BAVToys

Thread: Upgrade low beams on the E38?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si

Thumbs up Upgrade low beams on the E38?

I have a 99 740i Sport with the Xenons (facelift)

One of my bulbs burnt out and I just bought some Philips 85122+ 4300K for my car. I want to upgrade the ballasts and I am trying to fully understand what I'm doing here

1) Is it OK to just plug in a new 55W ballast and call it good? Would I have any concerns in the stock wiring? Can the stock wiring take an uprated ballast and not burn out? WOuld I need a higher fuse than stock?
    I don't believe the E38 has fuses for the wiring. It's just a LCM...but I could be wrong though. I don't have my E38 with me this weeked

2) I haven't done too much research but my initial findings tell me just an uprated ballast will wash out the color of the bulb to a lower temperature rating. Would my 4300K bulb then be at about 3000K? Would I actually have any benefit then? I understand a lower than 4300K color temp gives me lower lumens than 4300K (as well as anything higher than that)

Brutus the Ballerina and I appreciate the help!

thanks
    -Rich-

My Cars
    '03 540i M-sport
    55watt ballasts would wash out the bulbs color temp but I doubt 4300k bulbs would look anything near 3k.

I believe the stock harness is plenty. Otherwise you'd have to run a relay harness. Are your lenses clear or weathered/ yellowed? Mine were pitted and after renewing with sand paper and polish the output is satisfactory.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Calicoastin View Post

I believe the stock harness is plenty. Otherwise you'd have to run a relay harness. Are your lenses clear or weathered/ yellowed? Mine were pitted and after renewing with sand paper and polish the output is satisfactory.
    that's a good idea. What grit sandpaper did you go with?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    '03 540i M-sport
    I believe it was 600, then 1200, and 2000. After these I used the 3000 grit disc from the 3M kit then followed by polishing compound. Using paper instead of the disc is safer and more effective IMO. I used the 3m kit and the results weren't as good as with the paper method I used. Don't use too much pressure otherwise you'll create deep scratches.