Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e83 x3 random high beam and turn signal blinker problem

mckchr67 is offline we eat smart, bacon smart BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    Gutted e34

e83 x3 random high beam and turn signal blinker problem

Flash to pass, HID bi-xenon high beam and turn signal randomly activating on our e83-2008 x3 at 98,000 miles with warranty soon expiring. It has always had the standard turn signal coding so I think it might be the turn signal stalk causing the issue.

Both HID headlight housings were replaced with oem 60k ago.
    Recently replaced the battery.
    No water where it shouldn't be.
    It is 26* outside... semi cold

I have tried searching the webz to find a answer or a remedy since we have another half hour till we get home so we are running the back roads so we don't look like fools flashing people every couple miles. From what I have seen from searching it could either be the stalk aka Combination Switch - Turn Signal/Dimmer/OnBoard Computer Function or something to do with the light control module LCM.

It will be going to the dealer this week since it is still under warranty, and I will follow up with what they determine is causing the random light malfunction.
    Chris

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Turned out the random high beam and turn signal problems when going over a bump or turning the steering wheel were the cause of a failed light control module, LCM.
    Chris

My Cars
    2007 X3, 2008 Civic 4dr
    interesting, thx for following up.

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    More info... After waiting a couple days for a new light control module to come in, the dealer installed it and it didn't fully correct the problem. The service adviser seemed stumped and didn't have much info when I called. So they are still trying to diagnose the issue and they will follow up tomorrow. In the mean time my wife is enjoying driving the loaner, a loaded 2013 328i xdrive with the twin powered 4 cylinder. More updates on the X3 light issue to come....
    Chris

My Cars
    318ti x2, 85 944, 99 540
    its the front ride height level sensor, weve replaced 3 of them in the past month with the exact problem you are describing, they short out the lcm when they short internally

My Cars
    '04 E46 330xi & '08 E83
    Quote Originally Posted by minicoop900 View Post
    its the front ride height level sensor, weve replaced 3 of them in the past month with the exact problem you are describing, they short out the lcm when they short internally
    This. Exactly what BMW told me when I had this situation.

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Quote Originally Posted by minicoop900 View Post
    Yep that is what happened. On the e83 x3, they replaced 61353451624 - light module, shown as x3 specific pn, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=61353451624 , and 37146784697 - level sensor, shown as multiple model pn, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=37146784697

Other areas that they looked at but found nothing wrong were the instrument cluster, turn signal indicator/headlight dimmer.

Hopefully this helps people out of warranty that don't want to pay dealer costs.
    Chris

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    I own a 2007 X3 and have experienced the same problem with my dash lighting. It's paid off & out of warranty. The dealer replaced the LCM & my exterior lights started flashing about 30 minutes after leaving the dealership while the vehicle was parked. I called them & drove back. They have no idea why my lights have a mind of their own. When I suggested the front ride height level sensor, they brushed me off, saying they had ordered a lighting control switch. Not sure what that is, but I hear a loud sucking sound coming from our bank account.
    Quote Originally Posted by mckchr67 View Post
    More info... After waiting a couple days for a new light control module to come in, the dealer installed it and it didn't fully correct the problem. The service adviser seemed stumped and didn't have much info when I called. So they are still trying to diagnose the issue and they will follow up tomorrow. In the mean time my wife is enjoying driving the loaner, a loaded 2013 328i xdrive with the twin powered 4 cylinder. More updates on the X3 light issue to come....

My Cars
    2008 BMW X3
    I own 2008 x3. I had the exact same issue. My dash lights were flickering like an electrical short. The turn signals and bright lights would randomly turn on and remain. The garage replaced the alternator but this did nothing. I found this forum and asked them to replace the front ride height level sensor, and problem solved. Have not had issue since. Cost was $180 incl tax. This is my first post and wanted to reply as it helped me avoid additional exploratory costs.

My Cars
    BMW E83 X3
    Does anyone have the procedure on how to change the height level sensor?

