Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Attention Sportwagon owners: Rear wiper fix!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi E61
    Thank you very much for your DIY piece. The hatch release switch on my "08 E61 was opening by itself so I looked for How to's on replacing it. None out there, but googled for a wiper arm fix and sure enough, this process let me change the switch out, check the wiper shaft for issues, and now it's good to go.
    Thanks again!!!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 320D E91
    Thanks for the guide - worked fine on my stuck E91 wiper with 2 changes:You don't need to do step 8. If the assembly is completely stuck like mine was, just leave it in and remove the shaft only to clean the hole, shaft and washers. Instead of applying the thin WD40'ish oil to the shaft before reassembly, I greased it hoping the grease would provide longer lasting lubrication.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    05 325it 05 M3 95 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneSL View Post
    Thanks for the guide - worked fine on my stuck E91 wiper with 2 changes:You don't need to do step 8. If the assembly is completely stuck like mine was, just leave it in and remove the shaft only to clean the hole, shaft and washers. Instead of applying the thin WD40'ish oil to the shaft before reassembly, I greased it hoping the grease would provide longer lasting lubrication.
    Welcome to the Forum!

You could skip step 8, true but that just how my mind works is all.

Yes if you don't want to be going back in there again 6-9 months later, pack it full of grease. I had to learn that the first time and for some reason I cannot update my own thread.
    Darin
    Current:
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon (Original Owner)
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunkliner! Mr. Go_Fast (Stored for the Winter, 2nd Owner)
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) a work in progress - Winter Car! (10th Owner; That is what happens when it gets passed around by Soldiers!)
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/375k+! (2nd Owner)
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 motor, such a beater, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG (2nd Owner)
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E61
    Follow this today and fixed my wiper, thank you. I couldn't shift the wiper rod by hand, so I used a three armed puller and came out easy, so I would recommend adding this to the tool list.

My Cars
    05 325it 05 M3 95 318is
    Thank-you, as I didn't think of that for folks whose arm is frozen.
    Darin
    Current:
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon (Original Owner)
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunkliner! Mr. Go_Fast (Stored for the Winter, 2nd Owner)
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) a work in progress - Winter Car! (10th Owner; That is what happens when it gets passed around by Soldiers!)
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/375k+! (2nd Owner)
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 motor, such a beater, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG (2nd Owner)
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6

I broke it!

So my wiper was moving slower and slower so I decided to follow the steps. Got stuck on the 8th step but decided to move forward and take the shaft out while the whole assembly was still on the car as many of you did.

Got the wiper to move by hand and made it a bit less stuck but it didn't come out, WD-40 and nothing, hammer... nothing. So as Davmol I decided to buy the right tool for the job, a puller. Screwed the 24mm nut back half way to serve as fix point for the puller and again nothing! Didn't move at all! Put back the wiper arm and started tightening the puller while moving the wiper, managed to push it inside around 1mm but had to take the wiper arm out as it was already touching the 24mm nut.
    Now had to push only with the puller. and BANG, the "screw" where the 24 mm nut was broke apart and half of it's treads remained inside the nut that flew away!

Now I really think I need to look for a whole new assembly and hope that I can manage to take the broken one from the glass... Lets see how much BMW Finland will ask for it.

Happy 2018!!!!
    Last edited by pedrocalima; 01-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    05 325it 05 M3 95 318is
    I think you missed Step 9, the small clip that holds the shaft in. Once that clip is removed, you can pull the shaft out if it is moving.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6
    First thanks a lot for the step by step guide! I was so frustrated yesterday that I just started writing.

I took the clip out, it's crazy stuck, never thought it would be this hard.

Was reading more around and looks like some other guys could not take it out and ended up drilling through with biger bids until they managed to take the whole assembly out. I managed to buy the whole assembly for 100 euros but couldn't take the old out yet. Considering the drilling now but that will be a headache....

Will let you know how this ends, if it one day ends

Cheers!

My Cars
    05 325it 05 M3 95 318is
    I would have a look at the wreckers then. I just find it odd that you could move the wiper, but not push out the shaft as the only thing holding the shaft in is that small clip. I have fixed about a dozen or so already of my friends cars like this, and only 1 was an issues as it was completely frozen. Most of the series are similar, some have a rubber O-Ring seal, while others use a wave washer.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12