Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Attention Sportwagon owners: Rear wiper fix!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi E61
    Thank you very much for your DIY piece. The hatch release switch on my "08 E61 was opening by itself so I looked for How to's on replacing it. None out there, but googled for a wiper arm fix and sure enough, this process let me change the switch out, check the wiper shaft for issues, and now it's good to go.
    Thanks again!!!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 320D E91
    Thanks for the guide - worked fine on my stuck E91 wiper with 2 changes:You don't need to do step 8. If the assembly is completely stuck like mine was, just leave it in and remove the shaft only to clean the hole, shaft and washers. Instead of applying the thin WD40'ish oil to the shaft before reassembly, I greased it hoping the grease would provide longer lasting lubrication.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneSL View Post
    Thanks for the guide - worked fine on my stuck E91 wiper with 2 changes:You don't need to do step 8. If the assembly is completely stuck like mine was, just leave it in and remove the shaft only to clean the hole, shaft and washers. Instead of applying the thin WD40'ish oil to the shaft before reassembly, I greased it hoping the grease would provide longer lasting lubrication.
    Welcome to the Forum!

You could skip step 8, true but that just how my mind works is all.

Yes if you don't want to be going back in there again 6-9 months later, pack it full of grease. I had to learn that the first time and for some reason I cannot update my own thread.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E61
    Follow this today and fixed my wiper, thank you. I couldn't shift the wiper rod by hand, so I used a three armed puller and came out easy, so I would recommend adding this to the tool list.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Thank-you, as I didn't think of that for folks whose arm is frozen.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6

I broke it!

So my wiper was moving slower and slower so I decided to follow the steps. Got stuck on the 8th step but decided to move forward and take the shaft out while the whole assembly was still on the car as many of you did.

Got the wiper to move by hand and made it a bit less stuck but it didn't come out, WD-40 and nothing, hammer... nothing. So as Davmol I decided to buy the right tool for the job, a puller. Screwed the 24mm nut back half way to serve as fix point for the puller and again nothing! Didn't move at all! Put back the wiper arm and started tightening the puller while moving the wiper, managed to push it inside around 1mm but had to take the wiper arm out as it was already touching the 24mm nut.
    Now had to push only with the puller. and BANG, the "screw" where the 24 mm nut was broke apart and half of it's treads remained inside the nut that flew away!

Now I really think I need to look for a whole new assembly and hope that I can manage to take the broken one from the glass... Lets see how much BMW Finland will ask for it.

Happy 2018!!!!
    Last edited by pedrocalima; 01-02-2018 at 01:30 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I think you missed Step 9, the small clip that holds the shaft in. Once that clip is removed, you can pull the shaft out if it is moving.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1981 e21 320/6
    First thanks a lot for the step by step guide! I was so frustrated yesterday that I just started writing.

I took the clip out, it's crazy stuck, never thought it would be this hard.

Was reading more around and looks like some other guys could not take it out and ended up drilling through with biger bids until they managed to take the whole assembly out. I managed to buy the whole assembly for 100 euros but couldn't take the old out yet. Considering the drilling now but that will be a headache....

Will let you know how this ends, if it one day ends

Cheers!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would have a look at the wreckers then. I just find it odd that you could move the wiper, but not push out the shaft as the only thing holding the shaft in is that small clip. I have fixed about a dozen or so already of my friends cars like this, and only 1 was an issues as it was completely frozen. Most of the series are similar, some have a rubber O-Ring seal, while others use a wave washer.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    BMW 3 Series Touring 07
    I’m having serious problems, I managed to remove the shaft (a lot of lubricant and a lot of persuasion with the mole grips and mallet) but now I can not remove the unit through the tail glass, attached a M16 nut to the threads been lubricating and bashing it but won’t budge. I have removed the M8 nuts off the threads under neathed wondering if the whole unit has been glued to the back of the tail glass? Does it come unstuck with a bit of heat?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If you have removed the big 24mm nut on the outside, the two 10mm on the inside and it is still stuck to the glass? There should be a plastic washer/gasket under the 24mm IIRC.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I S-Wagon
    Great thread I also had the same problem on my 2003 E46 Sport Wagon and worked great thank you for that very informative thread.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 330d SE Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashto01l View Post
    I’m having serious problems, I managed to remove the shaft (a lot of lubricant and a lot of persuasion with the mole grips and mallet) but now I can not remove the unit through the tail glass, attached a M16 nut to the threads been lubricating and bashing it but won’t budge. I have removed the M8 nuts off the threads under neathed wondering if the whole unit has been glued to the back of the tail glass? Does it come unstuck with a bit of heat?
    I've just had exactly that problem on my E91. The shaft assembly felt loose after removing all the nuts, but wouldn't move far at all. After a lot of WD40 and moving things around, I was trying to use screwdrivers etc. to pry the shaft out. No joy. In the end, after a few days of trying, I've changed approach. I've just gently heated the shaft with a blow torch (being careful not to catch the plastic hand/switch and the rubber gromit). After doing that a few times, it started to come free. SUCCESS!

