Thread: Average annual cost on a 3 series?

My Cars
    Looking for one.

Average annual cost on a 3 series?

I'm looking to buy a new daily driver and was wondering what the average annual cost of owning an early 2000s 3 series is. I realize that BMW being a luxury vehicle will cost more than my civic to repair, but how much are we talking? Thanks.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    really depends on the car. My CEL (check eng light) has never come on in my car - knock on wood.

my 02 325 (bought in 05/06 with 25k miles) has 85k miles on it. I have done nothing to it except 1 set of control bushings, 2 sets of tires, and just recently did a full tuneup (plugs, coil boots, fuel filter, air filter - replaced due to age) valve cover gasket (had a very slight leak), drive belts (very few dry cracks, replaced due to age), water pump (due to age), t-stat (due to age) and exp tank (due to age). I did this before I took a 800+ mile round trip. I dont drive it everyday either.

Now I am easy on the brakes and dont drive it hard. 1 set of front (replaced at 50k or so) and rear was replaced during CPO inspection at 25k.

I was a BMW tech for 8.5 years. some cars I put control bushing on them every 15-20k miles and brakes every 20k miles. Some cars were in the shop once a mth for something stupid and some we never seen.
    Last edited by 02325; 02-25-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    The biggest question is do you do your own mechanic work or do you pay someone? The cooling system is what I would completely go through first as preventative maintenance.

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    There are several factors: how you drive it, whether you have an automatic, how it was maintainted, how it was treated in the past, what year it is whether you wrench it yourself, and probably a few other things.

If you make sure to get one from someone who has a lot of records, older owner tends to be better, a newer model (2003-2006) probably optimum, have it inspected, and you will probably not spend much more than a civic.

I had a 330 that I sold for almost nothing, due to the reverse going out. Supposedly it isn't that expensive to fix and I wish I had. I bought one and did everything wrong, I knew it had been at least curbed, I didn't have it inspected,and I bought it without records.

There has been an issue with the reverse gears going out on the automatic, it is usually more expensive and more problematic in the ZF Auto, which is on specific cars. If you get a manual, you only have to worry about a clutch every 100k or so. The most expensive thing I had replaced was the a/c, I think the fact that the car had no tinting contributed to that.

The 2001 I had was built in February 2001, I believe, and BMW decided to use smaller front bushings on the control arms and a more boosted power steering. That is why I say you might want to avoid and early built 2001. I really like the later models for things like the shark fin antennae, the bigger screen on the nav, the stronger automatic, and probably a few more things.

The cooling system will probably go out around 150k and you should get it all at once, the price will be around 300 if you do it yourself and 600 if you have it done. Make sure that the engine sounds smooth as silk and you will really enjoy it.

I have seen some good ones on craigslist, but you really should have one checked out. I found a ZHP for under 6 recently.

Some will see what I say as complaining, but all I am saying is that the newer ones were better.
    Last edited by ezbmr; 02-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    87 325is
    If you don't do the work yourself, figure on averaging $1000-1500 in maintenance & repair costs once a car is out of warranty. Cheaper cars will be towards the lower end and a BMW 3-series towards the the upper end.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325 View Post
    really depends on the car. My CEL (check eng light) has never come on in my car - knock on wood.
    Maybe someone plucked out the light?

(That's what happened to my e39 - bastards!)
    2001 BMW 530i e39 / Automatic / Orient on Dove