Thread: Interior Lights Not Working - Not GM?

My Cars
    e39, e53, e12

Interior Lights Not Working - Not GM?

Thanks to you all, I corrected many issues the new girl had with a GM repair. The interior lights however are not coming on; none of them. The trunk light and engine bay light now come on...nothing inside.

Is this another issue? If so, can anyone tell me how to repair?

Appreciate it!

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Flip the dome light switch to the forward position?
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    e39, e53, e12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    Flip the dome light switch to the forward position?
    Still nothing Wuffer...thanks for suggestion.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    e39, e53, e12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Have you tried replacing Fuse # 18 with a 7.5 Amp or 10 Amp fuse?
    I'll peek at it. When I was replacing the GM, The LKM is above it correct? It seems the over zealous child that owned it prior to me and who allowed the 7-11 crew to install car stereo might have chopped tiny wires to LKM? They look spliced back in but possibly not back to the correct color match.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by SHEBUILT View Post
    When I was replacing the GM, The LKM is above it correct? It seems the over zealous child that owned it prior to me and who allowed the 7-11 crew to install car stereo might have chopped tiny wires to LKM? They look spliced back in but possibly not back to the correct color match.
    The interior lights are controlled by the A1 general module (GM), not the A3 lamp control module (LKM). You had the GM already refurbished, so let's ignore that for now...

The dome light switches have three positions: Automatic mode (forward), interior lights off (center) and interior lights on (backward). For normal operation the switches should be set to the forward position (automatic mode), but can you check whether the interior lights can be switched on manually (backward position)?

If manual mode works, you might be looking at a faulty K29 interior light relay.

If manual mode does not work either, perform following steps to isolate the faulty component:
    1. Try the driver side front power window. If it doesn't work --> Probably blown fuse F33 in the rear power distribution box.
    2. If the above is okay, open the trunk lid. Do the luggage compartment lights come on? If not --> Probably bad K72 consumer cut-off relay in the rear power distribution box. Switch both green relays in the rear power distribution box and check whether the luggage compartment lights now work. If yes, K72 is confirmed to be bad. If not the A5 relay module (RM) may be faulty.
    3. If the above is okay, open the glove box. Does the glove box light come on? If not --> Bad K73 consumer cut-off relay in the rear power distribution box.
    4. If the above is okay --> Broken dome light or bad wiring to the dome light.

My Cars
    2006 bmw530xi
    Hi,
    were you able to figure out what is wrong with your lights?

revtor,
    my dome light and rear interior lights do not work, yet trunk and glove box lights do turn on with open doors. Any idea what could be wrong..

thanks!

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolategonzo View Post
    my dome light and rear interior lights do not work, yet trunk and glove box lights do turn on with open doors. Any idea what could be wrong..
    We are talking about the E31 8 Series, right? Your profile says E60 5 Series...

In your private message you wrote both map reading lights work in manual mode but you didn't mention what happens in automatic mode... Do the map reading lights work in automatic mode?

Am I correct that the middle overhead, C-pillar and footwell lights do not work in both manual and automatic mode?

My Cars
    E31/E32 VWs Tesla
    FYI--
    The switches in the dome lights fail with time. I have since grabbed a pair of spares from the junk yard, but several of mine are damaged. (E31, E32, E34 are the same IIRC). In automatic mode, sometimes you have to hold it just right for the lights to come on. In my E34, I shoved a piece of a toothpick into the switch to hold it in the right position. In my E32, one of my map light switches is bad. One of these days I will disassemble and fix them all properly.

'89 735i, '91 850i, '81 MB 380SLC (For Sale), Tesla Model 3, and VW Passat TDI -- Yes, I still repair General Modules, DM for info!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I had the same problem.

My Cars
    2006 bmw530xi

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    We are talking about the E31 8 Series, right? Your profile says E60 5 Series...

In your private message you wrote both map reading lights work in manual mode but you didn't mention what happens in automatic mode... Do the map reading lights work in automatic mode?

Am I correct that the middle overhead, C-pillar and footwell lights do not work in both manual and automatic mode?
    Revtor,
    thanks for your reply. I am talking about a e60 5 series. I thought maybe if I could understand why the automatic/dome lights are not working, it might be the same issue.

yes, the reading lights work in manual mode, but the middle overhead, c pillar, and footwell lights do not work in either manual or automatic mode. The glovebox and trunk lights still work in automatic though. Just wondering if you have any thoughts on what it could be and what I should have my Indy shop look into.

Many thanks for any input!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    If the dome light switches are same/similar on the E31 as on E34 and E32, I have here some pics how to repair the switch http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1245379
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2006 525i

Intieror lighting, trunk open buttons and rear door locks.

Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    The interior lights are controlled by the A1 general module (GM), not the A3 lamp control module (LKM). You had the GM already refurbished, so let's ignore that for now...

The dome light switches have three positions: Automatic mode (forward), interior lights off (center) and interior lights on (backward). For normal operation the switches should be set to the forward position (automatic mode), but can you check whether the interior lights can be switched on manually (backward position)?

If manual mode works, you might be looking at a faulty K29 interior light relay.

If manual mode does not work either, perform following steps to isolate the faulty component:
    1. Try the driver side front power window. If it doesn't work --> Probably blown fuse F33 in the rear power distribution box.
    2. If the above is okay, open the trunk lid. Do the luggage compartment lights come on? If not --> Probably bad K72 consumer cut-off relay in the rear power distribution box. Switch both green relays in the rear power distribution box and check whether the luggage compartment lights now work. If yes, K72 is confirmed to be bad. If not the A5 relay module (RM) may be faulty.
    3. If the above is okay, open the glove box. Does the glove box light come on? If not --> Bad K73 consumer cut-off relay in the rear power distribution box.
    4. If the above is okay --> Broken dome light or bad wiring to the dome light.
    Would any of these Kxx relays cause the interior spot\reading lights, glove box and trunk lights to only work with the car turned off? They work fine and so do the trunk and glove box lights UNTIL the ignition is turned to the on\run position. Then nothing...But the dome lights and all other lights still work as usual.
    Also, wondering if these could have any impact on the rear door locks and the trunk buttons (all 3 buttons, driverside, soft trunk button, and key button) no longer functioning? I can hear the relay switching for the trunk when the buttons are pressed. I only ask in this lighting thread because all of these started last week. I'm almost sure they started at the same time, but I noticed them a couple days apart.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Wrong forum sir.... my E31 only has 2 doors! 8-)
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    5x 6cyl Verts, V8 & V12

GM capacitors replaced. Interior lights not working. Replace both K72 & K73 Relays

Quote Originally Posted by SHEBUILT View Post
    Thanks to you all, I corrected many issues the new girl had with a GM repair. The interior lights however are not coming on; none of them. The trunk light and engine bay light now come on...nothing inside.

Is this another issue? If so, can anyone tell me how to repair?

Appreciate it!

Yep we had exactly the same issue.
    Replaced 2x Relays in the trunk: Green K72 and K73 (OEM 61 36 8 353 447 / Siemens V23134-N52-X171)
    Can pull Siemens ones out of e36, just check numbers next to the pins are the same underneath.