Thread: Clink and thud when letting the clutch out

My Cars
    Too many to list

Clink and thud when letting the clutch out

I have recently replaced every diff mount, sub-frame mount and bushing, driveshaft, flex disc, etc.

A few thousand miles after doing all of that, I now feel a thud very similar to a bad diff mount (but the mount is solid and has 0 play) accompanied by a metallic clink when letting the clutch out somewhat quickly. When outside of the car, it is verified to be coming from the front. I am having a hard time, without ripping it, apart thinking of what could cause a thud and clink from this area. Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I should focus on?

Thanks all
    Last edited by OutAndBack; 02-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330i, 1993 520i

Lightbulb clunk w/ clutch

Check transmission rubber mounts, engine mounts (excessive shaking) and the bearing/bushing for the driveshaft (if you can shake the driveshaft up and down by hand with cluking replace the mount)

how about the axles coming out the diff? are they in good shape?

What about the rubber donut between tranny output and driveshaft?

But sounds like around the tranny metal mish-mashing after you pull the power off the drive by pressing the clutch,

I have a 520i m50 and my problem was several rubber suspenders for the driveline

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Exhaust pipes banging??
    What car is this?

My Cars
    Too many to list
    it is a 540i/6

Now that you've mentioned exhaust pipes banging, it's really got me thinking because I posted a thread a while back about my exhaust popping off-center even though I've got new engine mounts (and they still check out) and transmission mounts... I never figured out what has caused that as everything is tight and new.

BMW IDFR:

I haven't even considered that driveshaft bushing. I can't comment on it's condition so I will give that a look as well.

Thank you both for the replies. Hopefully I can find some time to find and cure this problem soon. Little noises annoy the **** out of me!

Thanks again!

My Cars
    2004 330i, 1993 520i
    I recall one thing that may help you, just buy a new one anyway
    The insulator for the shift lever (under shifter trim and sponge)
    Mine was worn and its really helpful inkeeping transmission noise to a minimum the innocent clink may very well be a little normal play between the trow out bearing and the pusher, (Fix at next clutch change)