The shaft was totally f*cked, corroded to hell and stuck in its hole. I've replaced it and all is as good as new. Well (meh!) except one of the interior bolt cover trim pieces hasn't gone back - a plastic tab broke off. I'll survive.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, I have seen the same thing happen a couple of months ago on a E91, the shaft was corradiated. I think the best advice I can give is to keep checking the freedom of movement on that arm every couple of months, and when it starts to bog down, clean it.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 bmw 318ci
    Hi all, apologies for bumping this thread. Took delivery of a 2012 E91 318d. Nice enough car, but the rear wiper isn't retiring to completely horizontal. I can push it flat with my hand, but it really should do it itself. There any easy fixes i can try?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Can you move it by hand with the glass open? Most of the time if you cannot then the motor is also struggling to make it work properly. Now if you can move it thru the full range of motion, then I would say that it isn't installed properly.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    e39 530d 2003 wagon euro
    absolutely useless tutorial.
    for easy case scenarios
    waste of time
    when it is seized, nothing of this applies

value of this tutorial is about 20%

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well butter my biscuits, so sorry for wasting your time when it helped well over 100 people.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    bmw 520i
    Thank you for the DIY! When my wiper started moving slow and not all the way over to the other side, i was worried i had to buy a new motor, but with this i fixed it. Good job!

My Cars
    1999 E46 Touring 318i
    For cases that it is not straight forward as shown here, i.e. Assembly stuck to glass, I found that the best option is to not force the assembly off but rather focus on getting the axle itself to move. Once that is done, the retaining clip can be removed, push the axle inward while rotating the axle to and fro.

It took me 30 mins per day for 2-3 days to figure this out as i was taking great care not to crack the glass or break the assembly.

I used mole grips on the wiper axle arm at the back of the glass as leverage to make it rotate. I did not remove the entire assembly and it makes it easier to rotate the axle itself this way. Now my wiper is working and thanks again for this DIY post.

I hope this helps people in similar case as me.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Thank-you for the input, and yes you can just remove the shaft and leave the housing in the glass. For some folks who have to soak it, sometimes it's just easier to remove it completely.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi
    Glad I found this thread, as I have an '08 328Xi with a seized rear wiper. The motor is fine, but it's the assembly that's stuck. I had it taken out and cleaned a few years ago by our local shade-tree mechanic, and it worked for almost two years. But now it's not budging. The DIY looks fairly straightforward... my only question is, when you say "pack it with grease," what do you mean "it" - all the moving parts? And is there a particular kind of grease that is best? (Someone else upthread said theirs "turned to glue" over time." Anyway, thanks for this!
    Last edited by bscepter; 01-27-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    2008 328xi Sport Wagon 6-speed, sport package

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Where the shaft goes into the housing, inside the housing is where you would put the grease. I have found that lubing it up, works much better than anything like silicone or similar. I have used high temp axel grease for this, and it has been in there for about 6 years now and still moves easily.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Where the shaft goes into the housing, inside the housing is where you would put the grease. I have found that lubing it up, works much better than anything like silicone or similar. I have used high temp axel grease for this, and it has been in there for about 6 years now and still moves easily.
    Awesome. Thanks!

My Cars
    '11 328i, '08 328xi
    So, I'm stuck (literally) at step 8. The assembly won't even begin to budge. I've hit the shaft with a dead-blow hammer and nothing. Used penetrating oil. Nothing. I don't want to break anything either, so I'm at a loss as to what to do. I can't even order a new Wipershaft Pivot because I can't get the old one out.

Those using vice grips (mole grips) - what are you attaching them to? I'm worried about crushing the threads or splines if I resort to using them. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    2008 328xi Sport Wagon 6-speed, sport package

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast