Thread: looking for a good write-up on valve cover gasket change

My Cars
    06 GTI 2.0t, 00GTI VR6

looking for a good write-up on valve cover gasket change

for a '92 325i
    part number's and a price range would be helpfull

My Cars
    '96 318ti, '15 Focus ST
    thats funny. i accidentally ripped my valve cover gasket this past saturday.
    BMWMOFO C6MPACT

My Cars
    M44s
    I just did mine this pstt wkend. take off the valve cover. look at those pretty cams! clean surfaces good w/ brake cleaner and a rag(obviously spray on the rag then wipe). Also make sure no oil is in the lip where the gasket will sit. on my four banger there is a circular seal for each cylinder, but i dont think the m50 is like this. Also be absolutely certain of the right way to put that sucker on there. Get some gasket sealer stuff and rub this on the valve cover, and place the gasket in there nicely. Now apply more smelly stuff to the clean side of the gasket, i forgot what its called but its black smells funny and helps seal everything nicely. Inspect the gasket for any lips or flaps that may need to sit a certain way on the head. Now get a buddy and very carefully place the valve cover back on the head. HAND SCREW THE VALVE COVER BOLTS before wrenching. Now have a beer and let it set for a few.

Anytime something is taken off your car, clean fookin great inspect it for cracks and keep it looking nice!

Or you can ignore my rambling and check this out > http://home.earthlink.net/~frankie66...alvecover.html

My Cars
    '96 318ti, '15 Focus ST
    yea i wasnt so careful and tore one of the half moons on the gasket. not hard at all to replace though.
    BMWMOFO C6MPACT

My Cars
    06 GTI 2.0t, 00GTI VR6
    is there any thing to do to the plug wells? or is that part of the gasket, understand what im talking about??
    i mean ... last time that i replaced the spark plugs there was oil down in a few of the Spark plug wells is that part of the gasket? that gets replaced?

My Cars
    '93 325i Alpinweiß II
    there are two seperate gaskets for the wells, but they come w/ the valve cover gasket (its a set). Its not that hard, just make sure you get the tabs on the gasket at the back of the valve cover to set where they're supposed to. Also be sure the spark plug well gaskets go on the right side up. Remember to remove your crank case vent hose (near the front of the cover) before you try removing the valve cover and you may want new grommets for the vavle cover bolts. (15 of em i think) The wires going to the coils are a pain, they dont bend and you may have to do some improvising to get them out of the way.

Do all M50s have that cover over the intake cam? Mine did, i forget what it said but it started w/ an E.