Thread: Vibration damper

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown

Vibration damper

Has anyone replaced this part? And if you had what type of symptom you experienced?

I think I need to do something with my 97 vibration damper but really not sure which part to order. Here is the link maybe you guys can tell me which part.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=11&fg=18
    Last edited by 16valex; 02-25-2013 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The *usual* failure of a vibration dampener is the bonded rubber frees up and the outer ring starts walking around the inner. I've never ever heard of such a problem on a 6cyl BMW. Indeed, if it did, your engine would quit running, as the crank trigger is on the outer diameter.

Your link doesn't work (firefox?), but it should be item #1.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    I get a 404 when I click that link

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The *usual* failure of a vibration dampener is the bonded rubber frees up and the outer ring starts walking around the inner. I've never ever heard of such a problem on a 6cyl BMW. Indeed, if it did, your engine would quit running, as the crank trigger is on the outer diameter.

Your link doesn't work (firefox?), but it should be item #1.
    Thanks for chiming Randy. I'm not 100% sure but here is my symptom during a cold start.

I would hear a tapping noise but I swear it is not metal to metal, if I raise the RPM up the tapping will dis-appear. This type of noise reminded me one time I started my boat on the driveway, and when I put the boat in drive I would hear this tapping noise, I was scared at first but later on I learned it was the prop trying to catch up and because there was no water to resist, the inertia momentum caused the rhythmic tapping from the propeller.

My harmonic balance is not completely broke but I think the rubber insulator is stretched and caused the tapping I'm hearing.

Oh, thanks for the Linky broken heads up. It's Google Chrome I'm using.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Sorry Alex, I had OBDi on the brain. Your car doesn't use the dampener has the crank trigger like the older cars did.

You might use a paint marker to draw a witness line across the pulley, rubber, and outer ring. Then monitor it to see if it walks.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Item 1 is the damper, a two-piece device with a thin rubber insulator between the pieces. If it has failed, I would not expect the noise to go away when warm, since both pieces are iron, and expand at the same rate.

Might be time to buy a Harbor Freight stethoscope.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Sorry Alex, I had OBDi on the brain. Your car doesn't use the dampener has the crank trigger like the older cars did.

You might use a paint marker to draw a witness line across the pulley, rubber, and outer ring. Then monitor it to see if it walks.
    That's alright. We're all have a senior moment every now and then.
    But that's a good idea with the paint across both pulleys.

Item 1 is the damper, a two-piece device with a thin rubber insulator between the pieces. If it has failed, I would not expect the noise to go away when warm, since both pieces are iron, and expand at the same rate.

Might be time to buy a Harbor Freight stethoscope.
    When it's warm you can still hear a fainted tapping noise but you have to listen very hard to hear it. The reason it changes to the better could be the RPM drops or the rubber insulator becomes more elastic.

I have one of those Chinafreight stethoscope but it's kind of dangerous to stick it down there with all the moving parts.

Man, the price for the harmonic balancer is pretty steep. The lowest I can find is $421. I think I'm going to try a used one this time.
    Last edited by 16valex; 02-26-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    I'm about to get down to business.
    Found a very good used harmonic balancer
    Hope I can crack the center bolt to remove the HB.
    Stay tune for update.

I've never ever heard of such a problem on a 6cyl BMW
    Once again, you're correct Randy. I got a good look at it today, it looked fine. I'm just going to button up.

But guess what? Found the culprit of antifreeze smell so it was not totally waste of time.
    Last edited by 16valex; 03-04-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    so you hear rpm related tapping noises and you immediately think its failure of harmonic dampener? i dont know it just seems kinda like you are jumping the gun. i could be wrong but maybe you should narrow down the source of the noise abit more.
    2001 540i 6speed metallic silver

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by mifesto View Post
    so you hear rpm related tapping noises and you immediately think its failure of harmonic dampener? i dont know it just seems kinda like you are jumping the gun. i could be wrong but maybe you should narrow down the source of the noise abit more.
    I've been paying attention to this tapping for as least 3 years, the tapping is not typical valve tapping, it's kind of none metalic, sometime it sounds like a diesel when the temp is below 10F, other times it sounds like exhaust leak. Very hard to pin point down, you can hear from all around the car, but when you open the hood it's all over the place. It's a good thing I'm not obsessed otherwise it will drive me crazy.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    I've been paying attention to this tapping for as least 3 years, the tapping is not typical valve tapping, it's kind of none metalic, sometime it sounds like a diesel when the temp is below 10F, other times it sounds like exhaust leak. Very hard to pin point down, you can hear from all around the car, but when you open the hood it's all over the place. It's a good thing I'm not obsessed otherwise it will drive me crazy.
    I realize this thread is old but it precisely describes the issue I'm having. 16valex, how did you resolve this issue? Did you change the vibration damper?

Thanks!
    Last edited by E39Only; 04-16-2019 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I doubt very much if his issue was the dampener.
    What I suspect he was hearing is piston slap.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Quote Originally Posted by E39Only View Post
    I realize this thread is old but it precisely describes the issue I'm having. 16valex, how did you resolve this issue? Did you change the vibration damper?

Thanks!
    No, I never replaced the damper. I since gave the car to my daughter, it has 250K miles and stil counting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I doubt very much if his issue was the dampener.
    What I suspect he was hearing is piston slap.
    Ross, you maybe on to something.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    The metallic rattle I get is loud and only happens when the vehicle is on a hill facing up and only when taking off. It never happens when the car is facing down hill or on a flat surface. I've had the vehicle running on a lift and there's no rattling whatsoever. I have literally checked everything, banged on everything under the car. I can't reproduce the rattle. I've been on the hunt for three years with no success.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    id give thought to one of the other rotational pieces on the front of the engine (fan clutch, pulleys) as it seems as angle of attack makes a difference, as well as your motor/trans mounts.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Timing chain tensioner? Cheap and easy replacement spring and sealing ring on the I6
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    id give thought to one of the other rotational pieces on the front of the engine (fan clutch, pulleys) as it seems as angle of attack makes a difference, as well as your motor/trans mounts.
    Thank you Mattmar1.....you may have hit the nail on the head, listen to this ….

https://youtu.be/mK88qsYpDK8

And in the process of investigating, found the source of my mysterious coolant loss!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by E39Only; 04-21-2019 at 02:34 AM.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    were you tweaking the belt a tad during that video? methinks you discovered sumpin there.