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    I don't have a DIY for it and haven't really looked around, but from the part link to realoem above... It list all the cars that utilize the part. I'm sure the e46 or other folks have had the issue and might have a DIY to reference. The actual part on the e83 x3's is on the lower front suspension on the passenger side if I recall from when I changed the brakes seeing it being accessible. The part schematic itself can be found here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=31&fg=05
    Chris

My Cars
    2008 bmw x3
    hello, I want to thank you all for the great information you have provided I had the same issue on my 2008 x3 and went out and got it inspected by few people and they were all lost so finally when I read your posts here so I basically took out the plug off the sensor which was on the right side of my vehicle and not the left and things were back to normal, until now I have not replaced it and just have the plug out and its all ok, I found the part for $45 but not original and the original part was $95. if anyone need to know how to replace the part its quite simple just find out where your sensor is first and then you will know what to do as its only one screw and one plug...

My Cars
    97 Z3 1.9, 10 X3, 11 335
    When the front ride height sensor is replaced, does the light control module need to be replaced as well?

My Cars
    03 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffp1018 View Post
    When the front ride height sensor is replaced, does the light control module need to be replaced as well?
    No it does not. Bolt it up, plug it in, and you are good to go.

My Cars
    2009 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffp1018 View Post
    Rotary is correct - had the same issue. Thank goodness for this forum or we'd still be looking for the problem. I copied and pasted the info here and sent to my mechanic (that AM my light panel was acting up - drove to work with left signal flashing & high beam dash light stuck on etc. - people honking at me all the way - quite a scene) So I get to my mechanic - lifts up the front passenger side of the vehicle with a jack - turns the wheels as if the vehicle were making a full left turn. behind the front right wheel is where the level sensor is located (I stood and watched the full procedure) He used a pair of needle nose pliers to wiggle the plug from the top of the sensor - my new sensor was not in yet so he bagged the plug (wrapped it in plastic) and zip tied it out of the way on to a stationary part of the vehicle - until the part arrives next week. 20 minutes start to finish - everything back to normal no LCM (light control module )required. Thanks again to all here - saved me hundreds of $$ and loss of my vehicle for a day or more I'm sure.

My Cars
    X3 2010
    Hi, to everyone and thanks for this update. I had same problem on X3 2010 , save me lots of hassle and money.

My Cars
    2007 X3, 2007 328xi
    Hi All, I know this is an old post but you guys helped quite a bit. I had the same symptoms as the rest and couldn't separate the ride height sensor from the cables. I snipped them and all is right with the X3 until I get a new one.

Just putting it out there that this works as a quick and dirty method to save your battery and your sanity until you can get a replacement.

My Cars
    BMW x3
    Anyone help please, BMW claims that it has two sensor in the front and two in the back so how do you know which one is bad and causing all the crazy high beams, turn signal and emergency light to stay on. Any input will greatly appreciated

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    Quote Originally Posted by jessewimberly View Post
    Just putting it out there that this works as a quick and dirty method to save your battery and your sanity until you can get a replacement.
    Thank you, just found and disconnected the sensor until I receive the new one that I ordered. No unwanted turn signal and high beam.

2 Tommynlucy2621: I don't see any height level sensor on driver's front wheel, only on passenger side.

My Cars
    BMW X3 2008
    Thank you to everyone on this thread for your comments, what a huge help. I never post on forums, but signed up just to say thanks to you guys. I'll run through the lead-up to this too, in case others are reading and having similar things occur. Sorry its a long read, but hopefully it can help others...

About 2 weeks ago i was driving up the highway and all my high beam and indicators started flashing randomly. (left mostly, then right for a while, then left again) I was only doing about 15mph due to traffic at the time. This continued for what felt like about 5-10 minutes. Then it just randomly stopped. Nothing else, back to normal again for the next couple of weeks.

