Thread: Issues with newly purchased '09 335.

My Cars
    1998 750il

Issues with newly purchased '09 335.

Wow, what a great car! I've had a quite a few different BMW's and just recently sold my 98 750il. I was lucky enough to grab a CPO 335i xdrive couple with 10 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty. Premium package, sport package and nav. Silver on black.

I had to drive it home in some crappy weather, I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up again.

I did notice a few issues that I'd like some input on. Of course I first searched the web for answers but came up with a ton of conflicting results. Here are the issues...

1. Will not play DVD's. Yes I have the car in park with the e-brake pulled. I get a "Format Unreadable" message. I checked the VIN of my car and the dvd code says it's coded for 1 which is what I would need. Any guesses?

2. iPhone 5 and iPad 4 come up as Unsupported when I plug them into the USB slots. They do charge, but won't play. The aux jack does work fine though. Shouldn't I be able to use the USB to charge and play music?

3. Music doesn't play over Bluetooth but phone calls work fine. I think this may be due to me not having an option? Also, when I'm connected with Bluetooth using Siri or Google Talk is a nightmare, the car has no idea what the hell is going on.

4. Delayed/Sluggish volume controls. Twice I've tried to increase the volume of music and nothing happened, once via the steering wheel controls and once with the volume knob. 5 seconds later the system kicked in and the volume was crazy loud. The safe assumption is that it was loud due to me increasing the volume so much without anything happened. Nothing else in the computer seems slow, just the volume randomly having a delay which sucks.

Aside from those issues, I'm loving this car.

My Cars
    135is, 335i, 1999 328is
    I don't know about 2009, but for my 2007 bluetooth only works for phone - not music. To play music through the iPhone/pad you need more than just USB. There is a special y-adapter - likely one of these:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...22&hg=65&fg=95

Best bet is to go to the dealer and have them tell you which part to order.

I've occasionally had the volume issue you mention. I think it all depends on what the system is doing - it's likely busy right after start-up. Someone here will know which operating system the '09 has, but mine is windows-based.
    Got it, thanks...
    - Search the forum first
    - Check REALOEM for part numbers

My Cars
    08 335i step sport prem
    DVD player is for the Navigation disc. AFAIK only a rear seat DVD player will play actual movies unless an aftermarket is installed, the Nav/iDrive screen doesn't have the resolution for it.

Music will not play via Bluetooth to my knowledge. USB cord will charge your phone AUX for music or use the "Y" cable mentioned above which combines the USB and AUX into one 30pin adaptor for your iPhone4/4s. For the 5 you will need to buy the 30>lightning from apple and stick it on there. As to the "Y" adaptor, ask your dealer if the car should come with one, my dealer(Crevier) gave me one with my car.

For using Siri or talk to text option on your phone just give it about 1sec after it mutes the music to speak, seems to work fine for me just have to get used to the timing.

The volume controls can be sluggish on start up or when your navigation is updating traffic information but mostly when starting up or sometimes switching music input(AUX to FM to CD). Simply push the volume button as if to mute it and it will snap back. I have all the same issues with mine just takes getting used to and you respond to them almost with muscle memory once you do.
    Last edited by KenU8187; 02-17-2013 at 03:17 AM.