Thread: Getrag S6S 420G Gearbox Oil types.

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i

Getrag S6S 420G Gearbox Oil types.

I know there is some debate about the right oil for the Getrag S6S 420G gearbox found on the Euro M3 and the E39 M5. The M5 uses only MTF-LT-2. This is a BMW lifetime fluid and there doesn't seem to be any substitute.

According to RealOEM the M3 (S50 B32) can have an "MTF-LT-2" sticker or an "ATF-OIL !" sticker. I don't know if that relates to early and late gearboxes but I assume the bushes and/or synchros would have to be different. Does anyone know the difference between the two gearboxes?

My gearbox has the Orange ATF sticker. When I bought the car it wasn't shifting too well and I replaced the fluid with Shell Dextron III ATF. I am now wondering if it needed to be some special version of Dexron II. (Dextron III has superseded and should cover all Dextron II applications I believe).

I thought about getting BMW to do an oil change to ensure it has the right stuff but they want $400 for that here in Sydney and I only just put the DIII fluid in it. I want to get it right but I don't want to spend $400 unless I absolutely have to. I would like to know if off-the-shelf DIII fluid will work in an S6S 420G gearbox with an orange ATF label. Can anyone help please?

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    $400 for an outdated ATF?

I use Redline high performance ATF and the tranny loves it! This is the same stuff that e36 m3 owners have recommended all along. Do yourself a favour, buy 2L of the stuff and do it yourself. Total cost: $15. Total satisfaction: 1,000,000. Really, I never thought tranny oil could make a difference in the feel of each shift, I was proven wrong.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    BMW m3 evo
    I'm running Royal Purple Synchromax in mine, came recommended from a few forums. Definite improvement in shift feel after the change

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    Thanks for the tips guys. Maybe I should change it again.

I still see a lot written about the wrong fluid damaging the transmission pretty quickly. Does this only apply to boxes the the lifetime lubricant label (MTF-LT-2)?

Are the Redline and RP Synchromax fluids a similar viscosity to standard Dextron II, III ?

I am also about to replace all of the selector plungers and springs as these a common wear item on our boxes that cause the shift to get notchy.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    The recommended fluid from BMW is generally regarded as inadequate, with the RP and Redline ATFs providing a significant improvement in wear and feel. Not sure about the relative viscosities of the fluids though.

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    The recommended fluid from BMW is generally regarded as inadequate, with the RP and Redline ATFs providing a significant improvement in wear and feel. Not sure about the relative viscosities of the fluids though.
    There is a lot of confusing info on this subject but it seems that for your ZF 5 speed box (I presume it is, being a S50 B30) both these ATFs are well respected. There is a question about an additive in the redline attacking some internals of the Getrag 6 speed gearboxes. Most of these reports come from Nissan Skyline owners. They have a different Getrag 6 speed box. It does appear that Redline may not have tested with the S6S 420G gearbox in the Euro 3.2L M3. There is a lot of debate about using aftermarket oils in the M5, which should be the same internally as the M3 6 speed.

It looks like the only BMW recommended Dextron II fluid I can find is Mobil ATF 220. As you say, this might be old tech. My big issue is being certain that I don't use anything that has any chance of damaging an expensive gearbox that has no parts available for it. It is simply not worth the risk. Having said that, I think RP Synchromax seems to have no negative reports with the 6 speed box and probably has improved wear characteristics and other benefits over the original DII fluids. Interestingly, The BMW TIS lists 90 oils that have been tested as OK with Orange (ATF) labelled transmissions. As I mentioned before, most of these are not available anymore because they have been superseded by Dextron III fluids. Unfortunately it seems the frictional characteristics changed in the process. You would be guessing at how most of the equivalents affected the shifting of the gearbox. For me it comes down to Mobil ATF 220 (BMW approved for this gearbox) or Royal Purple Synchromax.

