Thread: 99 540iA E39 Past and Future Maintenance

My Cars
    99 BMW 540iA

99 540iA E39 Past and Future Maintenance

I bought this car at the end of last month and it has been a dream. Since I bought it from a used dealer that got it at auction, there is no real detailed report of maintenance. I got a car fax like report, so I do have some information. At 143k miles, what are things that should have been done, and what will need to be done soon?

Main reason I jumped on this 540iA because my mechanic (does my difficult maintenance, great guy) said it was sound.
    Last edited by Sider; 02-20-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Email Mike Miller for his maintenance schedule: AUSPUF2002@aol.com

Does your mechanic understand BMWs? You'll probably be due for some suspension parts replacements. Your guy s/b able to check for worn components.

If you're going to keep this car for a couple of years, you should assume minimal maintenance, and adhere to Mike's recommendations.
    Last edited by edjack; 02-20-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    99 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Email Mike Miller for his maintenance schedule: AUSPUF2002@aol.com

Does your mechanic understand BMWs? You'll probably be due for some suspension parts replacements. Your guy s/b able to check for worn components.

If you're going to keep this car for a couple of years, you should assume minimal maintenance, and adhere to Mike's recommendations.
    Yes, he does understand them. He checked the undercarriage and suspension and said it all looked in really good shape. Some new parts even. And email sent. Thanks for the response.

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Welcome here, enjoy the ride. The best assumption is that nothing was done. With 143K on the clock I'd recommend all fluids, filters i.e. oil,transmission, power steering, rear end, coolant and brakes including gas filter be done ASAP. When draining the engine oil, lay cheese cloth across the container an look for timing chain guide debris (until you can pull the lower pan).Insure the battery and charging are in good condition clean every electrical connection that's readily assessable. Then I'd clean the engine and bay to see what oil leaks will need to be addressed. Visually inspect the mounts, drive train and CV boots, brake pads, suspension, hoses, belts, etc. and formulate a game plan for each of the car systems.