Thread: INPA errors in German

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd

INPA errors in German

I've tried installing INPA from several different sources, tried manually updating ECU/CFGDAT/SGDAT files with supposedly English version files, but nothing seems to help. I have the complete INPA interface in English, but when I first enter a module, I get "Language variants do not match. Malfunction possible." and then when I proceed to reading the error memory, the errors come up in German. Any idea?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Functionally the software will work fine, the error is just a language mismatch between CFGDAT and SGDAT files.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
    Yes, it does work fine, what bothers me though is that the error memory readout is in German (attached). Any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    05 M3, 01 Z3M, Jeep ZJ
    subscribed, i got this issue too

Current:
    2001 S54 M-Coupe
    2011 Mini Cooper Countryman S
    94 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L/242 TC (Daily)

Past:

95 325i Convertible/Boston Green
    01 330Ci Convertible/Steel Grey/Stick
    05 Infiniti G35 Premium/Tech

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I need to know exactly which version of INPA you are running and if any files have been updated. The CFGDAT files for the E39 are slightly different in v3.01/4.4.7 from v5.**.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
    I'm running EDIABAS 6.4.7 and INPA 5.0.1 updated to 5.0.2.

I first install BMW Standard Tools 2.3.0 and then run an update Referenz.2005.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The CFGDAT file for the E39 taken from INPA v5.02 is just a copy of the original v3.01 CFGDAT file. I can't post .ENG files, but copy the text from the attached .pdf, open your INPA\CFGDAT\E39.ENG file with Notepad, replace all the text with that which you have copied from the attached file and hit SAVE. (You can keep a copy of your original E39.ENG file on your desktop to make it easier to undo changes later if required).

After you have modded your E39.ENG file as described, hook your car up and let me know if the result is in English. E39,ENG.pdf

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
    I've tried installing INPA from several different sources, tried manually updating ECU/CFGDAT/SGDAT files with supposedly English version files, but nothing seems to help. I have the complete INPA interface in English, but when I first enter a module, I get "Language variants do not match. Malfunction possible." and then when I proceed to reading the error memory, the errors come up in German. Any idea?
    Have a look at this: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1845181

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    The CFGDAT file for the E39 taken from INPA v5.02 is just a copy of the original v3.01 CFGDAT file. I can't post .ENG files, but copy the text from the attached .pdf, open your INPA\CFGDAT\E39.ENG file with Notepad, replace all the text with that which you have copied from the attached file and hit SAVE. (You can keep a copy of your original E39.ENG file on your desktop to make it easier to undo changes later if required).

After you have modded your E39.ENG file as described, hook your car up and let me know if the result is in English.
    Thanks for the file! I checked my installation and found that I don't actually have E39.ENG file, I have BMW_ALT.ENG instead that describes several old models including E39. I compared E39 portion of it to the one you attached and they match exactly... BTW, to get to E39 modules from the interface, I have to press Shift-F9 Old Models and scroll all the way down to get to E39. Since our E39 sections are exactly the same, I guess there is no need to try and make your file work with my installation?

Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    I did see it, I have to admit though that I have not yet had the time to read/comprehend the entire thread, but I did read the beginning where you explain the files that need to be copied (ECU/CFGDAT/SGDAT) and I tried it with files from different sources with no success.
    Last edited by Flug540; 03-01-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
    Yes, it does work fine, what bothers me though is that the error memory readout is in German (attached). Any idea?
    Some versions of INPA present some of the info in German. Just use google translate.

My Cars
    E46 323i, B5 1.8t Wagon
    Bumping this old thread...

Would someone be willing to share which .PRG file INPA/Ediabas uses to read and display errors stored in the dme memory?
    To keep my brain busy I have been converting all of the ms420ds0.ipo german text into english, and now the last conversions for me to do are the error codes.

Would greatly appreciate some insight on this matter.