - Intake air temperature sensor, plausibility
    27C3/02 - Thermal oil level sensor (had replaced this sensor last week)
    2783/82 - Heated film at air mass measuring sensor
    278C/81 - Temperature sensor intake air
    2882/A1 - Mixture preparation bank1
    2883/A1 - Mixture preparation bank2

I'm assuming the ones in bold all had to do with the MAF. Cleared it friday, was fine all weekend, then this morning on my way to work I got the bottom 2 again through a ' service engine soon' light. Hopefully its just a tear in the intake boot from what i was researching. Had a whole lot of other codes, but since I cleared them all, havent come back.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    I replaced the whole intake boot assembly, cleaned the DISA, ICV and intake. (The intake boot had no tears, but I still replaced it)

Also put a thing of Chevron techron fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

My car is running fine, no rough idle or loss in power while driving.

But after about 20 miles of driving, I still keep getting the 2882, 2883 mixture preparation codes, which has caused me to fail emissions and lose my registration.

The next thing I was thinking about doing was running seafoam through the engine, since its not that expensive like the o2 sensors and fuel pump, which may not even be it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Try changing the outside temp sensor.This sensor compares the air mass sensor with outside temp sensor and if theres a big difference it will trigger this code P111f

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The MAF in your engine measures the mass (not volume) of the incoming air AND the temperature of the incoming air. BMW went to this type of MAF in model year 2003. Previously, the inlet air temperature sensor was in the top of the intake manifold. A bad MAF can cause all sorts of issues.

I’d remove the MAF connector and check the pins and sockets for corrosion. The connector’s sockets can widen up so that the pins don’t make “intimate” contact with the pins. Also, get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. Then go to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru on OBDFusion. The app allows you to check on the operation of the MAF. As the engine is 2.5 liters the MAF should be reporting about 4 grams per second of air flow at idle. You can also check the temperature that the MAF is reporting. It should be very close to the ambient temperature. If the MAF is bad do NOT buy an aftermarket MAF. Buy a MAF made by Siemens/VDO, the supplier to BMW.