3 days ago when i tried to start the car, it almost turned over, but then stopped and the lights all came on my dashboard and started flashing again. It felt like a low battery condition, but the lights made me think back to the highway incident earlier and that there might be more to it. The neighbor then happened to come past and said they saw my lights were left on last night. I definitely didn't leave them on as they are on automatic mode, and i remember walking about and watching the lights go off after pressing the remote to lock them (habit). They helped me jump-start the car and i drove around the city to charge the battery again. All seemed ok again, and i am thinking its either the battery is starting to wear out, or there is a wiring short-circuit/drain somewhere. I called BMW service and talked to my service advisor and described the symptoms - he said that all kinds of crazy stuff goes on with the car computer when the battery voltage drops below 10v.

So, today i got a new battery and installed it. Works fine, but when i turn on the ignition, the dashboard lights all illuminate again and start flashing again. After starting the car and idling for a while the lights settle down again and i turn the car off. It could just be settling down after having the battery disconnected and then re-installed again right? Well, then i lock up the car and go to walk away when both the drivers side front and rear lights stay on.. (sounds exactly like what the neighbors reported from a few nights ago) So.... off come the battery connectors again and i get onto google..

The rest of the story is simple.. I find this thread, i go back outside, connect up the battery, get under the passenger side front wheel and I pull the wiring connector out of my ride height sensor and literally watched the problems go away. So now, the wiring harness is now taped up and awaiting the replacement part to arrive. I can't believe such a small part can cause so many serious problems - badly designed in my books.

The part is often referred to as a Headlamp Level Sensor too, if you're looking for one.

My Cars
    X3
    Hi all,

I just registered to thank you all.

I have 2008 e83 which have same problems.

I went to dealer they worked on the car for 2 hours. They could not find the solutions.

I told them to check level sensor after I read your comments.

They try it and fixed the problems.

regards

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3

Thank You to everyone in this thread!!

I just wanted to say Thank You for all the messages in this chain/feed. The mechanics at BMW of Annapolis dismissed all of my requests to check this sensor, and wanted me to approve a minimum of 9 hours of labor plus $1200 to remove my dashboard. All which would not have corrected this issue. It was $100 part, that a friend who own's his own shop put in for me, for a total of $300. And the car is now fine. I can't thank you all enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mckchr67 View Post
    Yep that is what happened. On the e83 x3, they replaced 61353451624 - light module, shown as x3 specific pn, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=61353451624 , and 37146784697 - level sensor, shown as multiple model pn, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=37146784697

Other areas that they looked at but found nothing wrong were the instrument cluster, turn signal indicator/headlight dimmer.

Hopefully this helps people out of warranty that don't want to pay dealer costs.

My Cars
    2007 x3, 2004 325i
    Thank you for all your info......just happened to me yesterday I got my 325i out and am driving that,but am going to try this tmrw on my x3.....thanks again!!!!!

My Cars
    BMW X3
    I have a 2010 BMW X3, and I recently started experiencing the same problems with the left indicator and hi-beams always on.. On Youtube or google, they suggested it was the light module (very expensive). I removed the module, took it to a electronic repair store only for them to tell me there's nothing wrong with it, but after reading the posts on this forum I solved my problem. I removed the old headlight/height sensor (located behind the front passenger side wheel), and the problems stopped.. I ordered a new sensor ($108.00 CAD) from Rockauto.com and now waiting for new part to arrive. Easy DIY and a real money saver... Thanks to all for sharing your posts.

My Cars
    2009 X3
    Thank you so much for the info. My 2009 X3 was having the same issues with the left turn signal saying on, high beams on, and driver's side headlight and tail light staying on, even with the car turned off. Obvious problem for battery depletion. I did as described and disconnected the sensor and the issue went away. I then, in my own stupidity, connected it up once more to see if I could win the "mechanic lottery" and maybe some moisture got into the connect and caused the issue. Nope.
    Here is the bad part, I broke the plastic housing around the connector when taking it off the second time. Now what? I am not nearly as mechanically inclined, or patient, as most of you. Is there an easy fix? I believe that I need part 37146784697 for a replacement sensor. (The connector is double bagged and zip tied, safely out of the way). What can I do about the plastic housing on the connector? Is there a part that can be snapped back on around this? Thank you for the help!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast