Thread: Touring rear glass replacement?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46

Touring rear glass replacement?

How hard is it? I think I read that the spoiler is glued on..? What are the chances of damaging the spoiler?

The deal is only about 1/3rd of my rear defroster works, and it would be worth the price of a new glass to fix it, but not if it's a major biatch to replace, or if it's going to damage my euro rear spoiler.

I already looked for breaks in the defroster that could be fixed and I can't find anything.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    If you pull a window from a yard I can't imagine it being very much. Buying new from a dealer on the other hand may be.

Check realoem.com. It should have a price for you.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I already know the new price. What I don't know is the difficulty of replacing it.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I already know the new price. What I don't know is the difficulty of replacing it.
    Oh I apologize. Read the post wrong

I've looked into replacing mine and if I remember correctly there are only 4 bolts, two shock bolts and a wire for the third brake light and defroster to remove. Should be pretty easy with a pair of hands helping you.

As for the spoiler I have no idea. I'd imagine it would be difficult to remove and possible to damage the glass.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530i Touring
    Every thread I have seen the spoiler was destroyed in the process because of the glue

But one guy did manage to get it off without breaking it

My Cars
    Scrap
    My spoiler is so screwed. I can never open the junkyard cars because of the lack of power.

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    You want one with the spoiler on it. Be better with the integrated light bar for yours anyway as you got some 1990's third brake light accessory when yours was Fed'd

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by sse34 View Post
    Every thread I have seen the spoiler was destroyed in the process because of the glue

But one guy did manage to get it off without breaking it
    I think it would be less an issue if the glass were sacrificial. A used glass ought to already have the spoiler, no?

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i View Post
    My spoiler is so screwed. I can never open the junkyard cars because of the lack of power.
    i took two 6v flashlight batteries (those big bricklike ones) and wired them in series with a pigtail off of it. gives me 12v thats portable. i even use it in the garage to test 12v things.

when i grabbed the glass that is currently on the car, i just ripped the tool kit off from the inside and pulled on the lever to open the hatch. i made the battery for this job and jumped the connector for the glass latch

the problem after that is that the thrid light wiring has no plug disconnect (that i could find at least), so you have to snip it as far back as you can and then solder it onto your current harness. same goes for the defroster wiring (unless you want to solder wires to the glass like the factory)

Layne, youre in a specific spot where you dont have a third light, and anything you find at the junkyard will. I would leave it alone if i were i were you. I tried getting the spoiler off of the old glass i had for shits and i RUINED the spoiler. Its on there with a couple special nuts, and then stuck to the glass with a long strip across. i wouldnt chance it.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 02-25-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    OK, I guess this is a no-go. A new spoiler more than doubles the cost. It's not worth $400-500 to have a working defroster.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540 M-Sport
    Layne - What's the last 7 of your VIN. I can look up the process for you in TIS, if it's there.
    1995 540 M-Sport Cosmos Schwarz on Parchment w/ (Open) 3.15 LSD - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805972

Current Status : I SOLD HATE MEH... LOVE my car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    How hard is it? I think I read that the spoiler is glued on..? What are the chances of damaging the spoiler?

The deal is only about 1/3rd of my rear defroster works, and it would be worth the price of a new glass to fix it, but not if it's a major biatch to replace, or if it's going to damage my euro rear spoiler.

I already looked for breaks in the defroster that could be fixed and I can't find anything.
    Not too much of a pita but requires a little work if you don't want to break anything. Check my post in the 4 sale selling a glass if you decide to change it.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by shaytanabyad View Post
    Layne - What's the last 7 of your VIN. I can look up the process for you in TIS, if it's there.
    GF65231

Thanks

My Cars
    Too Many
    I've got two touring windows with the spoilers still on them in KC. You're welcome to either one or both of them if you have a way of getting them. They're in the basement of my house there.

My Cars
    E34 & E39
    Quote Originally Posted by HE53 View Post
    I've got two touring windows with the spoilers still on them in KC. You're welcome to either one or both of them if you have a way of getting them. They're in the basement of my house there.
    Are the third brake light screws rusted to oblivion in either?

My Cars
    95 S50 525T;85 QTR til 8
    The spoiler will be the rub since you are wanting to retain the Euro spoiler without the CHMSL. Otherwise it would be a breeze.

1989 635CSi Alpinewieß
    1989 325iC Alpineweiß II
    1985 745i Cosmosblau / Pacificblau cloth
    1995 525iT S50 / 5 speed Alpineweiß III
    1985 635i Cosmosblau
    1998.5 M3 Technoviolent
    1990 325iC
    1999 528i

My Cars
    Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by TouringGuy View Post

Are the third brake light screws rusted to oblivion in either?
    Probably but just use a easy out or drill bit to get them out. It's been 2 years since I looked at them to be honest.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    i bought a complete rear glass hatch from a wrecking yard, basically wanted the light. Took the whole thing apart, came apart without issues. So i have the glass, spoiler and light. Replaced the light, but it turned out it was my hatch harness (did this before i searched the forums quite a while back).

The spoiler was held on by a couple of screws and some adhesive. I used a heat gun to warm it up and it peeled apart without any issues.

So i've got glass, a good spoiler and a working light if anyone is looking for parts.
    Mike
    93 M5 3.8 Sterling Silver/Black (euro)
    94 M5 Touring Madeiraschwarz/Black
    80 745i (project)
    83 735i / 5 speed (euro)
    86 745i

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540 M-Sport
    These might help and they might not. Thought it'd be worth posting them, though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1995 540 M-Sport Cosmos Schwarz on Parchment w/ (Open) 3.15 LSD - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1805972

Current Status : I SOLD HATE MEH... LOVE my car.

My Cars
    E30 Wagon/ E46 330ci
    Do you still have these glorious windows? Recently bought custom shootingbrake e30, that was brought over from poland and the shop that was was doing rust repair busted the window.