I have a ZF 5 speed gearbox in my 328i. I would love to get the Getrag 6 speed working as smoothly as that gearbox. I think, from a reliability point of view, you have the better box on your car.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Correct, the Dexron II is no longer manufactured, and if memory serves, neither is III. I actually have the RP in my car, I couldn't find the redline stuff when I was in the market and the RP came highly recommended to me by a bunch of guys in the UK, who use it almost religiously.

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    I put in a detailed reply but the reply screen ate it.

After a lot of research I am going with Castrol Transmax Z. The specs are very similar to RP Synchromax. I would be happy with that too but I do like the idea that Getrag employees like it as it has no additives that can hurt the S6S 420G. It is also popular whith Supra and Nissan GT-R users, who also have Getrag 6 speed gearboxes. Castrol also have a very big racing and testing program.

Interestingly, when I picked it up I found Dextron II and III on the shelf and Dextron II from a couple of other companies. I thought DII was long gone. Schmiedmann in Denmark are an authorised BMW dealer. They looked up the 6 speed M3 and gearboxes with the orange ATF label get Castrol Dex III ATF.

I am now waiting for better weather as I have to change it in the driveway. I'll report what it feels like after the change. I did the shift linkage a couple of months ago. that helped a lot but I know it could be less notchy. I will be changing the indent plungers and springs when the parts arrive.
    Last edited by chriscotech; 02-24-2013 at 06:20 AM.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Interested to hear your impressions!

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    OK, I switched the fluids and the gearbox feels immediately lighter. It is not as effortless as my 5 speed ZF but getting there. It is not an enormous difference either but definitely noticable. I really think the last of the notchiness is in the selector rod indent ball bearings (which I will be changing to the updated plungers). If that doesn't make it any better it is still chalk and cheese to the shift it had when I bought the car. Of the difference I have got so far I would say 70% was from replacing the badly worn shift linkage parts (everything, from the box to the gear knob) and 30% was from the oil change. It was occasionally jumping out of first gear. It is unlikely to do that now. It will be a couple of weeks before I do the indent plungers as I am off to San Diego.

The fluid that was in it was Valvoline Dextron III. I was given the information that any Dextron III would be fine and that was on the shelf in front of me. It had only been in for about 1,000 kms. I have found from my reading that Most Dextron II and III fluids are "certified" but you definitely get a better shift with a synthetic like Transmax Z and, from what I read, Royal Purple too. I will be interested to see how it goes over time.

The other thing I noticed is that the shift is the same when the oil is cold as it is when it is hot (not that there's a big range during the Australian summer). The Valvoline needed time to loosen up and was still stiffer at its best.

The one I ruled out for the Getrag 6 speed was Redline. It doesn't mean it is a bad lubricant but there seem to be a lot of cases where an additive in this particular MTF oil over-swells a bush that a selector shaft goes through and locks up the gearbox. That may or may not be true but on a "non-rebuildable" gearbox I won't take the chance.

I am more than happy with the result so far.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Great write up! Thanks for the well thought out opinions. Will you be sticking with this fluid from now on? Would you recommend it for the 5 speed ZFs?

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    If nothing weird happens or somebody warns me otherwise, I will definitely be sticking with it.

I'll let you know about the 5 speed ZF. It came in a 4L container for $76.50 here. The other half is going in my 328is. It will probably have to wait until I am back from the US in 3 weeks though.

My Cars
    1987 325ic and 1995 540i
    Can we put lucas atf conditioner into the 420g?

My Cars
    BMW 318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscotech View Post
    If nothing weird happens or somebody warns me otherwise, I will definitely be sticking with it.

I'll let you know about the 5 speed ZF. It came in a 4L container for $76.50 here. The other half is going in my 328is. It will probably have to wait until I am back from the US in 3 weeks though.
    I'm sorry to revive an old topic, but how did it go further on? Did the transmax z stick to the job, no issues in the long run?

I'm looking for an oil for my 540i 420g. It has the mtf ltII sticker on it though